AMA: Richard Baker, author of lots of stuff!

Rich Baker

First Post
Hi, there! I'm game designer and author Richard Baker. Starting Wednesday on May 4th, I'll tackle an Ask-Me-Anything here on EN World! I’ll answer your questions for 3 days, wrapping up at noon PST on Friday, May 6th.

You may know me from work such as:

• Birthright Campaign Setting (2e)
  • Alternity Science Fiction Roleplaying Game
  • 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons
  • 3rd edition Forgotten Realms (I was the creative director)
  • Dark Sun Campaign Setting (4e)
  • Gamma World Roleplaying Game (4e)
  • Lost Mines of Phandelver (5e)
  • Princes of the Apocalypse (5e)
  • Primeval Thule Campaign Setting (lots of editions)
  • Conquest of Nerath and Axis & Allies Miniatures
  • A dozen Forgotten Realms novels, including the LAST MYTHAL and BLADES OF THE MOONSEA trilogies

Oh, and I am currently Kickstarting my brand-new boardgame Ultimate Scheme. Check it out at: http://kck.st/1pBFzda

Stop on by and ask me anything!

Richard Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Hi Rich

I will be the first to say what a great honor it is for you to be here.

Question: GW 4E--did they make you put in that collectible card component, or did you see that as intrinsic to the game?

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
Good Morning. I loved Alternity, but thought it may have been a bit ahead of its time. Can you talk a little about how the idea came about and if there are any plans for Alternity moving forward?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Looking forward to Ultimate Scheme. Can we expect some D&D or Gamma World Easter eggs in the game? Maybe it would break the flavor of the game, but there are certainly some fantasy ultimate-scheme tropes one could have a lot of fun with.

D&Dsince76

First Post
Good Morning,

I really love Primeval Thule (5e)... are you guys planning any follow-up product to this campaign setting?
Thanks,
Bill W.

mykesfree

Explorer
Why in the Forgotten Realms are there no Human Empire builders (Like a Barbarossa or a Napoléon Bonaparte) as part of cannon? I understand that it makes the fantasy setting pretty clear cut Good vs Evil, when Orcs, Undead, and Shades try to do it

Love Birthright, still my fav setting even though no support since years.

Question 1: Is Game of Thrones inspired by Birthright?
Anduiras symbol is Golden Lion on a Red Field (Lannister)
Iron Throne (Iron Throne)
Ed Stark (Ned Stark!)

Question 2: How would you handle Bloodlines, Blood Abilities etc in 5e, without using feats?

Beyond the edges of the Conquest of Nerath map - did you ever sketch out continental shapes for the rest of the planet?
latest

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases