[May 2016] What are you reading?

Elodan

Adventurer
Recently finished.
The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI files book 2), by Lisa Shearin - I feel like the author tries a little too hard to have the narrator be clever / quippy, but I think it's a decent urban fantasy series with some new spins on classic monsters.

Wonder Woman: War - New 52 WW is my first foray into the character. Good read, the whole Olympians story line has been fun and interesting.

Star Wars: Kanan - The Last Padawan Vol 1 - Really liking what Marvel has been doing with their Star Wars titles and this in no exception.

Currently reading
Witches be Crazy. by Logan Hunder - Picked it up as the Kindle version was (may still be) $2.99. Barely into it but it's seems pretty good. Reading like a humorous take on fantasy tale (somewhat similar to Pratchett).

Sinestro: Sacrifice - Good take on seeing things from the character's perspective.

I recently picked up a bunch of Star Wars and DC graphic novels that I'm looking forward to reading. I also have a bunch of classic Star Trek novels but they've been so uneven so far, it's been tough to be motivated to read the next ones.

delericho

Legend
Beat me to it!

I've just finished "Rogues", the anthology edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois. As with all anthologies the quality was uneven, but a lot of the stories were very, very good.

I'm now reading "Hellknight", the latest in the Pathfinder Tales line. Next up will be "Possession" by A.S. Byatt, and then probably "House of Silk". Though I never did get to "Curse of Strahd", so I'll be trying to fit that in this month, too.

Jhaelen

First Post
I finally finished 'Ash: A Secret History' by Mary Gentle last weekend. It's been a while since I read such a long novel (well, originally it was published in four separate books), and only reading for up to an hour per day meant this one took well over a month to finish , but I'm really pleased how it turned out. I was a bit put-off in the beginning and by several extra-gory scenes in the middle, but over all, it was really excellent. It definitely showed that the author is a historian with some expert knowledge about (medieval) warfare. And the 'meta-story' about parallel universes told in-between the chapters by email correspondence really grew on me. If someone called this a master piece, it wouldn't be far off.

I've now actually run out of books to read, so I'm going to have to make a few purchases in the next days.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Killing Floor by Lee Child (Jack Reacher book 1) - it is a detective pulp crime novel, it is alright for a change of pace from my normal fantasy books

Richards

Legend
I just finished a Robert J. Sawyer standalone novel, Mindscan, about a legal battle in the future to determine if an artificial humanoid body containing the download of a person's mind and memories is legally human (and legally the same person as the original, flesh-base version). I always enjoy his novels, but this one wasn't as good as most of his others - partly, I think, because this was written in 2005 and he was particularly bad at his guesses as to how 2016 would look like this time around. I probably would have enjoyed it more had I read it in 2005, when his future would still have been a potentially viable option instead of ridiculously inaccurate.

However, I'm not giving up on him - I'm now starting up a trilogy of his involving the awakening of an artificial mind on the Internet. It's the "WWW" series: Wake, Watch, and Wonder. That ought to keep me busy for awhile!

Johnathan

However, I'm not giving up on him - I'm now starting up a trilogy of his involving the awakening of an artificial mind on the Internet. It's the "WWW" series: Wake, Watch, and Wonder. That ought to keep me busy for awhile!

Johnathan

That's been on my list for awhile now, but i am currently reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. it's on the list of books and series i read every year and it's what i'm reading before i go and pick up The Trials of Apollo Book One The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases