[September 2016] What are you reading?

I just finished up Kameron Hurley’s God’s War. It was quite enjoyable, with some great world- and culture- building. It reminded me a bit of Dune meets Mad Max: Fury Road meets Naked Lunch. Guns, holy wars, swords, insectomancers, shapeshifters, insect-hybrid technology, and more.

Now it’s onto Max Gladstone’s Last First Snow. Big fan of his Craft Sequence.

delericho

Legend
I'm just wrapping up "The Maelstrom's Eye", the third book in the Spelljammer series. I'm also reading an exciting book on software architecture.

Next up will be "Storm King's Thunder", assuming Amazon do indeed deliver tomorrow as they have promised...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've got far too many books started.

Rereading Scott Lynch's three Gentleman Bastard books. Half way through the third, The Republic of Thieves. Strongly recommend the first (Lies of Locke Lamora) as one of my all-time favorites. The second and third are strong books, but the first is so fantastic they seem less.

A few pages into We Have Always Lived in the Castle, recommended but outside my normal genres. Different feel then I'm used to. Not far enough in to have a real opinion yet.

Picked up Death by Cliche on kindle, a humorous novel around gaming. It's on my phone for when I'm caught waiting sans book.

Part way through Randell Munroe's What If? Absurd questions answered scientifically by the author of XKCD. Each is a few pages, so I'm reading a whole question whenever the mood strikes me. Some fo these are free on his website. Also note has a very cool dust jacket, printed on the inside.

Have some another recommendation out of my normal zone but waiting until I finish some of my current before cracking it open, so that might be for October post. :)

Blue

To tangent - what have you finished recently you'd recommend? Trying to expand both my fiction and non-fiction circles, so it don't think about target audience, just if it wowed YOU.

The Gentlemen Bastards series is absolutely wonderful. Cannot wait for the Thorn of Emberlain (except, well, I have to...)

Rereading Scott Lynch's three Gentleman Bastard books. Half way through the third, The Republic of Thieves. Strongly recommend the first (Lies of Locke Lamora) as one of my all-time favorites. The second and third are strong books, but the first is so fantastic they seem less.

Jhaelen

First Post
I finally gave in and bought about two dozen new (e)books. Apart from a few new novels by some of my favorite authors, I bought the 2015/2016 Hugo & Nebula award winners, and plenty of Arthur C. Clarke award winners I didn't already have.

I started with Ann Leckie's "Ancillary Mercy", the final installment of her (so far) great trilogy.

Blue

I started with Ann Leckie's "Ancillary Mercy", the final installment of her (so far) great trilogy.

Amazon has been recommending that to me rather insistently. Amusingly that particular one, not the first two. Hmm, sound like worth checking out.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Amazon has been recommending that to me rather insistently. Amusingly that particular one, not the first two. Hmm, sound like worth checking out.
Ancillary Justice is definately worth the read. Leckie worked on it for years. The sequels were written faster and need more polishing.

Remove ads