Proposal: The Silver Rose or The Shining Bloom

Snot Snottington

First Post
Worked on this, out of curiosity, while waiting for feedback on the character sheet issue. Received that, but didn't want to stop writing this. Looking forward to feedback (formatting can be fixed, but really want content feedback :) )

Diety: Ginobara
Title: The Silver Rose, The Shining Bloom
Alignment: Neutral Good
Sex: Female
Alignment: LN/N/CN/NG/LG/CG
Domains: Animal, Glory, Knowledge, Travel, Weather
Weapon: Bow (Long or Short)

Summary: Ginobara is favored by those who seek to travel, not for fame or fortune, although to some followers these things can come. Instead they travel to simply discover what there is in the world, as they are guided by the Silver Rose to discover. It seems discovery and the reactions of her followers to the wonders of the world, rather by her hand or that of another Deity, drive her desire to spread her influence. Not one who cares about controlling the world of mortals, however, she contents herself to those who follow her clues to her service. She has a varied array of followers, but most are either from Druidic paths or those who hunt, such as Rangers. Her following is small, and surprisingly almost entirely female. Not entirely, however.

History

Worship of The Silver Rose began among the younger daughters of farmers. Those who found themselves toiling away, yet discontented with their lot. Seeking something better than marriage to a dimwitted buffoon of a neighboring farmer or a life under the red light, these women forged a bond, referred to as the Silver Sisterhood. They swore to assist each other, to stand by each other and to, someday, as a group, leave the farm life and strike out on their own. Most of them kept this word and, together, they set off. Well prepared in the way of supplies, and even able to defend themselves from bandits and wild animals, the group traveled almost blindly. One day, the girl who had become, to a fashion, leader of the group spotted something that had not, to her knowledge, been near their campsite the night before. A small pool. Not big enough to be a pond. The early morning light reflected from the surface in a silvery hue. Seeing this as a stroke of luck, she grabbed empty skins and began to fill them, giving silent thanks to whomever had left the water.

Almost every morning, this girl awoke first, and found such a pool near camp. It was early in the fifth week of their travels, as many were beginning to complain of the lack of beds, proper bathing and other necessities, that the pool she found was not roughly circular, like the others, but was shaped almost as an arrow. It seemed to point into a dense, yet not uninviting grove of trees. Listening to her instincts, she lead the rag-tag band into the trees, explaining shelter from the sun was a good idea. Perhaps, she had reasoned, small animals or fruit could be found. Fungus even. Something not dried and salted.

Into the trees the girls traveled, for four hours. Until the came across a clearing that seemed to come from nowhere. Within the clearing was a path that wound in a circle around a clearing. In the clearing, haloed by sunlight somehow finding its way through, stood a single, silver rose. As the leader approached it, a sound behind them caused all of the girls to turn fast. Behind them, the trees had blocked their exit. Fearing a trap of the worst kind, their makeshift weapons were drawn. At this, a light, feminine voice giggled in the grove, echoing.

“Most interesting. Tired as you are from following the path here, you still would attempt to defend yourself. Yet you are not truly threatened here.”

The leading girl looked around, and shouted out for them speaker to show themselves.

“In good time, my daughter. In good time. You are safe within this place. My guardians will prevent anything from causing you harm. Unless you attempt to cause harm first.”

A rustling sound drew her attention. From the other end of the path, which was also blocked, a melon vine had snaked into the clearing, loaded with many fresh, ripe melons.

“Take only the ripe ones. You need the nouishment. It will also, I hope, help to rest your fears. You have followed my trail of water to this place.”

The conversation that followed grew more and more intense as the Silver Rose introduced herself, and offered her support for those brave enough to have undertaken this journey. This group was the first to call themselves The Silver Sisterhood, or Daughters of the Rose. Over time, they raised a temple to the Goddess, modest and cool. The Rose that was in the clearing died soon after the completion of the temple. The next morning, a fresh rose had grown within the central sanctuary, in a spot where it was always to be haloed by sunlight.

Soon, a few men arrived, to both keep the women company and to help with labor. The temple became the center piece for a small village, said to be in a valley guarded by the forest. A forest that can only be found by those who know the path, or who are being led there by The Silver Rose herself.

A few of the Sisterhood entered the world, seeking new followers, guided to them by The Silver Rose. These were usually fairly young in age and normally, but not always, female. Those who had the attributes that the Silver Rose was seeking, would be brought to one of the Sisterhood, seemingly by happenstance, with the intent that they take training from them. At this point they are considered an Initiate. They serve as a squire, of sorts, to the Sister who trains them. Learning about not only the Silver Rose, but all that the Sister can tell of the world at large. After passing the Initiate phase, the student becomes what is called a Thorn. Sharp. Rough. Jagged. Yet able to function alone to protect the Silver Rose, and the Sisterhood. At this point, the Sister sets them to tasks, helping them learn skills, perfect themselves and to let them strengthen their personal bond to the Silver Rose. At this point they become marked with the tattoo of a silver rose on the palm of their left hand, stem at the wrist to bloom just below the base of their fingers. Tendrils beneath the bloom have a tendency to spell the initials of their Sister, should something ever happen.

From here, the Thorn will continue as she has been set to do, eventually left to her own to identify the will of the Silver Rose and follow her clues to the completion of her mission. Once she has sufficiently pleased her Goddess, she will will be guided to the Silver Valley, as it is called, where she will become a full member of the Sisterhood, likely to be sent out again into the world, to help locate the next Initiate.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I think this is great work but I'm going to be brutally honest here. I think we have more than enough naturey, travel, hunter goddesses. I would rather see this as an expansion to Ruvalra or one of the other Tritower goddesses. A special order within the worship of one of those goddesses.

I also have a small issue with the Thorn name. We have an evil elven philosophy/practice called 'the Flower and the Thorn' and I think something so similarly named would cause confusion.

Snot Snottington

First Post
I think this is great work but I'm going to be brutally honest here. I think we have more than enough naturey, travel, hunter goddesses. I would rather see this as an expansion to Ruvalra or one of the other Tritower goddesses. A special order within the worship of one of those goddesses.

I also have a small issue with the Thorn name. We have an evil elven philosophy/practice called 'the Flower and the Thorn' and I think something so similarly named would cause confusion.

The more I researched last night, looking for the right fit for Doriandra, the more I started to think just the items you posted above. That perhaps an organization within her followers named The Silver Rose might be the way to go. Changing the tattoo to a mark on their person or gear (for an archer, as Doriandra is currently designed, her glove would be a good place to put one, fluff style) would work better. This would also eliminate the structure that involved the Thorn level. Or perhaps even an Order of the Rose (although that might also be an issue? Sure someone has something similar, I just haven't found it yet) where the color of the rose you wear indicates your level within the organization. I'd be all for adding it as a 'sect' under Ruvaira. :) It does fit quite nicely.

Snot Snottington

First Post
Forums seem to have the hiccups tonight. Should I rework this as a proposal for an in character organization as we have described? Also, given this idea, could I at least fluff it in character if it comes up?

Snot Snottington

First Post
Will work on that the next couple of days. Got a big day on Wednesday (signing mortgage refi). Tomorrow is a road trip of about 2 hours to deliver a file cabinet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases