[September 2016] What are you reading?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
To tangent - what have you finished recently you'd recommend? Trying to expand both my fiction and non-fiction circles, so it don't think about target audience, just if it wowed YOU.
- Do you like practical economics? "Making It In America" by John Bassett
- Hibernate for the holidays: Winston Churchill's "World Crisis" (what he did during World War One; he had a lot of explaining to do) and/or "The Second World War" (when he came out of it as the national hero). Both books are 5 volumes long and about 500 pages thick per volume.
- Larry Niven's 'XYZer of Worlds', currently a pentalogy. Ties together some of his Known Space dangling threads.

Finished Gladstone's Last First Snow. Now I'm finally getting to Samuel R. Delaney's work. Starting with Neveryóna. While Dhalgren is his more famous work, I didn't want to commit to the larger work yet.

Richards

Legend
I finished up The Language of Bees and am now reading the next in the series, The God of the Hive...which I'm glad I had on hand, since the previous book ended with a "to be continued." I'm glad I'm reading them years after they were published, because I'd have been royally ticked otherwise.

Anyway, these are stories of Sherlock Holmes after his retirement and subsequent marriage to a much younger American woman.

Johnathan

Last edited:

RadarMonk

Explorer
I am re-reading Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance trilogy. (Dragons of autumn twilight, Dragons of Winter night, and Dragons of Spring dawning). They are still really great books.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Working through the Chronicles of Prydain series. I feel like the only fantasy fan that's never read them.

Jhaelen

First Post
Working through the Chronicles of Prydain series. I feel like the only fantasy fan that's never read them.
The Chronicles of what?!
I guess, there's at least two of us...

Quite surprisingly, I already finished 'Ancillary Mercy' today (apparently the last 10% of the book are an ad/excerpt for a different novel). It really felt a bit rushed and some things fell too conveniently into place in the end. Not as satisfying a conclusion as I'd have liked it to be. The author even seemed apologetic about it; to quote:
No real endings, no final perfect hapiness, no irredeemable despair.
Well, perhaps the author will revisit her universe to continue the story.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The Chronicles of what?!
I guess, there's at least two of us...

Young adult fantasy series written in the early-mid 1960s, became the source material for Disney's "The Black Cauldron", loosely speaking. By Lloyd Alexander.

5121iEYPkjL.jpg

Remove ads