$17,000 bucks for a two-hour plane ride?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Travel time from core to rim of any continent on Earth is only a few hours. We still have plenty of lawless areas.

We don't have a worldwide military dictatorship running things, unlike the Star Wars galaxy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why would ships of the line not have the best hyperdrives?

They have perfectly good hyperdrives. However, they are also humongous.

Hmm. I'm not sure what is cannon and what isn't anymore. At least not about the past. I thought the Empire and old Republic existed at the same time thousands of years in the past.

My understanding is that none of the stuff about thousands of years ago is canon now. That's all EU. We have one Republic, on Empire, as depicted in the movies.

In any case, at the time of Episodes 1-3, there are factions with enough ships to destroy worlds that weren't the old Republic. If travel were that easy, even at a week to travel, what I suggested would still be easy to accomplish. Travel a week and hit a planet with overwhelming force. Leave and travel back. You'd be home before the enemy could mobilize and get to your undefended planets. Rinse and repeat for both sides.

For all their advances in technology over our world, it seems that the arms/defenses race has left the Star Wars universe in a place where military tactics don't differ all that much from our own. They still need to put boots on the ground, for the most part. And, the number of boots required to pacify a planet is very, very large. Sides need to resort to rapidly constructed drones or cone armies to be able to manage a major war...

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
One thought on the 'Lawless' argument I think is that we are talking about a whole Galaxy, or at least a significant portion of one. This Galaxy is now under an Empire that has had an open rebellion for at least a few years. They may simply not have the ships and troops to be able to be everywhere at once, in the strength they require.

A New Hope shows that there is a heightened Trooper presence but it also illustrates that there is a force that is stationed there as a type of garrison and policing unit.

Sending a sizable enough force there to quell whatever criminal activity the Empire deems a threat could then require removing forces from another potentially volatile area. It becomes a balancing act. Do we allow some criminals to roam free that at most are just going to seek their own gain and not harm the Empire as a whole, or do we leave *insert system not friendly toward their Imperial masters here* undermanned to stop these Hutts, potentially opening up the previous system for rebellion.

The Empire does not want to play Galactic wack-a-mole, so instead lets the smaller less dangerous fish go free. It is only when the droids are sought after that the stronger presence is deemed necessary.

That is... just a thought in the event that HS travel at large is only hours for many ships.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Travel time from core to rim of any continent on Earth is only a few hours. We still have plenty of lawless areas.

A more applicable analogy would be to just use America or any other 1st world nation. You have some who break laws, but there are no areas of lawlessness because we have too many armed forces able to respond to anywhere very quickly.

Also, I don't know what the heck you travel in, but even an airplane takes 5 hours to go from one end of America to the other, let alone from the equator to the pole. A trip from core to rim is more than a few hours.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
They have perfectly good hyperdrives. However, they are also humongous.

My understanding is that none of the stuff about thousands of years ago is canon now. That's all EU. We have one Republic, on Empire, as depicted in the movies.

For all their advances in technology over our world, it seems that the arms/defenses race has left the Star Wars universe in a place where military tactics don't differ all that much from our own. They still need to put boots on the ground, for the most part. And, the number of boots required to pacify a planet is very, very large. Sides need to resort to rapidly constructed drones or cone armies to be able to manage a major war...

I don't really think the Empire did need to put boots on the ground. They proved that they have the guts to just blow up a world. After the second or third lawless world they melted with an imperial fleet or three, nobody else would mouth off.

If travel time was only a few hours from core to rim, there would be no lawless areas.

We can fly to Somalia in less than a day. Why are there still pirates there?

We can get into Mexico in a couple hours. Why are the cartels still causing trouble?

We've got military bases within spitting distance of Syria. ISIS is kinda on the downswing I hear, but it's not like we just swoop in with a few aircraft carriers and suddenly the whole place is under our control.

Why would the Empire bother spending resources to secure Tattooine. It's only a problem when it becomes a problem. Send some troops in to find Obi-Wan Bin Laden, but we're not going to be able to 'control' the place without wasting money. And who wants to be around those weird aliens anyway?

delericho

Legend
I don't really think the Empire did need to put boots on the ground. They proved that they have the guts to just blow up a world. After the second or third lawless world they melted with an imperial fleet or three, nobody else would mouth off.

That was Tarkin's theory, at least. Leia disagreed: "the more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We can fly to Somalia in less than a day. Why are there still pirates there?

We can get into Mexico in a couple hours. Why are the cartels still causing trouble?

Because we aren't the Empire. If we were the Empire, we would just nuke Somalia and the cartels and be done with it.

Why would the Empire bother spending resources to secure Tattooine. It's only a problem when it becomes a problem. Send some troops in to find Obi-Wan Bin Laden, but we're not going to be able to 'control' the place without wasting money. And who wants to be around those weird aliens anyway?

The wouldn't bother to secure Tattooine. They'd destroy it as an example and let it be known to the other planets to fall in line or be destroyed.

Remove ads