D&D 3E/3.5 3.5e : Energy Resistance, Vulnerability and such

Shin Okada

Explorer
Assuming a white dragon (Vulnerable to Fire) is wearing a Major Ring of Fire Resistance (Fire Resistance 20) and has Fire Shield (Chill Shield : half damage from fire-based attacks) on him.

Then he is hit by an Orb of Fire which inflicts 50 Fire Damages. In which order those vulnerability, resistance & half-damage effects are applied? And how much hp will he actually lose?

Celebrim

Legend
I believe the resistance is applied last, in that it is triggered by 'on taking damage'. So the order would be:

1) "Do all the multiplications"
2) Begin to apply damage.
3) Reduce the damage by the resistance.
4) Apply the final damage.

In this case, it would be 50 x 2 x 1/2 = 50 - 20 = 30 damage.

Shin Okada

Explorer
I believe the resistance is applied last, in that it is triggered by 'on taking damage'. So the order would be:

1) "Do all the multiplications"
2) Begin to apply damage.
3) Reduce the damage by the resistance.
4) Apply the final damage.

In this case, it would be 50 x 2 x 1/2 = 50 - 20 = 30 damage.

Actually, 3.5e vulnerability is +50%. Should Multiplying rule be applied in this case? I mean, x0.5 +x1.5 =x1? Or should it be simply 0.5 x 1.5 =0.75?

Anyway, I am still looking for some rules or suggestions for the original question, too. More opinions are welcomed.

delericho

Legend
If it were a spell with a Reflex save, I'd have the dragon make that first - because if the save is made, the chill shield negates all damage.

If the save was failed (or, as in the case of orb of fire if there is no save) then I'd apply all the multipliers together. And, in this case, I'd treat the vulnerability (+50%) and the chill shield (half damage) as giving a net multiplier of x0.75.

And then I'd apply the ring of fire resistance last.

Thus giving a total of (0.75 x 50) - 20 = 37 - 20 = 17 damage. (Fractions round down, of course).

AtlMikeTodd

First Post
RAW
On page 223 of monster manual III it says:
“Vulnerability to Energy: Some creatures have vulner- ability to a certain kind of energy effect (typically either cold or fire). Such a creature takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.”

An example would be a fireball on a white dragon that causes 20 points of rolled damage.

The white dragon would take 10 additional points of damage regardless if she saves or not. 30 points of damage if she does not save and 20 points of damage if does save.

Once you determine how much damage will be applied then you would apply damage resistances from magical items etc.

glass

(he, him)
The white dragon would take 10 additional points of damage regardless if she saves or not. 30 points of damage if she does not save and 20 points of damage if does save.
No it doesn't. It takes an extra 10 damage if it fails the save. It takes an extra 5 points if it makes its save: The damage on a successful save is 10, and 10 extra damage on top of that would be 100% of that, not 50%.

_
glass.

AtlMikeTodd

First Post
No it doesn't. It takes an extra 10 damage if it fails the save. It takes an extra 5 points if it makes its save: The damage on a successful save is 10, and 10 extra damage on top of that would be 100% of that, not 50%.

_
glass.
Yeah! Run your game how you want. It’s all about having fun. The way I read The vulnerability definition is that you take 50% damage as normal additionally, regardless if you save or not.

Looks like a lot of people above play it different ways. I haven’t run into this yet, but we are adventuring to fight a white dragon right now. I was just trying to answer the OP‘s question and referenced the vulnerability definition I found in monster manual three.

Cheers!

Remove ads