And The Doctor's new companion is...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
... a contemporary woman in her 20s. For a change.

Ah well. I was hoping for a non-contemporary companion. Pearl Mackie as Bill.

[video=youtube;YaLficIRInM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLficIRInM[/video]

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
well thats boring, another one on the list and she's a Londoner to boot!

I was really hoping they'd go with Rakhee Thakrar, since having a Muslim companion might give an interesting perspective on things and be topical in its own right.

Oh well, I'll watch and then probably do a marathon catch up at the end of next year

Anyone seen Pearl Mackie perform? I'm sure she's a fine actress but the inquisitive lippy portrayal in the clip was a bit annoying. Also aren't aliens now suppose to be public knowledge in the Whoverse? especially in regularly invaded London

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
She looks promising. And her reaction to seeing Daleks for the first time without having the context of them being super-powerful killing machines is pretty spot-on.

It'd be nice not to have every single long-running companion be female, though. That was one nice thing about the Amy-and-Rory years, though it was obvious Rory was there primarily because Amy was, rather than through his own sense of adventure. I wouldn't mind seeing more of an ensemble crew in the TARDIS again - 2-3 regular companions, as was often the case in the old series.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The primary companion is going to be a modern person for the forseeable future, especially when they're taking a big pause between seasons, since she acts as a surrogate for new audience members.

Your hopes of non-21st century companions or non-Brits really are only going to be fulfilled when there are multiple companions at the same time, like in the Jack Harkness era. The audience already had Rose and Mickey as surrogates -- Harkness could be an interesting element of the show, rather than someone to explain it to newbies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Or why there's no space between "as" and "Bill". Weird. It's the BBC - that's not a mistake.

image.png

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Or why there's no space between "as" and "Bill". Weird. It's the BBC - that's not a mistake.

View attachment 76376

the BBC doesn't make mistakes? That's amazing!

Though I would say that as they animated the name bits slamming down onto the screen, they had an opportunity to realize something was off as it's only 3 slams, one per word. So maybe her name really is Peal Mackie asBill.

She did ask some good questions though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
the BBC doesn't make mistakes? That's amazing!

Not what I said. I proffered an opinion that something as big as that is very unlikely to have such an elementary error as that, and that the likelihood is that it was deliberate.

It *might* be a mistake (anything' possible, after all), but I very much doubt it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases