Creating Spells in WOIN

JohnLynch

Explorer
Here's an example spell if anyone can spot anything wrong with it. The only thing I don't know how to calculate how many ranks the magic skill should have. Does anyone know how to work that out?

Acid Arrow
Create acid

Cost 7 MP; skills evocation 0

Casting time two actions

Duration instantaneous; range 50'; target one creature

On a successful MAG vs DEFENSE check the creature takes 2d6 acid damage. On each subsequent turn the creature takes 1 additional point of damage for 4 rounds unless they wash it off with about one gallon of water or wipe acid off itself with two actions, though this usually ruins the scraping implement.

Costs 3 MP range, 4 MP damage.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Looks you nailed it! Almost exactly correct, but that's Evoke Acid, not Create Acid (you used evocation, not creation).

The magic skill (evocation) is whatever's needed to include the enhancement you used (damage). In this case, 4 MP of damage, so it needs evocation 4.

How easy/hard did you find it? I assume you worked off the WRRD?

JohnLynch

Explorer
Thanks Morrus. Hard part was trying to work out how the spell would work. In D&D this spell has a range of 400+ ft, is that really necessary? How much damage should it do given damage tends to be much less in standard WOIN?

Then I had to work out the mechanics: Could it do multiple arrows? (Ultimately I decided it couldn't unless I did an area effect and had it be selective. But that would have allowed 1 arrow per target with no limit on the number of arrows so long as each creature was within the radius). I also wasn't sure if the ongoing acid was 1 damage or 2d6 (2d6 seemed way too good so I assumed it was 1 damage) or how long it lasted (7 rounds or 4 rounds?)

Other than that it was pretty easy. And yes I used the WRRD.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases