D&D 5E Do NPCs in your game have PHB classes?

How common is it for NPCs in your world to be built using the classes in the Player’s Handbook?

• All NPCs (or all NPCs with combat or spellcasting capabilities) have class levels.

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Class levels are common for NPCs, but not universal.

Votes: 54 31.0%
  • NPCs with class levels are rare.

Votes: 87 50.0%
  • Only player characters have class levels.

Votes: 29 16.7%

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I’m curious as to how common it is for NPCs in various campaigns to be built using the classes presented in the Player’s Handbook. This question ties into both world building (How special is a 1st level character?) and game prep (Is putting together stats for NPCs a worthwhile use of time? Do characters build using PHB rules make interesting adversaries?), so I’m interested in seeing not just the poll responses but the reasoning behind them.

For my part, I chose the second option: “Class levels are common for NPCs, but not universal.” In my world, first and second level characters, especially fighters and rogues, are fairly common. New recruits into the army might not be fighters, but most veterans will be (Spellcasters are somewhat rarer, as the world is relatively low magic, but anyone who does use magic was probably built using one of the PHB classes). This means that first level characters are competent but relatively unexceptional in their training but that they have the ability to distinguish themselves relatively quickly, as higher level NPCs become increasingly rare. I've found this philosophy to work very well but see how others with different worldbuilding assumptions or less interest in using prep time to build characters could have different preferences.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I usually don't give PC classes to NPCs. When I DM'd 3e, I got so burned out on using the PC creation rules to make NPCs, particularly high-level NPC foes, that I was practically giddy when 4e offered a different way to handle it.

So no, I don't usually make NPCs as if they were PCs. I may give them some PC class abilities, but I steer clear of giving them actual class levels whenever possible.

akr71

Hero
Some do, some don't. The ones that do are usually available to travel/adventure with the party. Sometimes the NPC is available for help (a particular skill set is lacking) or the quest giver (me) has stated that the NPC will join them (for a time at least). It makes encounters easier, but siphons off a share of the XP.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The only time that an NPC gets class levels in my campaigns are when those NPCs are specifically adventurer companions of the party that are meant to be permanent non-employed allies mechanically operated by the players but given voice and personality by the DM - every other type of NPC gets a treatment like the NPCs in the Monster Manual appendix; hit dice, special abilities like spellcasting or multiple attacks, but not actually a specific level in a specific class with all the features attached to such.

Basically, NPC Archmage = yes; NPC 18th level wizard = no (unless a permanent party member in an appropriately-leveled party)

I wish it was as easy to give NPCs class levels as it was in 3E, but due to the increased complexity of classes and the annoying CR calculations, I had to avoid the topic for this campaign.

In my current game, there are about a dozen individuals who have class levels, with a couple dozen more who nominally have class levels but actually use the simplified NPC statistics (mostly mages, archmages, and liches - all wizard variants). Anyone with more than two hit dice is explicitly a supernatural being.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Giving an npc 2 levels of fighter (for second wind and action surge) is fun. And some npcs get spells as if they were leveled as a caster. Those are the most common mods in my games.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
NPCs with PHB class levels are fairly common. Even more common are NPCs with NPC class levels. So I voted the second choice in the poll.

Since 1E I have given many NPCs, including orcs, goblins, lizardmen (lizardfolk) and such class levels. When NPC classes came out, I started using them as well. (I was not a fan of giving all monsters class levels, just the humanoids.)

S

Sunseeker

I've started to, yes, because I simply don't like the way humanoid "monsters" are built. So most guards will be Lvl1-5 Fighters, some of the bigger churches will have Paladins and Clerics of the same level ranges, the King's Guard are typically higher level "soldier types" either Fighters, Paladins. battle-clerics, etc... Barbarian tribes will literally be barbarians, druids are druids, cult leaders are often warlocks, etc...

Honestly, I rather like it. Lets my NPCs do more on their turns and leads to more interesting combats and interactions. Sure, it's more bookeeping, more overhead, but once you stat out 1-20 of a given class with generic stats, you only need to print out the appropriate level, slap the appropriate name and description on it and boom, done.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases