Ravenloft Al modles Jasper questions and rants. Spoilers

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok thanks everyone for answering the whip of warning question before the crash. I ran Al04-02 the Beast, and AL04-03 The executioner last Friday night (Sept 16th). The minor rant I got back from some players of the players were not being able to save the puppy.
My rant was the Executioner. What was the writer thinking. Not even a week into a new village and you have to knock over the Mayor's house? I could get anyone one to bite or want to check out that encounter, even the guy who had played the module before. The party followed the current villain to his house. As he tried to escape, the monk did a dash, move, and ki for step of wind to get in front of him. I allowed the party to take him down. As most of players were surprise the monk could move that fast. That just left the final encounter which I skipped most to being frustrated with module and as a strong party the combat may have lasted one extra round. I did give max xp for the module but only min gold. And since I using props, if the player keeps the prop (some which will be needed later), I deduct that too.
Dark gifts. I lost some notes Friday due some one dumping my binder to floor. Where are Dark gifts talked about?

kalani

First Post
You shouldn't be awarding max XP unless the characters actually earned max XP as a result of completing all encounters AND the party having the right number of characters to allow it. I have found myself, that having more than 5 players (and sometimes even having 5 players) will result in the characters having zero chance at earning max XP even if they complete each and every encounter.

Inconnunom

Explorer
You shouldn't be awarding max XP unless the characters actually earned max XP as a result of completing all encounters AND the party having the right number of characters to allow it. I have found myself, that having more than 5 players (and sometimes even having 5 players) will result in the characters having zero chance at earning max XP even if they complete each and every encounter.

As of Season 5 ALDMG you are allowed to adjust adventures beyond the guidelines given in the adventure. Granted you can't give more than the maximum. Sometimes adventures need adjustment because something slipped through during playtesting.

Participating in several DDAO adventures, Frequently the authors (not naming names) never tallied up xp, they just gave us what they felt we earned.

edit: of course I don't mean you get it for free, just that some of the adventures have had some issues.

RulesJD

First Post
Ok thanks everyone for answering the whip of warning question before the crash. I ran Al04-02 the Beast, and AL04-03 The executioner last Friday night (Sept 16th). The minor rant I got back from some players of the players were not being able to save the puppy.
My rant was the Executioner. What was the writer thinking. Not even a week into a new village and you have to knock over the Mayor's house? I could get anyone one to bite or want to check out that encounter, even the guy who had played the module before. The party followed the current villain to his house. As he tried to escape, the monk did a dash, move, and ki for step of wind to get in front of him. I allowed the party to take him down. As most of players were surprise the monk could move that fast. That just left the final encounter which I skipped most to being frustrated with module and as a strong party the combat may have lasted one extra round. I did give max xp for the module but only min gold. And since I using props, if the player keeps the prop (some which will be needed later), I deduct that too.
Dark gifts. I lost some notes Friday due some one dumping my binder to floor. Where are Dark gifts talked about?

Let me save you a LOT of frustration down the line.

Stop playing the Season 4 expeditions. Simply put, they are terrible. There's one, maaaaybe two that are worth it. The rest are so bad and disjointed your players will end up more frustrated than anything else.

Instead, run through a different season (I recommend Season 1 as it ties in to Season 5 pretty well). Ever since switching off from Season 4 my players have been much, much happier.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Looks like all my Season 4 module reviews were purged in the Great Database Hangover of 2016; while I'll agree that a number of Season 4 modules are disappointing, the season as a whole is salvageable. My own group seems to be enjoying Season 4, but then I'm making some significant tweaks to make the overarching story more visible:

- Include rumors and introduce significant NPCs to foreshadow future adventures during expository scenes in earlier adventures. (Best example: I introduced The Visitor from 04-07 at the meeting with Sybil in the Burgomaster's house.)
- Rather than portraying the villagers as helpless in the face of the monsters and trials they are faced with, show them doing their best to resist the evils that beset them, but, being commoners, not being quite strong enough to overcome the obstacles before them. This way, the PCs can see themselves as heroes helping the villagers rather than the caretakers of an invalid asylum.
- If you have the time and inclination, review some classic Ravenloft material to both get you in the mood and to educate you on things Ravenloft -- great resources that are available in the DMs Guild include Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani, and the 2nd edition box set handbook which covers the whole setting. The original I6 module is also good, but more applicable to the hard-cover Curse of Strahd adventure rather than the AL-published modules.

--
Pauper

jasper

Rotten DM
I already doing rumors. And I have I6. I will think of showing some of villagers as strong but outclassed commoners.
Edit to add. I have already committed to my local AL group to run the series for those who missed the first time around.

Last edited:

Scorpienne

First Post
Let me save you a LOT of frustration down the line. Stop playing the Season 4 expeditions. Simply put, they are terrible. There's one, maaaaybe two that are worth it. The rest are so bad and disjointed your players will end up more frustrated than anything else.

I must, regrettably, agree. A few are good. The rest can be made palatable with some significant story adjustments. You're better off playing prior seasons.

p

Anthraxus

Explorer
Stop playing the Season 4 expeditions. Simply put, they are terrible. There's one, maaaaybe two that are worth it. The rest are so bad and disjointed your players will end up more frustrated than anything else.

