GREYHAWK: The Golden Era CY963: A1-P1-S2 [RESTORED CAMPAIGN THREAD]

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar stands and offers a respectful bow to Kasnik, "I am Sylvar Belanor, of the Celadon Forest. I'm a Bard and Adventurer. I was kidnapped by Ice Barbarians. I befriended my captors and I was eventually given my freedom. Though I follow the Mighty Odin and the decision in not mine alone, I welcome a knight of Valarian to our number. I plan on writing an epic tale of our adventures, you are the sort that will give our tale flavor." Sylvar re-takes his seat and thanks the priest for his tea, but not knowing who he can trust does not drink it. The last several days have been strange indeed, he does not plan on being drugged. He will NOT be taken captive again.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir, who is casually walking with the horse, deliberately leads the animal to the main street, then mounts it, making sure to show due courtesy to any pedestrians. He soothes the animal to his presence, then using druidic skill with animals or spell if required, attempts to coax the animal to travel to where his previous rider was leading him. If that proves too complicated for the animal, Lathir tells the horse to go home, to simply see where it might lead.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sugarfoot

Lathir said:
He soothes the animal to his presence, then using Druidic skill with animals or spell if required, attempts to coax the animal to travel to where his previous rider was leading him.

GM:
Wild Empathy: Used to calm and soothe animals, and improve their attitude toward the Druid. Roll = 1d20 + Druid Level (5) + CHA (1) = 1d20+6.
Result = 8; Fail. This horse has been BADLY mistreated by its owner, and is slow to trust, even someone such as yourself, a gentle guardian of nature.

GM: Lathir casts Speak With Animals. After a direct conversation with the horse, the animal realizes what you are, and that you truly mean it no harm. It agrees to lead you to its master's camp. It tells you that its name is Sugarfoot, but its new owner calls it "Old Nag."

Lathir, you begin by trying to sooth and calm the horse, but your attempts meet with no success; wondering why the horse is so timid, you cast Speak With Animals, so that you can ask it direct questions. When the horse realizes that you can understand it, it tells you that it used to live in a quiet meadow, where a young girl would come and brush her mane, and take her riding. Then, it was sold by the girl's father to its current owner, who refuses to call her by her name, Sugarfoot. Instead, he calls her "Old Nag," and is always mean to her, using the spurs too heavily, and swatting her with a riding crop, even when she performs as asked. Sugarfoot says that if you'll make sure that she is given a nice home again, she will lead you to her master's campsite, which lies a few hours' ride South of town, behind a large hill.

GM: Assuming Lathir's Agreement

As you mount the horse, it whinnies gladly at the thought of finding a new home, and begins to trot toward the South Gate, through it, and into the hill country beyond. Paulek is busy talking to a commoner in the entry lane, asking for papers, and does not notice you leave. You simply blend in with the exit traffic, which flows freely, like a river, in comparison to the entry traffic, which flows more like mud.

GM:
Lathir, we will handle this excursion through email, since you will be completely away from the party for a couple of hours.

Diarmadhim

Explorer
My mouth slightly agape, I visibly attempt to clear my head and take in what has transpired. After a moment I reply, "I had thought the tales of Valarian's beloved were merely wistful fables. All of the stories I have heard never mentioned one of Orc blood being chosen, let alone a male, but I suppose I have been witness to far stranger things!"

Nodding in agreement with Sylvar I add, "I too would extend my welcome and open invitation to join our company. The name is Dewydd Moresby, and I would consider it an honor to count you among our number."

Turning to the priest I move directly on to business.
"My compatriots and I believe this man," I state, motioning to Denby, "to be under the effects of some type of magic that has changed his appearance against his will. We were hoping you would be able to help us return him to normal - if magic is the cause of his current state, that is."

Last edited:

akahdrin

First Post
Kasnik, nods his head and stands up. The feeling of being welcomed eased his mind. "Thank you everyone." Kasnik sheathes his great sword back into his scabbard and embraces them all with a forearm hand shake.

To Harold, he smiles and says "No, we have never met."

To Dewydd, he says "As for me being a male and an orc, they did say I was the first. A chance was taken on me and my bond to them is eternal."

To Sylvar, he says "I've heard of the lands you hail from. It lies beyond the mountains past the Bright Desert. In my youth I made quite a few trips to the region for trade with my desert kin. I've never gone further than the lands near the Sea of Gearnat and Woolly Bay. This is the furthest I've ventured from my woodland home."

As he greets both Edward and Denby "Yes, I'm a water orc. I'm surprised that you have heard of us. We rarely venture out past the seas like our green-skinned kin."

And finally to Father Xavier which he greets with a bow "Thank you for welcoming me in your sanctuary."

Kasnik keeps his thoughts to himself regarding the situation at hand as it is all new to him.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Kasnik said:
To Harold, he smiles and says "No, we have never met."

Harold smiles, and says:
"I'm glad to meet you, and I'm sorry if I was a bit jumpy at first. But my question was directed to this man here, who called me by my nickname, 'Little Hair.' To my knowledge, I've never met him before."

To which Denby replies: "It will all become very clear to you in a few minutes," he says, assuringly, with a knowing wink.

Harold looks confused, and less-than-comfortable, but says nothing further.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale & Respen

~ Let’s see if these St. Cuthbert fellows are useful. ~

Vale speaks to the priest, following up to Dewydd's comments, “We have a ring that has been enchanted. It isn’t imbued with magic; instead, an illusion has been cast on it. We want the magic dispelled, preferably with knowledge of what it is beforehand, but dispelled nonetheless.”

Looking among group, Vale continues: “The Sheriff is presumed to be, at least, missing. He could be here (points at ‘Denby’). However, his men do not recognize him (points at Edward and any other deputy or guard present). Indeed, he does not look like the Denby who I had occasion to visit briefly a fortnight or two ago (points again at ‘Denby’). I believe ‘Denby’, in that he seems to be quite familiar with Edward, Paulek, and others. I also believe him for other reasons provided by my companions here (nodding at Respen, Sylvar, & Dewydd). Edward, we were on to see you lads to investigate when you squared off against each other outside of your building. ”

Vale pauses a moment to allow everyone present to catch up and looks about the group, “Although we haven’t put all of the pieces together, I suspect shenanigans of a more complicated sort. Would anyone care to add more to this puzzle?

Respen takes in what Vale has said, wishing he had gone with the group instead of feeling out local merchants. “And the man in green you captured? What is he to all this?”

Vale
thinks for a moment, and then replies, “I don’t know, good elf. However, we are going to find out, one way or another. ” At this mention, a shadow falls over Vale’s face. He isn’t joking.

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen - Independent Response

Respen, To Kasnik: "Excellent to make your acquaintance, Sir. I am wholly unfamiliar with water species of Orcs, and as unfamiliar with Valarian. Nevertheless, given the others' clear knowledge of same, I am impressed. Tell me...are you able to breathe underwater?"

Respen recalls his time on ships travelling to this region. He encountered several aquatic species in passing, but never had a conversation with one.

Leaning in toward Dewydd while Vale is speaking, Respen whispers, "Dewyyd, do you suppose I could hypnotize the green rider and get him to tell us his secrets? I also wonder how quiet we should remain about our encounters before we reached Caltaran. A far cry from undead, but just as puzzling. "

Diarmadhim

Explorer
With a subtle nod I whisper my reply, "Hypnotism might work - I saw it used once while in the field. We had captured an enemy Pomarj scout. It gave us the route and size of their raiding party. If Sylvar uses his ability to detect thoughts too, which he told us of earlier with the guards, we have an even better chance of discerning what is going on when you question the man. Come to think of it... I don't recall Sylvar ever telling us what he discerned from Edward and Paulek. I agree, this all is not part of my original intent for gathering a group, but I believe it is far more important! After we discern if the not-quite Denby is the actual Denby or not, I will reveal what else we have learned. Keeping it a secret once we are sure whom the good folk of the region are will only serve to make possible alliances more difficult and might result in the deaths of innocents due to them being unprepared; even if we don't know what the red orcs' plans were entirely."

Moving over to Sylvar, I quietly ask,
"Sylvar, what exactly did you divine earlier when you entered the minds of the guards? Whatever it was caused you to launch into that gripping bardic display."

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Responding quietly: I wasn't able to divine much, Denby's will was too strong and Edward was concentrating very hard. However, Paulek was very hostile. He seems to be the type that is slow to thought but quick to action.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases