Skype Game! Text only: "Alternate Timeline Forgotten Realms" game Tuesdays 7pm EST

chadm

First Post
Introduction to the System:
We're using a very simple system, similar to Risus. If you can google, you'll be able to find the 4 page pdf in minutes lf the Risus system, not that you'll need it. See below. We won't even be using that whole system, just its inspiration behind cliches. We will get into more of that later.

**In short, you pick a few cliches to help define your character. As long as you're not afraid to ask questions, you'll be fine! Send me your skype in a PM and we'll get started. In short, you have traits, for example "Archery" and you have a set number of dice in this. If you had 2 dice in archery (out of 10 total dice for your character), then you can roll 2d6 when you go to roll your archery stat. A higher result is a better result, and this will be revealed in the gameplay. As time goes on, additional dice will be available in different stats, similar to any levelling up system.**

I have two people, and I am recruiting two more for a game that we'll play on Skype on Tuesdays at 7pm EST.
It's set in Calimport, around the second month of 1372. Not quite canon, though. (See the population below, for example, and the artifact)

**So basically, you get 10 points, and you can put either 1 point or 2 points into each cliche/trait (So you'll have at least 5 different cliches)
A cliche is something you define but it should be clear. For example, "Athletics" is vague -- do you mean stamina, strength, jumping, or speed, etc. "Acrobatics" on the other hand, is more specific. Something like "Sneaky Circus Rat" is a powerful cliche that seems to cover stealth and acrobatics in one. We don't want to leverage our powers too often -- it's more about thinking and writing than using dice to solve problems, but you have powers for a reason, and we'll use them. We will tune your cliches/traits more once we talk about your character and ambitions.**

You don't have to have a magic stat, but if you do, it should be clear whether it's divine or arcane magic and your relationship with the deity of choice, etc. Religion/magic in Faerun are something you'll want to brush up on if you're completely new to this subject.

I suggest one "combat stat," one "magic stat" and the other 3+ being utility stats/traits (For example, Immortal(1) is a trait, not a cliche. It's not something to roll, but it's something you could assign a point to.)

The Setting : Calimport, a Desert metropolis of 2 million.

The city of Calimport has prospered for ages, being a highly magical city and one of ancient power. Traditionally, it was a fairly safe place. Nobody dared attack.

Lately, a powerful artifact has been completed for the citizens, and they no longer have to eat or drink. They only have to sleep 4 hours. All due to something similar to a mythal.

The bad news is that a new group (The Zhentarim/Zen) have invested a large amount of money in the city. They came from out of nowhere, and for now it has paid off. They have recruited many locals, and brought in many "Zen" from the North. It's up to you to to stop them! There's way too many to do anything overt, though, we have missed that opportunity before we know they were among us.

The local Zen Keep is not quite finished or fully staffed. You hope to force them out before they complete this and begin building more bases in the city. People are already going missing. Suffice it to say, the party will be recruited by a good organization to do a sneak attack on the Banite Temple (associated with, but not, the Zen Keep) next session.

The Banites won't know who hit them after the deed is done. As long as they don't know who their enemies are, the party has a chance. This will make the Zen think twice about setting up any further bases here. Hopefully, to leave entirely! And hopefully that temple has a little loot we can take before we torch the place!

The "Good organization" and its allies (you) might need to "Do what needs doing" when it comes to dealing with the Zen. Have fun with it! This is going to require a lot of funds, and a lot of successful sneakiness. And morality, when dealing with the Zen, should be considered very subjective. The mutual best interest of the good is to remove the Zen, so actions to further that goal are good. We want to undermine them using creativity and subtlety, and hopefully it won't take long. Your allies have plans. You will have their help.

Minor Points:

We won't be using the dice system or combat system of Risus per se -- but opposed dice rolls will come in. I don't expect a lot of direct combat, but you will see what happens when we get there.

There will be a little magic to start with and some to come later. It won't be 'by the book' magic. Tell me what you want to be able to do, and we'll be creative.

**My main questions will be how did you get here, where have you been, what do you want to do here, just the basics covered so we have future plans in order. More complex than Just fighting Zhents, you must also "have a life" for example, to provide inspiration for side-quests and things to do once the Zhentarim are removed, and to answer the questions of what you've been doing before the Zhentarim arrived.**

Final notes:

Drop me your skype and we can get going with character-building and get you into the game asap :)

Last edited:

Remove ads