WOIN Fantasy questions for raw recruit

capmarvel

First Post
Just picked up WOIN Fantasy Careers and haven't' read it all yet (though to be honest...have I really read all of ANY game I've ever owned?).

I've been crunch-adverse for awhile, but by gosh this game is fun making a character at least - I admire the life path type games like Beyond the Wall, Traveller, etc and this one is very clever with the # of Grades representing your "level".

But have a couple of "I just skimmed the book, forgive me if I missed it" questions:

1) page #3 says "your age starts at zero". Page 39 says "Your age is determined by the total of your character’s years in each career". But, say you are in a beginners campaign and start at Grade 1 - you'd have one career and the say you roll low - I could start at like 8 years old (2d6+6) ....right?

2) any reason the optional Slower Advancement rule in the online Rules Reference document isn't in the book (I like the optional rule).

3) it takes awhile to make a character, and it's a blast, but wondering if in the other book there are guides to how to whip up a NPC on the fly? Or even not on the fly- can't imagine a GM nowadays spending hours and hours making a bunch of NPC's.

I'm sure I'll have more questions - but looks like I'll probably order all more at least some of the other books even today in fact. Thanks for any guidance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks for the kind words!

1) Sure. But you can always add years (you can't deduct them though).

2) No reason; but it's official and valid if you want to use it.

3) Yes. There's Building A Universe for sci-fi campaigns and there's Worldbuilding (out imminently, but basically the same book reskinned) for fantasy campaigns. Both include quick monster and NPC creation.

capmarvel

First Post
Thanks for the hyper quick reply.

If there is no reason not to have the optional rule in the book....why not put it in the book? :)

Anyway, is there a link to all the upcoming publications. Any 3rd party products in the works? And a link to any fan content? I was thinking of putting all the careers on a one-page chart for easy reference (and probably the skills too) and wondered if there was a place to share such "tools" with others.

Thanks again!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If there is no reason not to have the optional rule in the book....why not put it in the book? :)

Lack of a time machine? :)

Anyway, is there a link to all the upcoming publications.

Yup, here:

http://www.woinrpg.com/buy/

Any 3rd party products in the works? And a link to any fan content? I was thinking of putting all the careers on a one-page chart for easy reference (and probably the skills too) and wondered if there was a place to share such "tools" with others.

Thanks again!

I know of at least three third party books in the works, but since they haven't announced them yet, I don't feel I should pre-empt them. Also, Fantasy Grounds (the virtual tabletop) is working on adding WOIN.

There was tons of third party content on this forum, but we just lost it all in that database snafu this week. Hopefully folks will be kind enough to add it back again.

There's also EONS, the official magazine.

Re. skills, there's a skills PDF on the official site's resource page:

http://www.woinrpg.com/resources/
SaveSave
SaveSave

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, just future so far. I'll do a fantasy one at some point, unless somebody beats me to it.

capmarvel

First Post
As I said I was going to do a Career chart - maybe I'll do Skills at same time. Could you tell me what fonts you use (so I can make it look consistent with "offficial" stuff)? Maybe I'll even throw in that Slower Advancement rule as a bonus. :)

Actually, bought just the PDF from RPGNow - need to check if they'll upgrade me to the print+PDF bundle - which should make you feel honored since I rarely get print copies. And, need to get more of your books - my accountant hates your guts.

capmarvel

First Post
Meant to ask - I don't see a Google+ Community for this yet. Is there one? Should there be? G+ is where most my RPG pals hangout as we avoid FaceBook.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know of one, no. The official community is this one; I don't know of any unofficial ones (yet).

capmarvel

First Post
So, the N.E.W. The Science Fiction Roleplaying Game on RPGnow says it contains Future Careers, Future Equipment, Future Core, Space, and Building a Universe.

Any ETA on when the compiled O.L.D. book might be out? (For one thing N.E.W. PDF is only $10 which is way more economical than buying each PDF separately).

Thanks!

Remove ads