D&D 5E Enhancing "Storm King's Thunder"

Motorskills

Explorer
Thanks a lot, I'm happy to hear that the guide has been of use to you! If you have the time, a rating or review on the DM's Guild would mean the world to me! :)

Done! :)

Edit: I see you did a guide to Gruud Haag. If you do one for the Fire Giants, I will be an immediate customer. :)

Last edited:

Motorskills

Explorer
I already enhanced Fire Giants, making their armour (heavy, thick, well-crafted platemail) a thing. (They take half damage from attacks that hit AC 18 through AC22).

But I noticed that Giants' movement rates were all a bit off. Even if we allow that Fire Giants are slowed by wearing all that metal junk, I would still expect that their 18 foot tallness would count for something.

Thoughts?

In a similar vein, I want to give Frost Giants some better melee capability, again to reflect what they are about. I will probably steal some manoeuvres from the Battlemaster.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Done! :)
Edit: I see you did a guide to Gruud Haag. If you do one for the Fire Giants, I will be an immediate customer. :)
Damn you, [MENTION=6795723]JValeur[/MENTION]! Another purchase I'll need to make, but it'll be some time yet before my players are ready to tackle any of the chiefs. Still, nice to know you are continuing to produce these guide. Love em! Fire and Frost next please!

I already enhanced Fire Giants, making their armour (heavy, thick, well-crafted platemail) a thing. (They take half damage from attacks that hit AC 18 through AC22).

But I noticed that Giants' movement rates were all a bit off. Even if we allow that Fire Giants are slowed by wearing all that metal junk, I would still expect that their 18 foot tallness would count for something.

Thoughts?

In a similar vein, I want to give Frost Giants some better melee capability, again to reflect what they are about. I will probably steal some manoeuvres from the Battlemaster.
I'm currently working on a project making some elite giant variants. I've completed hill and stone giants so far, and I'm currently working on frost giants. Check out my "Homebrew Giant Elites" thread.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Daern

Explorer
Thoughts on Storm King starting at 8th level?
We've just finished Curse of Strahd and want to continue.
I'm thinking we'll just get right into it and I'll just add a couple extra giants to every encounter, especially the big town fights, just do away with the Player NPC shenanigans.
Actually, at least one player made it to the Sky Castle in Hoard of the Dragon Queen years ago but had to run away. The group will be re-entering Faerun on the back of a Roc. Maybe they will run right into Blagothus intent on starting a War.

Thoughts on Storm King starting at 8th level?
We've just finished Curse of Strahd and want to continue.
I'm thinking we'll just get right into it and I'll just add a couple extra giants to every encounter, especially the big town fights, just do away with the Player NPC shenanigans.
Actually, at least one player made it to the Sky Castle in Hoard of the Dragon Queen years ago but had to run away. The group will be re-entering Faerun on the back of a Roc. Maybe they will run right into Blagothus intent on starting a War.
Technically you could, I would just not have your characters level until they choose their first giant lord target (which should be level 8, but 9 won't be too much of a stretch), and then skip levelling immediately after defeating that giant lord, at which point they will be at the correct level.

This may result in a serious amount of time at level 8, but that can be reduced by getting the party to the Eye of the All Father quickly.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Daern

Explorer
Having just done exactly that, I don't recommend it. SKT requires a fat bum load of work from the DM already and having to rework enemies and encounters to adjust to 8th-level just exacerbates that.

Really? I haven't analyzed it too closely, but it seems like if I just add a couple giants to which ever town and dont pull punches I should be able to knock them around a little.

Remove ads