DMs Guild Can You Fund A DMs Guild Product On Kickstarter?

Back in January, WotC's Mike Mearls was asked that question; he replied "Yes, but be sure to look at the terms of use for the DM's Guild to make sure you understand how they apply to your product." It seems that OneBookShelf (the company which runs DMs Guild for WotC) has now clarified this statement to make it clear that while you can theoretically fund a product via Kickstarter, you can't distribute it via that platform.

DMsGuild-Logo.png

DLI Media, which launched a Kickstarter for an adventure trilogy this week, was told by OBS' Director of Publishing and Marketing:

Someone linked us to your Kickstarter and I wanted to touch base about a few things. DMsGuild creators cannot release titles on both DMsGuild and DriveThruRPG and they cannot use Kickstarter to "sell" their DMsGuild publications.

The wording on your Kickstarter makes me think this is more of an OGL type product, which is great because we have a ton of awesome 5e OGL content on DriveThruRPG and you are already set up to sell there.

You would only need to remove the DMsGuild elements (logos and text) from your Kickstarter page and continue on with your plans to sell on and fulfill your project via DriveThruRPG.com.

The email was followed up with further clarification:

The issue is you are in violation of the license on DMsGuild with your Kickstarter. All DMsGuild creations must remain exclusive to that storefront. They cannot be sold on DriveThruRPG, other storefronts, nor via Kickstarter tiers.

While it is true someone could run a Kickstarter to fund artwork or development of a DMsGuild title, they cannot offer tiers that provide backers copies of the title product. So, I imagine tiers would have to be "special thanks" or "game with the designer at Gen Con" or "your likeness used as one of the NPCs" all backers would still have to buy the book on DMsGuild once it launched as the publisher wouldn't be able to sell them a copy via crowdfunding.

Which is pretty much what's been said all along. No big surprises. It seems that it's a simple problem with a simple solution, though: allow publishers on DMsG to send complimentary products from that platform.

The DMsGuild license specifically agreed to by content creators states that all DMG titles are exclusive to the DMsGuild.com storefront. Putting the PDF on Kickstarter violates that exclusivity. You are specifically listing your title (understanding that it isn't officially released yet) on another site and not on DMsGuild. It wouldn't be available on DMsGuild until after you've collected funds and finished the project.

DMsGuild creators do not currently have the tool set to upload PoD files themselves.

It does sound like making adjustments and releasing this title on DriveThruRPG as a 5e OGL product would work better for your overall setup.

So, right now, Kickstarter isn't much use for DMsG products. But it sounds like some minor technical changes could solve that. In the meantime, if you want to create a 5E product and fund it via Kickstarter, the best bet is to produce an OGL product instead, like many companies are already doing.

So, no big news or anything, but a clarification that some folks might find useful before going ahead with their Kickstarters!

In other news, both Margaret Weis Productions Cortex+, and Mongoose Publishing Traveller, are the latest OBS DMsG-style third-party stores to open up, with Monte Cook Games' Cypher System store opening very soon. Seems to be a popular model! OBS refers to these as "Community Content Programs".

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
My Kickstarter is the one in question... I seem to have a habit of bringing licensing issues to light, don't I?

Basically what they're saying is that I CAN use Kickstarter to fund the creation of a project... but I can't actually *give* it to my backers as a reward. In other words, they can pay me through Kickstarter, but once it's done they have to go to the DM's Guild to actually buy the product like everyone else. I apparently can't even give them a discount coupon or nothing.

Also, one thing I admit I wasn't aware of: DM's Guild currently does not provide any means to create hardcopies of anything. So there's no way to provide coupons for anything. My only choice to fulfill the $15 level is the OGL. UPDATE: Apparently, if I really wanted to do it, OBS staff can upload files for hardcopies through their own internal administrative interface (which I assume is the same interface as the normal DTRPG admin panel), but those interfaces are not yet available in the DM's Guild for the general public (and, I'm venturing to guess, never will be).

Last edited by a moderator:

Reinhart

First Post
For several Kickstarters I've funded in the past I received coupons to download my product through OneBookShelf. Perhaps that's the proper solution? The funders still get their product, but it has to work through OBS links. However, as I'm still on the customer end of this system I still don't know how OBS's cut factors into these coupons.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For several Kickstarters I've funded in the past I received coupons to download my product through OneBookShelf. Perhaps that's the proper solution? The funders still get their product, but it has to work through OBS links. However, as I'm still on the customer end of this system I still don't know how OBS's cut factors into these coupons.

That's the problem. DMsG lacks that functionality for publishers.

Reinhart

First Post
Yes, it seems like such a simple solution, given that they already have it working throughout the rest of the OBS store system. If DMsG lacks that feature, it makes me think there may have been an intentional reason to disable it.

It seems to me in general that these approaches (Kickstarter or Patreon) are attempts to get around the 50% cut that the DMsG gets for products sold on their site. In short, it would be like trying to get a store to allow you to use their logo and storefront and hand out coupons to people you scalp tickets to at a lower price.

Sunsword

Adventurer
I think the problem is that if you fund a DMsGuild product with Kickstarter, WotC isn't getting their cut of those sales. Part of the beauty of the DMsGuild is that we can use their IPs and they generate revenue. I understand their decision on this.

Monkey King

Explorer
Seems like the easy solution is just to avoid DM's Guild for Kickstarters.

It's meant to be a closed shop, so why not distribute the Kickstarter's rewards via DriveThru, Tabletop Library, or the publisher's own webstore?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Seems like the easy solution is just to avoid DM's Guild for Kickstarters.

It's meant to be a closed shop, so why not distribute the Kickstarter's rewards via DriveThru, Tabletop Library, or the publisher's own webstore?

Yeah. I'm not seeing the problem. A properly run Kickstater will make far more money than anybody will make for the same product on DMsG.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases