So I've made a Tabaxi Rogue. Level 2.

Here's my stats:

8 Str
16 Dex
14 Con
9 Int
14 Wis
14 Cha

It's a two person party. Myself and a Greatsword using Fighter. I don't anticipate the campaign going past level 10.

I'm curious about what Archetype you think would be good. Obviously, Arcane Trickster is out with my low Int. All Unearthed Arcana is available, so...

Mastermind
seems alright overall.
Swashbuckler is solid all around, helping me dual wield.
Assassin doesn't add much besides nova damage, which IS great. But that's it.
Thief is... Alright. Lets me get creative with environment and item use.
Inquisitor (UA: Gothic Heroes) is... I don't know what to make of it.

I'm leaning Assassin. I figure the sooner enemies drop, the better. But after that single hit, it's... Not great. Swashbuckler, on the other hand, is more consistent damage over the battle.

If your fighter buddy is going GWM then go Mastermind. No need for extra dps from you when he's one shotting everything.

Not adding the Scout to the guide at the moment, since it's still playtest material, but I'll rate it as is in the comments, and you all can discuss:

Overall, Scout gets a blue rating. It's basically "spell-less ranger as a Rogue subclass." Lots of extra mobility from this subclass.
  • Survivalist: Lv. 3. Free skill proficiencies (and effectively Expertise) in Nature and Survival. Certainly fitting flavor-wise, and can't complain about what's essentially two free Expertised skills.
  • Skirmisher: Lv. 3. Free half-speed movement as a reaction, drawing no OAs. Big mobility boost on a class that is already very mobile.
  • Superior Mobility: Lv. 9. Extra 10 feet of speed. Always nice. With Cunning Action you get 80 feet of movement every time it's your turn. (Or 90 feet if a Wood Elf.)
  • Ambush Master: Lv. 13. Free party-wide initiative buff + first-round speed buff if you surprise any foes. This pretty much makes Alert a mandatory feat for a Scout by Lv. 12, since the buff's ceiling is your own initiative and you'd like to raise that.
  • Sudden Strike: Lv. 17. Lets you Sneak Attack two enemies every round. And even if there's just one enemy around, it's like getting the benefit of dual-wielding or Crossbow Expert with a free hand now available, entirely for free and with any weapon.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Skirmisher: Lv. 3. Free half-speed movement as a reaction, drawing no OAs. Big mobility boost on a class that is already very mobile.

I worry that once you hit 5th and get Uncanny Dodge which competes for your reaction this will quickly become second fiddle. I can see cases where you want it, but also cases where it won't help (can't move out of movement/attack range of other foes) and Uncanny Dodge will, leaving this behind. I'd put it Black.

That's the only one of the features I had input on, otherwise you really nailed my thoughts.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I worry that once you hit 5th and get Uncanny Dodge which competes for your reaction this will quickly become second fiddle. I can see cases where you want it, but also cases where it won't help (can't move out of movement/attack range of other foes) and Uncanny Dodge will, leaving this behind. I'd put it Black.

That's the only one of the features I had input on, otherwise you really nailed my thoughts.

I see Skirmisher being useful if you are getting swarmed or getting attacked by an enemy with multiple attacks. Uncanny Dodge would be to mitigate that one big hit that is aimed at you.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I see Skirmisher being useful if you are getting swarmed or getting attacked by an enemy with multiple attacks. Uncanny Dodge would be to mitigate that one big hit that is aimed at you.

Skirmisher is not useful at all against a foe with multiple attacks. It's triggered by them ending their turn next to you, so they get all of their attacks at full damage, vs. reducing at least one of them.

When getting swarmed IF you can move such that you are out of the range of the others it's good, otherwise from #2 on they can just swarm you in your new location.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Skirmisher is not useful at all against a foe with multiple attacks. It's triggered by them ending their turn next to you, so they get all of their attacks at full damage, vs. reducing at least one of them.

When getting swarmed IF you can move such that you are out of the range of the others it's good, otherwise from #2 on they can just swarm you in your new location.

Ah yes, you're right. So yeah its really only useful against a swarm or if you can "kite" a really big enemy (which should be easy to do due to Cunning Action in future rounds).

thenannymoh

First Post
Great guide!

Regarding the feat Great Weapon Master...with a multiclass fighter (particularly Champion) build, this feat can really increase in value. Of course, the second bullet in the feat description requires a two-handed weapon... But the first bullet is any melee:

"On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action."

With Action surge and advantage, and a second attack at level 5, you have a decent chance at at a sneak crit and then you just bought yourself another attack. The widened crit range for champion starts paying off, and those future rogue sneak levels get nasty. Not a feat for every build, but still useful for some when you need alot of burst damage.

Great guide!

Regarding the feat Great Weapon Master...with a multiclass fighter (particularly Champion) build, this feat can really increase in value. Of course, the second bullet in the feat description requires a two-handed weapon... But the first bullet is any melee:

"On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action."

With Action surge and advantage, and a second attack at level 5, you have a decent chance at at a sneak crit and then you just bought yourself another attack. The widened crit range for champion starts paying off, and those future rogue sneak levels get nasty. Not a feat for every build, but still useful for some when you need alot of burst damage.

You don't get Sneak Attack again with the extra attack from that feat. And that attack only comes when you either crit or kill with an attack, which means you already used Sneak Attack on your turn. That makes GWM still not worth it for Rogues, since you're adding comparatively negligible damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads