5E Enhancing "Storm King's Thunder"
Notice: This is a Wiki Thread. You are allowed to edit it. (?)
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 42 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 411
  1. #1
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    714
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

    Block Daern


    Friend+

    Enhancing "Storm King's Thunder"

    I think this thread was a victim of the purge.
    In any case I still want to talk about the module and improve it as I'm going to run it after Curse of Strahd I think. I really dig it, but you gotta make it your own. Let's do it!
    SKT hasn't been getting much love so far. I think people must be pretty full up with adventures at the moment.
    Anyways, the first place to go for a guide to improving the module is of course http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/...orm-kings.html
    That blog is amazing.
    I am also blogging about by sessions here: http://neradia.blogspot.com/
    I agree that putting some thought into a lot of foreshadowing is key to really making the module pop.
    Have giants say "The King is Dead!" a lot. Bring in Felgolos early, so players care about him later. Make less different dragons in general (maybe make the silver one in chapter one the same as the captured one later on). Bring in Old Snarl and the Dragon Cult's ship early on, have a seeming innocuous encounter with a fishy viking from the "Purple Rocks" etc.
    I'm going to supply my players with a poster map. The 3rd edition one I think. So they can add to it.
    You will want to get clear on your travel times. I did some internet research.
    To Waterdeep: (time at 20/day by foot or 48/day sailing)
    Anauroch (via the Black Road) 660 miles, 33 days
    Athkatla 950 miles, 47 days
    Baldur's Gate 550 miles, 27 days
    Caer Calidyrr, Moonshae Isles 750 miles (travel by water only), 15 days
    Candlekeep 720 miles, 36 days
    Daggerford 120 miles, 6 days
    Evereska 750 miles (via the path past Llorkh, between the Greycloak Hills and Forgotten Forest), 33 days
    Everlund 450 miles, 22 days
    Iriaebor 870 miles, 43 days
    Longsaddle 300 miles, 15 days
    Loudwater 390 miles, 18 days
    Luskan 440 miles, 22 days
    Mirabar 650 miles, 32 days
    Neverwinter 300 miles, 15 days
    Red Larch 100 miles, 5 days
    Scornubel 550 miles, 27 days
    Secomber 260 miles, 23 days
    Silverymoon 500 miles, 25 days
    Westgate 1,370 miles, 69 days
    Yartar 210 miles, 11 days
    Last edited by Daern; Thursday, 26th October, 2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: wikify
    XP CAFRedblade gave XP for this post

  2. #2
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Waterdeep
    Posts
    226
    Reviews
    Read 8 Reviews

    Block Fildrigar


    Friend+
    I hope this thread can be rebuilt. It contained some excellent ideas I wanted to use.

  3. #3
    I, like many others, didn't particularly like the rapid advance from level 1 to level 5. My solution was to replace the dripping caves with a much longer and robust adventure that would give the PCs a much meatier experience that feels like a more traditional pace of level advancement. Originally I was going to replace them with Caves of Chaos, but instead I'm going with Horror on the Hill. Both are easily drag and dropped into SKT, and all I really have to do is place the SKT NPCs into the modules. Easy peasy.

  4. #4
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    714
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

    Block Daern


    Friend+
    I agree about the super fast leveling. It was weird when I played it at a con. I'm going the opposite direction and starting characters at a much higher level, continuing my campaign.
    Horror on the Hill? I think I had that as part of the "In Search of Adventure" compilation. If I remember the Halls of the Hobgoblin King lie beneath?

  5. #5
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,538
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block robus


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Daern View Post
    To Waterdeep: (time at 20/day by foot or 48/day sailing)
    Anauroch (via the Black Road) 660 miles, 33 days
    Athkatla 950 miles, 47 days
    Baldur's Gate 550 miles, 27 days
    Caer Calidyrr, Moonshae Isles 750 miles (travel by water only), 15 days
    Candlekeep 720 miles, 36 days
    Daggerford 120 miles, 6 days
    Evereska 750 miles (via the path past Llorkh, between the Greycloak Hills and Forgotten Forest), 33 days
    Everlund 450 miles, 22 days
    Iriaebor 870 miles, 43 days
    Longsaddle 300 miles, 15 days
    Loudwater 390 miles, 18 days
    Luskan 440 miles, 22 days
    Mirabar 650 miles, 32 days
    Neverwinter 300 miles, 15 days
    Red Larch 100 miles, 5 days
    Scornubel 550 miles, 27 days
    Secomber 260 miles, 23 days
    Silverymoon 500 miles, 25 days
    Westgate 1,370 miles, 69 days
    Yartar 210 miles, 11 days
    What is your deal with the white text? Are you trying to deliberately obfuscate things? This was an issue in the last version of this thread as well...
    Laugh Daern laughed with this post

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Daern View Post
    I agree about the super fast leveling. It was weird when I played it at a con. I'm going the opposite direction and starting characters at a much higher level, continuing my campaign.
    Horror on the Hill? I think I had that as part of the "In Search of Adventure" compilation. If I remember the Halls of the Hobgoblin King lie beneath?
    Yep. Part of the B series. Really, most of those adventures would be easy to use. In this case, with B5 HotH, all I have to do is say the Nightstone villagers fled to an old monastery a few miles away in the hills to avoid the giant attack. And all the NPC prisoners in the original adventure are replaced with the SKT NPCs. It pretty much writes itself In fact, I think I'm gonna skip the orc attack on Nightstone altogether. That never felt right to me either, especially if the elves come to the rescue and just leave. I've never been a fan of "no matter what the protagonists do, they will be rescued!" trope, even if it's highly used (Gandalf, etc).

  7. #7
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    714
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

    Block Daern


    Friend+
    Sorry dude. It's pasted from a google doc. It comes in black, then I recolored it. Does it not show up on the white background version? This forum is weird.

  8. #8
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    714
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

    Block Daern


    Friend+
    Yeah, I would change the orcs part of Nightstone as well. I like the idea of the elves showing up to help against the orcs, then reluctantly asking for help against orcs in the forest. You could make those orcs hobgoblins, or make the HotH hobs into orcs.
    The worry for me with old dungeons is that they are so big and take so long. By the time you get out, the players forgot what was going on in the campaign.

  9. #9
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,538
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block robus


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Daern View Post
    Sorry dude. It's pasted from a google doc. It comes in black, then I recolored it. Does it not show up on the white background version? This forum is weird.
    What it looks like to most of us:

    Name:  D&D 5th Edition Enhancing _Storm King_s Thunder_.png
Views: 12321
Size:  213.9 KB

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Daern View Post
    Yeah, I would change the orcs part of Nightstone as well. I like the idea of the elves showing up to help against the orcs, then reluctantly asking for help against orcs in the forest. You could make those orcs hobgoblins, or make the HotH hobs into orcs.
    The worry for me with old dungeons is that they are so big and take so long. By the time you get out, the players forgot what was going on in the campaign.
    At this point, they players still don't know the main plot hook because they haven't gotten the next plot quest until they free Morak. So they wouldn't get the next plot hook until the finished HotH anyway. And even if that weren't the case, that's why you modify the old dungeons to tie in elements of the current campaign, making it a seamless transitions. We're DM's, it's our job

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 42 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Storm King's Thunder
    By Morrus in forum Roleplaying Game Ratings
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Saturday, 6th January, 2018, 05:31 AM
  2. [OOC] Creamsteak's Storm King's Thunder
    By Creamsteak in forum Talking the Talk
    Replies: 279
    Last Post: Wednesday, 3rd January, 2018, 08:22 PM
  3. The "Storm King" PrC (Maaajor Revision)
    By Arthaus in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Sunday, 17th November, 2002, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •