[Ceramic DM] home version

Cedric

First Post
The Fall of an Empire...

With fluttering sounds of discontent the Candelabra flames guttered and flickered from the winds sweeping across the balcony, yet the candles burned on. Throwing their eerie glow across the skulls and bone which lined the room, they had burned for more years then could be remembered. Some would say that on days of dark holiday souls from years gone by could be seen dancing in the flame…or were they writhing?

Those flames burned today for another reason. Clan Cloud Bear would initiate a new High Master of the Order of Clouds. Young, at only 17, and honestly looking years younger then that, Rey Yu was the best anyone had seen in years. Defying odds, defying gravity and defying the will of the elders, he had none the less risen through the ranks by the laws of ascension; the same laws whose creators were lost in time.

Of the nine clans who held voice on the dark council, each was allowed a High Master. In times of need, disputes would be settled among the High Masters on the Steps of Heaven, a balcony-like edifice which looked over the Cathedral on one side and the endless clouds on the other with city beneath.

At the base of this tower was a collection of bones, a graveyard to High Masters past, those who had not triumphed their cause. Most recently High Master Deanru Seb “flew” from the Steps to join his place among those who’ve led, but have fallen. Though his cause was just to his Clan, the voice of his opposition was heard more loudly by the gods.

Such have the High Masters challenged one another, to the death, in matters of Clan enmity and disagreement for 3000 years, in this way avoiding war and mediating for peace to more efficiently wrap the continent in the iron grip of their rulership.

Despite his youth, Rey Yu became the High Master Candidate of Clan Cloud Bear in a stunning manner. His opponent, Jahn Seb, was accounted the most skilled among his age group. Having won tournament after tournament he was considered a master among students since he was a child. He would not survive his fight with Rey Yu, the unknown challenger risen from the lowest ranks by conquest. With a movement that seemed impossibly fast, Rey Yu struck. Jahn’s death will be remembered for years, especially coming so quickly upon the death of his father. Those who speak of fate and prophecy will note that both father and son were able to fly in their moment of death, one across the matt of the salle, one through the clouds of the city. That kick would be talked about for years to come.

Nine bells rang out as the suns began their dip toward the horizon to sink below the clouds. The glow of candles led up the stairs to the Cathedral. The ritual of anointment began.

Traveling from miles away the Priests of the Bear had brought their Totem, carried on the back of the sacrifice. In his blood would the throne be bathed and in the stench of his death would the candles flicker, all the while watched by the Bear Totem which he has carried so many miles for this service.

That evening in a city long steeped in power, a new power would arose. Born from the womb of his mother through the will of the Angels, Rey Yu had come.

The tides of time would bring change. Eons would pass and the stains of blood in the gutters would be bleached clean by the sun. The Candelabra of Bone had been long since destroyed, it’s candles wiped from the record of memory. The cathedral stood still as did the Steps of Heaven, but the council was long forgotten and the dark clans a fable told to children.

Of that time so long ago, only one name is remembered.

Rey Yu, he died a young man at the age of 30…and an empire died with him, cleansed of evil by the power of his convictions.

Cedric

Sniktch

First Post
Not you, Cedric - timing killed it for me. I ended up having a lot less time over the end of the week and weekend than I expected. I feel pretty bad, but looking at the other thread I see I'm not the only one with such troubles and that makes me feel a little better...

Clay, your pics have me boggled, just so you know. My weary mind has yet to find a way to fit them together. I still plan on doing so, but Mark sent me a few pages to read over on the weekend and I'm giving that top priority for now, so I have no ETA on when I'll be sitting down to write again :eek:

Remove ads