I'll disagree with this and say there are a few great mods, several ok ones, and a few that can be fixed with a little DM work. It can depend, too, on whether your Players/DMs like the Ravenloft setting.

RulesJD

First Post
I'll disagree with this and say there are a few great mods, several ok ones, and a few that can be fixed with a little DM work. It can depend, too, on whether your Players/DMs like the Ravenloft setting.

There are TWO Romeo and Juilet storylines that make ZERO sense in the contest of, really, any storyline. They both involve mysterious outsides that had precisely zero foreshadowing.

The last two modules are literally impossible not to be TPKs unless the DM goes completely against the creatures abilities.

There are monsters *cough*Yuan-ti*cough* that have absolutely no business being in a Barovian setting and are never seen from again.

Speaking of never seen from again, how about dem elves that somehow appear and disappear with no reference whatsoever?

How about the terrible editing? How about the absolutely useless magic items?

How about allowing players to sell MISSION CRITICAL items with, yet again, zero foreshadowing that they could be even moderately useful?

How about absolutely no consistent story arch, no continuity between adventures, no particular reason to give a crap about any of the NPCs, inclusion of NPCs that had repeatedly been killed in prior seasons or were so obscure that even DMs who both played and DMd the referenced prior season content had no idea?

How about there being so little indication of what players are supposed to learn from each adventure that requests for explanations between each module have been ignored?

How about the massive amount of "oh look at this obscure reference I can make to the AD&D version of Castle Ravenloft to somehow justify something that had no business being in this edition"?

etc, etc, etc.

Steve_MND

First Post
Let me save you a LOT of frustration down the line. Stop playing the Season 4 expeditions. Simply put, they are terrible. There's one, maaaaybe two that are worth it. The rest are so bad and disjointed your players will end up more frustrated than anything else.

While I wouldn't go that far, I have to agree to some extent. For my group, it is by far the most fractious season by a wide margin.

On the one hand, the whole season is just dripping with flavor and atmosphere. That's a good thing, and it's been the number one aspect that our group has liked. As to the quality of the mods, I've found those to be about on-par with most of the ones in previous seasons -- a few good, a few bad, most middling, and the majority fraught with varying degrees of just shoddy editing.

That said, however, the (admittedly experimental) approach of the Ravenloft season has brought with it a host of other, newer issues.

The first being the 'continuous storyline' aspect, wherein the modules are all telling a single, long story arc across the length of the season. While a fine idea in theory, that sort of aspect lends itself poorly to a compartmentalized release schedule like this. Many times my players were continuously surprised by amazing "sudden" appearances in the area -- such as the Hospice, or even the Giant Foreboding Ruined Manorhouse overlooking the village from the top of the cliffside -- because the elements are only mentioned in the modules that they appear in specifically. Even the population is getting bigger as time goes one, it seems. The first couple of mods seem to imply there's just a handful of villagers living there, but we're up to practically a thriving town, it feels like, near the end. These are all things that are easily understood to 'be there, but not important at the moment' if something like this were, say, a hardback adventure, with all the pertinent info at the end in some appendix. Unfortunately, with the shifting info being doled at per module on a need-to-know basis, it becomes very disjointing for players and characters alike.

The lack of 'portability' in this Season 4, however, is by far the least-liked aspect, by both myself and our players, and has been directly responsible for a rather dramatic reduction in the number of players we get at the gamestore anymore. By being 'locked' into the season's mods by virtue of playing them, we've had very few individuals who want to 'hop in' to a game, like we had in seasons past -- because they have no idea if they'd be able to make the adventure that allows them to escape. Recent revisions to the campaign rules allowing for other possible escape routes are a nice attempt to rectify that, but for several of our players, it's too little too late. Our numbers have dwindled by half over the course of Season 4 explicitly due to this fact, and we're hoping that with the arrival of Season 5, we'll be able to get some of those players back. Mind you, we're just a small gamestore running AL stuff when we can here, so we're often struggling to get a legal table some weekends anymore. We don't have the luxury of having so many players that we can often re-run mods a second time anymore (what with everyone's oddball schedules, etc.). In seasons past, we could often run a mod a second time with new players if we had them, but with the 'being locked' aspect of Season 4, people aren't even willing to try it, for fear of having their characters lost with no likelihood of the 'escape mods' showing up. Again, some other escape routes have been added, but not in time to rescue the interest of some of our players (and for those that tout the accessibility of online play to take care of any gaps, that's a poor option for many players, for a variety of reasons).

The greatest irony, I fear, is that all of these potential issues had even been brought up on the forums well before Season 4 had been announced, as several of us had been talking about the possibility of seeing WotC put out a 5th-edition Ravenlift revamp.

Regardless, while I feel Season 4 was a noble experiment, I would not, personally, call it a successful one by any means. Going forward, I hope to see some aspects -- such as non-portability -- buried in an unmarked grave somewhere, and at the same time hope to see some of the more successful aspect being delivered in a more player-friendly method in Seasons to come.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases