Recovering lost threads

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I appreciate it's hardly a high priority, but once you've got everything cleaned up is there any prospect of the threads moving back to their original forums?

Actually moving them is easy. Finding them not so much! How many threads are we talking?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The General Monster Talk forum (other than the sticky threads) has 18 pages of threads with I think 100 threads per page. However, very few of these have been posted in during the last year or even few years. Based on the google cache, there are about 14 threads that have posts since May (Cleon may know of one or two more). The thread titles and thread numbers of these are as follows:

Corrections to Monsters in the CC, thread 331722
Converting monsters from Dragon magazine, thread 290367
Unconverted Ravenloft creatures, thread 161776
Converting Planescape monsters, thread 248731
Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings, thread 296304
Converting Oriental Adventures creatures, thread 268435
Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters, thread 299943
Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk, thread 299942
Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase, thread 335543
Converting First Edition Monsters, thread 294035
Converting Epic Level Creatures, thread 298543

Cleon

Legend
Actually moving them is easy. Finding them not so much! How many threads are we talking?

I'd like to discuss it with Freyar but I guess that to start out we only need Creatures Awaiting Upload & Current Conversions, Corrections to Monsters in the CC and the threads the "broken" conversions are in:

Converting Greyhawk monsters
Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited
Converting True Dragons
Converting monsters from Dragon magazine
Converting Planescape monsters
Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings
Converting Oriental Adventures creatures
Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters
Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk
Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase
Converting Epic Level Creatures
Converting First Edition Monsters

It'd be nice to move all the other main CC conversion threads over to the General Monster forum. Offhand I could find:

Converting Spelljammer creatures
Monster ENCyclopedia Index
Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line
Mayfair Games Role Aids Monster Index
Converting Psionic Creatures
Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums
Converting Al-Qadim creatures
Converting Forgotten Realms monsters
Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin
Paging Echohawk...
Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes
10 more creatures added to the CC
Converting prehistoric creatures
Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine
Special Conversion Thread: Microscopic Monsters
Send In The Clowns… (or, Converting the Oddballs)
Converting "generic setting" Second Edition monsters
Special Conversion Thread: Plants
Converting Monsters from Dungeon Magazine

There are others, but we haven't used any of them since 2012 so moving them back doesn't seem that urgent.

Anyhow I have to sign out now. I have things to do.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The General Monster Talk forum (other than the sticky threads) has 18 pages of threads with I think 100 threads per page. However, very few of these have been posted in during the last year or even few years. Based on the google cache, there are about 14 threads that have posts since May (Cleon may know of one or two more). The thread titles and thread numbers of these are as follows:

Corrections to Monsters in the CC, thread 331722
Converting monsters from Dragon magazine, thread 290367
Unconverted Ravenloft creatures, thread 161776
Converting Planescape monsters, thread 248731
Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings, thread 296304
Converting Oriental Adventures creatures, thread 268435
Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters, thread 299943
Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk, thread 299942
Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase, thread 335543
Converting First Edition Monsters, thread 294035
Converting Epic Level Creatures, thread 298543

Those 14 we can find easily enough then. 1800 threads, searched for individually, will take.... longer.

I'll dig those 14 up and move them in the morning. I'm off to bed now! It's been a loooooong day! :)

Cleon

Legend
The General Monster Talk forum (other than the sticky threads) has 18 pages of threads with I think 100 threads per page. However, very few of these have been posted in during the last year or even few years. Based on the google cache, there are about 14 threads that have posts since May (Cleon may know of one or two more).

Oh hi freyar!

We need to talk! :cool:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've been able to find key information (starting notes, character sheets) for one of the threads, it seems that a resurrection may be possible. Thanks for the tip!!

Cleon

Legend
Seems like you were a bit more patient searching through the google cache than I was...

Well "patient" sounds better than "bordering on obsessive".:p

I checked through the the caches for page 1 and 2 of the General Monster Talk homebrew. They didn't seem to have page 3 cached, and the page 2 cache was significantly older than the page 1 one so there was some overlap in the threads.

Cleon

Legend
OK, I've moved this first batch.

Thank you very much Morrus, I've just noticed that.

We seem to have a lot more locked threads stuck between the stickied threads at the top of the forum and the working threads you've moved over. Could you unlock unsticky them so they're out of the way?

I'm also thinking it would also be nice to sticky the Creatures Awaiting Upload & Current Conversions thread and the Corrections to Monsters in the CC thread to the top of the page so they never disappear out of sight like they have done on rare occasions in the past.

EDIT: Dang it, what was I thinking. The locked threads are fine staying locked, it's the fact they're stuck between the top-stuck threads and the "working" threads that is the problem.

That said, it would be nice if Freyar and I could actually edit or post in some of the locked threads such as Creature Catalog new 3.5 conversions. /EDIT

Last edited:

Remove ads