What's up with GenCon?

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Is there any reason why you cant do both?

For me, it's mainly that I don't have the time to both play and run modules for two different Organized Play programs, and I'm much more attracted to 5e D&D than I am to Pathfinder, so I do Adventurers League. I could possibly play in both, if I felt the desire to spend hundreds of dollars to ramp up on my Pathfinder rule book purchases (I have the core books, the Kingmaker adventure path, and a couple of other books given out as swag at GenCon), but if I'm playing, I generally want to run games, too.

--
Pauper

felwred

First Post
Is there any reason why you cant do both? If PFS was still being run locally Id still be playing it. I see far too many people type 'I stopped playing X to play Y' or a variation on that. Im a gamer first and foremost, Im not a D&D gamer or a Pathfinder gamer or a Shadowrun gamer or a Arcanis Gamer or a Dragonstar Gamer. Im a Gamer.

Like the demographic of most tabletop gamers these days, I have a limit on time I can spend and need to decide where to invest it. Most gamers are getting older (we aren't doing a great job drawing kids to the games as we used to) - between work, family, etc. - most gamers I know can only spend 1 day per week or 1 day every other week gaming. It does become a choice. If I want to be in a game with a storyarc attached to it, I can only do 1 or 2 like that per year - it means choosing which system I'd prefer. Gencon is a luxury. To take that week off, I have to bust my ass for weeks before and after to make that time available (and every year, I've spent at least half a day working while at the con). The reality is I represent the majority of gamers today (average age 40+ with families). We have hard limits on what we can do with our time.

Fred

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I am also limited by time. While Im not married and dont have kids, Ive never been what Id call an everyday gamer. I tend to get tired of it if I do it too much, although my love of gaming never goes away. I was simply referring taking in 2-3 slots at a con with a rarely used PFS character.

Perhaps its just more of an international gamer thing than a mainland US gamer thing.

rczarnec

Explorer
I was looking over some of the events for GenCon and I noticed an issue. The short description of HILL1-1 says that it is for characters levels 1-4. The long description states that it is for characters levels 5-10. I assume that it is a tier 2 because the Baldman site says 5-10, but I would like to make sure.

Remove ads