[MINOR SPOILERS] errata question for item found in adventure two

I'm trying to figure out the proper bonus for von recklinghausen's rapier

On page 143 of the compilation, it's referred to as a +2 malice-wrought rapier; In the description of von Recklinghausen on p 185, it's listed as +1; and in the item card on p 542, it's priced at a +2 bonus, but whether that is because it *is* a +2 weapon, or because it is +1 w/the added malice power isn't entirely clear.

Anyone else noticed this discrepancy and resolved one way or the other? I'm inclined to trust the stat block for von Recklinghausen, but thought I'd see what others thought first...

Last edited:

mbaum

First Post
I would say the description on page 143 is a typo. A malice weapon is a +2 bonus and the rapier I used was a +1 malice wrought rapier with a total bonus of +3 and worth 18320 gp. Wolfgang von Recklinghausen survived in my game but even if he didn’t it’s a little pricey for 3rd level pc’s to requisition. I personally don’t get too hung up on stat blocks or wealth.

Wow -- so you're saying it's actually a +3 weapon? That seems pretty powerful for 3rd level PCs. Although the truth is, having it be +3 would actually be useful in my campaign right now, so I may go with that regardless. Anyone else handle this similarly?

hirou

Explorer
In the original adventure it's only referred to as +2, just checked. Perhaps, +1 is some left-over from PF version. +3 definitely sounds OP for both the party and Recklinghausen himself.

EDIT: also, von_recklinghausen seems to use PF item value, while we're talking about 4e... right?

efreund

Explorer
(Speaking as PF GM)

Regardless of how the underlying math *should* work, I would only charge the PCs as if it was halfway between a +1 and +2 weapon. (i.e. about 5000gp)

Reasons being threefold:
1) Cool stuff that PCs find in-game have more cinematic value than tailor-ordered items from Ultimate Equipment, and we should incentivize that mechanically.
2) There's not that many Aberrations, Undead, and Outsiders in the campaign. (The very next adventure and its Gidim notwithstanding, but there's already a trick to "go invisible" with respect to them.) So it won't be overused. Also, you can't choose when to use it (you have to wait for a crit), which limits abuse.
3) Since it doesn't radiate magic, you have an in-game explanation for why the RHC Quartermaster might mis-price it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases