Your favourite Trek?

Hussar

Legend
Funnily enough, I binge watched STNG and a good chunk of DS9 recently. And I realised something. STNG is boring. The first three or four seasons are just snooze fests of people sitting in lounge chairs talking. It's brutally boring. I remember watchign these episodes religiously as a kid, but, good grief, without the nostalgia glasses? They really, really don't hold up.

DS9 OTOH, holds up very well. The themes are very relevant today - the raprochement between the Cardassians and the Bajorans with the Federation playing UN Peacekeeper in the middle just rings so true in today's political landscape. Never minding how often they dealt with the fact that both sides of the conflict had lots of blood on their hands and how do you come to some sort of lasting peace between these factions that really just want to keep hitting each other? Fantastic stuff. Even the kids stuff with Nog and Jake rings so true - different cultures trying to come together to find common ground.

Yeah, I'm going to go on record as saying DS9 is very much my favourite Trek.

The new movies? Well, I know why they're going in that direction - money. The Trek movies have never actually made a whole lot of money and if you're going to go the route of big tent pole movies, well, you gotta go where the money is. And that means action scenes and light comedy without a great deal of serious thought provoking stuff. Nature of the beast. Hopefully the new TV series picks the mantle up well.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My ideal next Trek series would be something dark, like the new BSG dark, set during the Eugenics wars on Earth. They could even cap off the final episode of the series with Khan and his people going into space, to be later found by Kirk.
Interesting idea (minus the dark; Trek is optimistic in its inherent nature). Have you read "To Reign in Hell"? It traces Khan's youth and adulthood on Earth. It might even serve as a framework where a TV series could fill in the turn-the-chapter time gaps.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Overall, I liked the original series the best. (I was too young to watch it in real time but I saw reruns years later on weekends.)
It would not bother me, though, to have the V'ger and Khan starships photoshopped into the TV series, since they looked better than the clunky 1960s ship models.*
And the Khan uniforms look more dignified than a pretty T-shirt.

* Star Wars' Millenium Falcon in flight has the same problem compared to Return of the Jedi's; I deem this an effect of progressing technology.

Rottle

First Post
TOS, city on the edge of forever is in my option the single best sci tv show ever. Now not all episodes where near as good and some were terrible but I really felt they did things right.

Next Gen was good, but as someone else has mentioned it has not aged near as well. Still sitting with my dad watching the episodes as they aired makes it special to me.

DS9 was ok but never really felt right

Voyager never made sense to me. The opening join with the maquis to 7 of 9 in her silver skin tight outfit, nothing ever seemed to make sense.

Enterprise....was a bad holodeck program and nothing more....

Ryujin

Legend
Voyager never made sense to me. The opening join with the maquis to 7 of 9 in her silver skin tight outfit, nothing ever seemed to make sense.

"We're thousands of light years from home, don't have any local support, and are trapped in a huge interstellar predator. Captain, what should we do?"

"RAMMING SPEED, Mr. Paris!"

Interesting idea (minus the dark; Trek is optimistic in its inherent nature). Have you read "To Reign in Hell"? It traces Khan's youth and adulthood on Earth. It might even serve as a framework where a TV series could fill in the turn-the-chapter time gaps.

I'm guessing you're referring to the trilogy by Greg Cox which is titled "The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh" or "The Eugenic Wars" in which book three is the one that's called "To Reign in Hell"

MechaPilot

Explorer

I have not read that. Regrettably, scholastic materials (as enlightening and sometimes interesting as they are) are monopolizing my reading time, and have been for the past several years.

Chimpy

First Post
I get the feeling that TOS is thought well off mainly because people have fond memories of it back in the 60s or 70s. Nostalgia.

I wonder if a group of people who had never seen any Star Trek before, were shown episodes from all 5 TV series, if they would feel the same way, and how they would rate each iteration?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I get the feeling that TOS is thought well off mainly because people have fond memories of it back in the 60s or 70s. Nostalgia.

That's a rather sweeping way to dismiss the stated preference of a bunch of people in this thread.

Remove ads