GREYHAWK: The Golden Era CY963: A1-P1-S2 [RESTORED CAMPAIGN THREAD]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Answered Questions.

SYLVAR'S QUESTIONS ANSWERED BY DENBY

Sylvar said:
"...So, we should take this slow, first I'll tell you that my name is not Gretius, it is Sylvar."

Denby (To Sylvar): "Names are precious things. Thanks for telling me your real one. I am pleased to meet you, Sylvar."

Sylvar said:
"Your ring interests me because it has been enchanted. [...] I'm curious about why they just didn't kill you instead."

Denby (To Sylvar): "The answer to that is simple; if they didn't kill me straight away, then they needed me alive for some reason. Perhaps they are trying to frame me for some crime? If so, it would be useful to have only one 'Denby' walking around, committing whatever crimes. In the meantime, if I am wandering around, claiming to be transformed, it will make people suspicious. They won't think 'Someone's trying to frame Denby.' They'll think: 'There's that Denby; he's a criminal, and I hear he's a shape-shifter!' ... Then, once the crimes are committed, people will think I disguised myself to avoid capture."

Sylvar said:
"Also, would you mind telling me about the blood on your shirt, do you know where it came from?"

Denby (To Sylvar): "Oh, this? Well, it seems Edward was correct, even though his comment was meant as sarcasm. I did indeed help Brandon butcher a pig while we were waiting on the water to boil. As for the ring, I'll lend it to you if you like. It's not like you could misuse it. Although the signet clearly identifies me as the one whose seal appears in the wax, only I have knowledge of the exact tint mixture / color of wax with which it must be used."

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar nods as Denby answers his questions....It is a pleasure to meet you too, Sylvar says with a slight bow if his head... I will return in a moment. I am going to give your ring to my compatriot, the one who was able detect the magic on your ring. I believe he is going to attempt to dispel the enchantment that is on it.

Sylvar walks out of the holding area and finds Vale. Excuse me gentlemen, Vale if I could speak to you for a moment. Sylvar walks a few steps away from Edward, far enough to no be overheard. Sylvar relates to Vale everything Denby told him and hands him the ring. He looks at Edward, and says, "I believe the man in your cell really is your sheriff, if this is true his life is in danger. I'd like permission to hang around in this office a while longer in case something happens." Sylvar then turns and speaks to Vale again. I believe it would be prudent if one of the others were hanging around, perhaps not in the jail but nearby.

Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
During all of this I stand back and observe, attempting to garner additional knowledge on the situation and potential magics at work. When the enchantments and their different effects are mentioned, my interest is piqued even more and I make a mental note to inquire about it at a more appropriate time. Other than that, I remain a silent observer unless spoken to directly.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
At this point Lathir is in a situation that has no obvious solution. There is no one of the party to contact nor means of doing so and If he loses sight of the other observer, he may lose sight of him permanently. He considers shifting so that he can more easily follow unobserved, but maybe later if that becomes necessary.

For the time being, he will simply observe and try to remain unobserved in return.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale - A Momentary Interruption...

Sylvar nods as Denby answers his questions....It is a pleasure to meet you too, Sylvar says with a slight bow if his head... I will return in a moment. I am going to give your ring to my compatriot, the one who was able detect the magic on your ring. I believe he is going to attempt to dispel the enchantment that is on it.
Sylvar walks out of the holding area and finds Vale. Excuse me gentlemen, Vale if I could speak to you for a moment. Sylvar walks a few steps away from Edward, far enough to no be overheard. Sylvar relates to Vale everything Denby told him and hands him the ring. He looks at Edward, and says, "I believe the man in your cell really is your sheriff, if this is true his life is in danger. I'd like permission to hang around in this office a while longer in case something happens." Sylvar then turns and speaks to Vale again. I believe it would be prudent if one of the others were hanging around, perhaps not in the jail but nearby.

OOC: I am assuming that Lathir is outside based on what he sees, and Dewydd is inside the sheriff's office.

~ Not sure how much I trust the local constabulary. ~

Vale very gruffly and quietly to Sylvar: "If this "Denby" remains here, we need him under protection. The deputy and I were just discussing having the local St. Cuthbert priest dispel the illusion on his signet ring. I agree with you remaining here. Lathir remained outside, keeping watch I presume."

Vale to Edward: "I need my armor; this entire morning is crowded with shenanigans. I want it. "

Vale opens the door to the sheriff's office, at which Gus stands. Vale speaks to Gus: "Gus, fetch my armor please. Go to Clavers. You've done this before. Bring me my shirt. Gus quickly trots toward the inn, pleased that he has a mission. Perhaps Clavers has scraps too. Maybe piggies.

To Edward again: "We can leave when he gets back. It shan't take him long. It's not as if Clavers can ignore him. He'll want him outside of the inn in short order. So he'll do what Gus wants. Your fellow deputy shall be back by then; I'd like one of you fellas here. After all, it's your place." I need to talk to "Denby" again; I have some questions to pass the time while Gus is getting my gear. As he walks toward the back where the cells are, he asks Dewydd, "You staying here or coming with the deputy and me to the St. Cuthbert priest when Gus gets back with my armor?"

After Dewydd answers, Vale thinks a moment and returns to "Denby" and Sylvar. He paces for a moment, stroking his beard, and he quietly speaks to the man in the cell, careful to not allow Edward to hear him: "Denby, I have some more questions for you. Think hard on this. If indeed you are the sheriff, and I am leaning toward you being just that as the elf here believes also, could there be anyone in your deputies who would be easily made a weak link? Perhaps because they are green, or have a short attention span, or have a problem with the ale, or because of jealousy of you? I am the slightest bit concerned about the secrets we are uncovering."

Once Gus returns with the mithral shirt, Vale proceeds to the priest with Deputy Edward, leaving Barney Fife, I mean Paulek, at the sheriff's office.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar goes back into the holding area and speaks with Denby. "My friend has taken your ring and is going to attempt to have the enchantment removed. I believe you may remember Vale Stonegallow." He agrees that your life may be in danger. Some of my company are outside, and I will be in the front office keeping an eye on things." Sylvar waits for Denby's reply if there is one, then walks back to the front office. He picks up his Naginata from where he left it leaning between an book shelf and the wall and stands at ease next to the entrance to the holding area. It appears that he is not paying much attention but in reality he is watching the door intently... after a moment he looks at Edward. "Master Edward, I have spoken at length with Sir Denby, He is certainly not inebriated, but his life is very likely in danger. What do you think of returning his sword to him? Just in case something occurs. At the moment he is defenseless in his cell, perhaps we could let him out if he agrees to stay in your office. Of course, I defer to your judgement, you have certainly earned your position.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Intrigue in the village of Caltaran.

A MEETING OF THE MINDS.

Sylvar said:
He looks at Edward, and says, "I believe the man in your cell really is your sheriff, if this is true his life is in danger. I'd like permission to hang around in this office a while longer in case something happens."

Edward (To Sylvar): "Yes, your friend here was just saying the same thing to me. Feel free to remain, and your friend as well," he says, indicating Dewydd, "...it's a small matter; Paulek will be back directly with the coffee, so he'll be an added measure of protection as well."

Dewydd nods silently, still standing behind Sylvar.

Vale said:
To Edward again: "We can leave when he gets back. It shan't take him long."

Edward chuckles, and says: "It's quite alright. I certainly wish that I had such an animal, who could fetch my armor for me."

Vale said:
As he walks toward the back where the cells are, he asks Dewydd, "You staying here or coming with the deputy and me to the St. Cuthbert priest when Gus gets back with my armor?"

Dewydd replies, "I'll stay here."
OOC: David, I replied for you in order to facilitate continuation of my post. Your decision to stay or go is a moot point anyway. [See below.]

Vale said:
He paces for a moment, stroking his beard, and he quietly speaks to the man in the cell, careful to not allow Edward to hear him: "Denby, I have some more questions for you. Think hard on this. If indeed you are the sheriff, and I am leaning toward you being just that as the elf here believes also, could there be anyone in your deputies who would be easily made a weak link? Perhaps because they are green, or have a short attention span, or have a problem with the ale, or because of jealousy of you? I am the slightest bit concerned about the secrets we are uncovering."

Sylvar said:
Sylvar goes back into the holding area and speaks with Denby. "My friend has taken your ring and is going to attempt to have the enchantment removed."

Denby frowns, but then says: "Well, Paulek's the youngest, being only 19, and the most impulsive; while Edward, at age 25, is the eldest of my deputies, and the most level-headed. The other boys fall in-between those ranges, in both age and temperament. But they're all good lads. All of them drink too much, but they're young. None of them, that I know of, has ever said a bad word about me, or complained about how I do my job. They're all from respected families, and usually behave pretty well. I do find it strange that Paulek was so confrontational, but I'm beginning to wonder if that ring affects more than just the eyesight? Do you plan to examine it closely before attempting to dispel it? I'm no wizard, but it seems to me that you'd want to know what it is you're dealing with before you begin throwing dispels around."

Sylvar said:
...after a moment he looks at Edward. "Master Edward, I have spoken at length with Sir Denby, He is certainly not inebriated, but his life is very likely in danger. What do you think of returning his sword to him? Just in case something occurs. At the moment he is defenseless in his cell, perhaps we could let him out if he agrees to stay in your office. Of course, I defer to your judgement, you have certainly earned your position."

Edward pauses a moment, like he's thinking it over. "I've a better idea; I'll return his sword to him. It certainly looks like the one Denby had, and after all, he surrendered it voluntarily. He can simply accompany us to the church. While the priest is looking at the ring, he can use spells on this man to determine whether or not he's telling the truth. We'd kill two birds with one stone. That way, no one would need to remain behind, and the prisoner would be well-protected while in the company of so many concerned friends. What say all of you?"

At that exact moment, Paulek walks through the door. Gus enters also, carrying Vale's shirt, brushing past Paulek, nearly knocking him over, causing him to slosh the coffee a little, but falling short of actually spilling it. "Aargh! Clumsy beast! Watch where ye're a goin'!" he exclaims. His tone is one of irritation, but falls short of actual malice or anger.

[Everyone: What do you do?]

MEANWHILE, OUTSIDE:

Lathir, when Paulek and Gus both start heading toward the jail, the man in Forest Green spits in disgust, and says something under his breath. He casually walks across the street, and mounts his horse, a white mare with a red and blue saddle blanket, and a fancy riding saddle. He guides the horse down the road at a casual pace, and he looks to be headed out of town.

[Lathir: What do you do?]

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
There are games afoot.

~ Oh boy, I was not expected a mounted departure. Oh well, I'm sure I can find the others, again. ~

Lathir backs into the alley out of immediate sight and shifts into a large dog. He immediately begins following the mounted rider with a deliberate effort to collect the scent of the two so that he can follow them at a greater distance as a happy dog lolling down the street should not attract undue attention. With the ease of four legs, he will also periodically pause as if checking for scent markings on objects like a real dog would do fully intending on keeping the quarry in sight as well.

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Nodding in agreement with the proposed course of action, I add, "I'm sorry I'm not of much help when it comes to these magical issues, gentlemen. I've always been more of a person with a sturdy back and a strong arm. I do find this all rather fascinating. Earlier you mentioned that your belt boosts your strength... Is that something that only comes on items, or can any person do such things to increase their physical prowess if they are trained in the magical arts?"

GM:
Denby shrugs his shoulders. As he answers, Edward opens the cell door and hands his sword back to him; the sword is a marvelous thing, exquisite in every way. "I'm not sure. Growing up as a petty noble, I'm used to the idea of commissioning wizards to make magical baubles, but I have no clue as to their exact properties; having said that, I would imagine that while the belt continually functions, simply casting a spell to make one stronger would be something more temporary, requiring the spell to be re-cast every so often, as the need arises."

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar to Edward: I believe that your idea is a splendid one. I'll wait in front of your office. Sylvar steps out into the sunlight of the street, he squints for a moment as his eyes adjust to being outside. Then he begins to look around for anyone or anything out of place. Anything that could be dangerous to the Sheriff. Sylvar thinks to himself: It sure would be a shame if something happens to the Sheriff, it would make it much more difficult to solve this mystery of ours.

OOC: Rolled spot check. = 17
Rolled search = 15

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases