[v.3.5] Realmsian Dragonstar: The Battle of Toril PbP Game [IC] (Game Cancelled)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Shayuri
Silhouette winces as the house she and Thak are hiding behind trembles under the concussive force of the blast at the docks. Thatch falls over them, and the window off to one side blows out in a shower of cloudy glass. She shakes her head, trying to clear it of the ringing sensation in her ears that's muffling the world around her.

"Are you all right?" she asks the towering goliath beside her. He nods.

A quick spell envelopes Silhouette in a less...conspicuous...seeming. That of a half-elf wearing similar clothing, but colored in shades of blue and violet and green. Thus girded, she and Thak emerge from their shelter to cautiously make their way down the path towards what's left of the docks.

Silhouette scowls slightly at the carnage. That flying carriage would have been ideal. Still, perhaps something of value had been salvaged? They'd have to see.
The carnage has left several of the Flaming Fists dead in the street. A few of them are still alive. Most notably their commander who stands transfixed, his eyes on the winged man. A raptoran if Silhouette is remembering correctly. He stands next to the man with the floating jewel that attached itself to Haspur. The crystal had called the red-haired man Dakashi.

Wait! Haspur, where is he? She thinks. The last thing she remembers was him running away. Looking again at the carnage, it seems the mad prophet's fears were indeed real.

Thrak stands beside her solemnly. He looks at the carnage with an uneasiness that Silhouette has rarely seen in him.

Originally Posted by Shayuri
"Friends," she called as they came down. "Well fought! Did you manage to save that hobgoblin? He seemed to know quite a lot about what's going on!"
She soon discovers that the hobgoblin does indeed live. He is being tended to by the xeph girl. She had fought toe to toe with one of the armored men and lived. She was either very brave or very foolish.

Silhouette can tell the hobgoblin is likely hovering on the edge of death. He will need healing if he's going to be able to explain what is happening.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Rodan steps forward and into the midst of the injured and dying. "Lord Eltan, I will help your men. I would have helped your men even without the promises of reward, for I cannot stand to see those suffer when help could have been provided. This will mend their bodies, but the nightmares will remain. The nightmares always remain."

The raptoran gives a strong prayer to The Merchant and sends out his healing magic, touching those that are closest to death's door. Afterwards, he then begins to administer his healing skills to any and all injured, muttering to himself all the while about the tragedy he witnessed.

OOC: Dropping Spell Resistance for Cure Light Wounds, Mass. It can heal up to 10 people/animals. Rodan will heal the ones hurt the most and stabilize the dying.

(Cure Light Wounds, Mass; Healing Skill)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Salthorae
"Ughh. So that's what a building feels like when it falls on you," Shazer'as voice calls over Nelalwe's comms. She can hear the shifting of rubble as his enormous strength enhanced further by magic lifts even heave blocks off and away from him. "Shazer'a, you made it! I thought I was going to have to take you home already to get your shiny body!" Nelalwe exclaims as she darts up in flight and over to where he would emerge from the building. "Get out here so I can heal you you big lug!"

As Shazer'a flies out covered in some of his own blood and dust from rubble and debris covering him head to toe. "I'm fine... I heard and saw Eltan and some of his Fist's enter the harbor just prior to the detonation. Let us see if we can salvage anything of him or his forces. Who knows, if he yet lives, maybe he'll now listen to us. Save your healing capacity for him and maybe weave me in if you can."
In the back of his mind, Shazer'a considers Lachlan Scaro and how his old foe came to be here at the same time he did. Was it just a random occurrence or had Fate put them here together to renew an old rivalry. Looking at the destruction all around him, Shaz can only wonder how worse it would have been if he and Nel hadn't been here.

Originally Posted by KainG
Kethrendil lowered his arm that shielded his eyes from the explosion. Gods, he had never seen an explosion as destructive as this. He may not have known what the flying carriage truly was, but the half-dragon's words were clear enough. He seemed to know what this was about, so Keth had heeded his words and rushed away as far as he could.

When he heard Duke Eltan's war cry, he halted and looked back. He could only look in horror as the machine exploded, blowing away the brave half-dragon, and engulfing Duke Eltan and his retinue.
The blast had nearly knocked Kethrendil and the others nearby off their feet. He'd hate to think what would have happened to him if he hadn't run away. Watching the duke and his soldiers ride into that blast had been one of the hardest things he's ever had to witness.

With that, the two of them fly directly towards the blast epicenter to see if anyone yet lives.
The epicenter is a mark of destruction. the hoverjeep was completely gone. Whatever device Lachlan had built into its power core had done its job well. Most of the Flaming Fists are either dead or dying. Shazer'a is glad to see that Eltan does indeed still live. He is standing over a dead comrade and asking the raptoran to heal his remaining soldiers. The cleric is obviously not from the world. His armor and gear give him away as a either Imperial expat or an Outlander.

Either way, his celestial bear had saved many this day. The summoned bear sat in the rubble in one of the nearby buildings licking its wounds.

And there was a red-haired man and his xeph companion. Both of them had performed well during the fight. The xeph was tending to the hobgoblin while her master... no mentor stood next to the raptoran. Shaz sees that both of the elves, a male and female, who'd fought beside them also lived. Heroic natives of the world who would be greatly needed to fight against the invasion to come. Wait, there are two others as well! A female half-elf he hadn't seen earlier and a very large man who stands next to her, protectively.

Shaz remembers another, odd fellow. A bard, maybe. He was dress in Outlander gear, as well, but he seems to have disappeared. Saz checks the rest of the harbor for the invaders. He finds only one that lives; one of the shock troopers sits along the edge of a ruined wall. The orc man is severely hurt. Surrendering hadn't saved him or his companions from Lachlan's treachery. Shaz sees no sign of the invader's leader, Zugorim. It seems the bastard has lived to run away and be caught another day. The hobgoblin might be helpful with that, if Shaz can keep Eltan from skewering the goblin man.

Turning his attention back to Eltan, the man is hurt but not nearly as bad as his soldiers. Even his horse is alive, barely. A female soldier tries to settle it down so it doesn't hurt itself more. She coughs as she does, her throat stinging from the acidic vapors left behind by the explosion. An irritant but not fatal. Eltan stands with his back to where Shaz and Nel land, near the epicenter. The knight's instincts take over and Shaz soon finds a blade pointed at his jugular. The man is haggered and distraught, which is mirrored in Sha'z own eyes.

Originally Posted by KainG
As the dust cleared, the elf cursed at his inability to have prevented this. Staring at the remains of the explosion, Kethrendil feared the worst, but then he saw movement. The half-dragon was alive, and flying!

"Hey! You all right?" Keth called out to him. The elf hurried to the center of the explosion, keeping an eye out for other survivors, especially the Duke.
Keth is surprised to see that Grand Duke Eltan lives! Soem of his men weren't so lucky, however. The sight is brutal. There are pieces of body parts scattered around the area where the explosion took place. Keth sees as one man tries to gasp for air but can't because half his chest is gone. The man dies holding another knight's hand. It's grisly. One of their former foes. The female member of the group who he had face just moments ago was lying on the ground bleeding everywhere. She took off her helmet and Keth could see some human features in her face. A half-orc not an orc! Her face was filled with fear and Keth could see tears in her eyes.

As Keth calls out to he half-dragon, he and his companion land behind Duke Eltan who looks ragged but in no danger of dying. Indeed, the leader of the Flaming Fists quickly draws his blade, turns, and points it at the half-dragon. His hands do not shake but his knees tremble.

"You, you were at the temple," Eltan says to Shaz after recognizing the half-dragon. "You yelled something, but I couldn't hear it over the crowd. Who are you, half-dragon? And why are you here in Baldur's Gate? Are you one of these offworlders the High Artificer warned me about? Have you come to consul or to conquer? Speak!"

OOC: Shaz can tell that the man is on edge. A Diplomacy check might be a good idea at this point. Eltan is considered Unfriendly at this point.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
Rodan steps forward and into the midst of the injured and dying. "Lord Eltan, I will help your men. I would have helped your men even without the promises of reward, for I cannot stand to see those suffer when help could have been provided. This will mend their bodies, but the nightmares will remain. The nightmares always remain."
Rodan's words seems to calm the man, that is, until the half-dragon lands behind the knight. Eltan's blade is drawn quicker than Rodan's eyes can follow. The knight and protector of the city points his blade at the half-dragon and asks him the questions that the leaders of Rodan's own people had asked those that had come to either enslave or warn Rodan's world.

The raptoran gives a strong prayer to The Merchant and sends out his healing magic, touching those that are closest to death's door. Afterwards, he then begins to administer his healing skills to any and all injured, muttering to himself all the while about the tragedy he witnessed.
The magic flows out off Rodan and into the worst of the wounded. He is happy to see that several of the soldiers on death's door begin to breath better and their color returns. They will need more than magical healing, however. Horrors such as this often leave mental scars as well.

He tends to those who need it most before going to check on the hobgoblin. The goblin man is badly wounded, but with his healing touch and medical gear, Rodan soon has the hobgoblin patched up. He'll live to answer the questions that will soon follow.

Rodan looks for any sign of the half-ogre. He finds her, dead, half hanging from one of the dock posts. A strap from a shoulder belt keeps her from sinking into the water. She is burned to a crisp and her gear is either destroyed or soaked. Blood and gore cover the edge of the dock and Rodan has to be careful not to slip on her life fluids.

He saves the surviving invader for last. While her wounds are serious, she wasn't in any danger of dying. Rodan can see that she's not a full-blooded orc. Half orc, half human most likely. The badges on her sleeve mark her as a mercenary for hire. She tries not to look at him as he tends her wounds. She had been crying earlier and now tried to hold back the tears once again. Her arms and legs are burnt from fire and lightning, as is half off her face.

As Rodan finishes with her, she speaks to him, finally. "I, I am sorry. It w-wasn't sup-" She stops herself from saying more.

OOC: Dropping Spell Resistance for Cure Light Wounds, Mass. It can heal up to 10 people/animals. Rodan will heal the ones hurt the most and stabilize the dying, using his diagnostics monitor if necessary. I don't have my Dragonstar handbook with me and am unsure if the diagnostics monitor gives any bonus to heal checks.

(Cure Light Wounds, Mass, Healing Skill)
OOC: Rodan's spell is good enough to heal and stabilize the worst of the wounded. I'm assuming he's only going to use his Heal skill on the hobgoblin unless you say otherwise. (He's nowhere near as bad off as some of the others but he's going to need either rest or magical healing before he regains consciousness.)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Rodan pats the half-orc lightly on her arm, then says aloud, "I do not know what you may have intended this day, but you must have known on some level that coming here in such a way could only have resulted in violence and death. If you want forgiveness for your actions, I am not the one who can give it to you. You shall only receive it from those who you have wronged, and only after time and effort." Rodan then rises and uses his remaining cure light wounds spells on those that are the most grievously harmed. As he works he says to the local authorities.

"I cannot speak for the others, but I myself am a refugee fleeing from the carnage of invaders such as these. However, those you faced today were mere pirates. It is likely that the Empire now knows of this world and is coming to claim it. They will come with much greater power than what you have seen today. The only choice would be between flight or surrender, if you would ask my opinion. My people chose to fight instead, and we were answered with fire and death..." Rodan tells the nearby authorities his tale as he tries to keep his hands from shaking and administers further to the wounded.

OOC: Casting five more Cure Light Wounds, leaving only Updraft as the remaining 1st level spell. Also trying for Diplomacy to calm those nearby. Requesting a bonus to Diplomacy since I am using more magic to heal the most wounded of Duke Eltan's men and horses.

Rodan pats the half-orc lightly on her arm, then says aloud, "I do not know what you may have intended this day, but you must have known on some level that coming here in such a way could only have resulted in violence and death. If you want forgiveness for your actions, I am not the one who can give it to you. You shall only receive it from those who you have wronged, and only after time and effort."
She hangs her head and says nothing more.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Rodan then rises and uses his remaining cure light wounds spells on those that are the most grievously harmed. As he works he says to the local authorities.

"I cannot speak for the others, but I myself am a refugee fleeing from the carnage of invaders such as these. However, those you faced today were mere pirates. It is likely that the Empire now knows of this world and is coming to claim it. They will come with much greater power than what you have seen today. The only choice would be between flight or surrender, if you would ask my opinion. My people chose to fight instead, and we were answered with fire and death..."
"So, it is as Thalamond Albaier told me," Eltan replies, lowering his sword. "The world is at risk. At first I thought he was talking about a magical portal like the ones in Dragonspear Castle, but as he went on and on, it began to make less sense to me. An invasions from the sky. Soldiers and infernal constructs of metal and magic that put spelljammers to shame. Entire cities laid to waste. Ours gods sundered into ruin by an unknown power. And now you tell me that these here that caused this destruction are only pirates! These brigands have done more damage to Baldur's Gate in one morning than seems even possible! And this Empire we're, no, the world is to soon face is so much stronger?"

"How do we fight these invaders without our gods," the fallen priest of Helm decries. "My power is gone, Eltan! Helm is silent and Mystra is dead!"

"The High Artificer told me that Gond is still with us," Eltan replies. "And I hope that Tempus is still with me now. I think I would have felt something had the Foehammer died."

Rodan tells the nearby authorities his tale as he tries to keep his hands from shaking and administers further to the wounded.

OOC: Casting five more Cure Light Wounds, leaving only Updraft as the remaining 1st level spell. Also trying for Diplomacy to calm those nearby. Requesting a bonus to Diplomacy since I am using more magic to heal the most wounded of Duke Eltan's men and horses. {snip}
Eltan remains on edge as Rodan talks about his world and what happened. The heroes and soldiers gather around and listen to the tale. The outlanders aren't surprised by the tale but hearing it is hard. The natives of Toril are both awestruck and horrified, as Rodan talks about the Dragon Empire and what it means for the world if they come to Toril. The death and destruction is on a worldwide scale. Forget the Time of Troubles, if the Dragon Empire tries to take the world, no part of Toril will escape its wrath. Those who resist either killed or taken into slavery. Better to be killed than to be transported off-world into a starfaring empire that controls hundreds of thousands of star systems filled with billions of souls who are loyal to a insanely powerful red dragon that is the latest ruler in a long line of dragons that have ruled the Dragon Empire for thousands of years.

Once Rodan finishes his tale, several of the Flaming Fists that had been standing have either gone to their knees to pray or are throwing up over barrels and crates. Grand Duke Eltan stands stoically in silence until Rodan is finished. He looks at his soldiers and then around the harbor and finally up towards the rest of the city of Baldur's Gate. "By Tempus," he mumbles. "What can I against such power?"

The leader of the Flaming Fists lets go of his sword inadvertently, as his gaze turns to the sky above. "What can any of us do?"

OOC: I can give you a +6 circumstance bonus on your Diplomacy check. +1 for each healing spell Rodan has cast. That gives you a modified Diplomacy check of 18. which is high enough to make Eltan indifferent towards the PCs, overall.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Buddha the DM
Soumral stands quietly keeping her eye alert for any signs of trouble with an arrow knocked on her bowstring but not drawn taut.
Soumral Shadewalker finds no obvious threats on the docks. The orc has fled, the half-ogre is dead, the last armored foe has surrendered, and all the other pirates are dead. She tries not to look at the dead soldiers in the street, or what's left of them. She soon finds herself listening to the winged man's story. He's a raptoran from another world that was invaded by an empire of dragons from the stars. They came with powerful machines and magic and laid waste to the world. They dug up the world's metals and gems and 'clear cut' the world's forests.

As Rodan describes the systematic pillaging of his world, a tear creeps from Soumral's left eye as she thinks of the Dalelands and its people. And, somehow, the Shadowthorne had known that change was coming. Had they known that the world was going to be invaded by a stellar empire with advanced constructs beyond anything that Soumral could have possibly imagined before today.

Rodan talks about the empire having hundreds of thousands of what he calls starships, which, to her, sounds very similar to advanced version of the few spelljammers she's seen that shoot massive bolts of fire and lightning. Each of these ships are filled with soldiers armed with weapons similar to the ones that the pirates used here today, and these soldiers will come in powerful metallic armor that will be nearly impervious to any sword, bow, or crossbow.

And these invaders will have magic as powerful as anything that exists on Toril. In some ways, the magic will be more powerful. Magic and artifice combined in devastating ways. And they will have massive metal machines that made the 'hoverjeep' seem like a child's toy in comparison. Each of these metal constructs will be filled with armored men and fire larger energy weapons like the one on the construct that just exploded. And there will be massive metal machines that walk like men.

After he finishes his story, she finds that her hands are shaking.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Kethrendil supposed he should be angry with the sole enemy survivor, but looking at her pathetic state replaced any hate he might have had with pity. Still, although it was obvious to him that she no longer had any fight left in her, he made sure that no weapons were left in her reach as the raptoran began his healing. While he did so, Kethrendil went around the battlefield to help the survivors pick themselves up.

Listening the cleric's story sent a chill down the elf's spine. This was worst than the Time of Troubles. They were dealing with invaders wielding technology far beyond what they could imagine, and with the willingness to burn an entire world to ashes to get what they wanted. He thought of home, blessed Evermeet. Even if some of its defenses survived the Weave's destruction, he had little doubt that these invaders could easily rain death and destruction on her beautiful forests.

Duke Eltan's lamentation brought him back to the present. Hearing the despair coming out of this strong man that he respected ignited something within him. He approached the Duke, and heard what the half-dragon said to him.

"Your Grace, the words of our friend here ring true," he said. He clenched his fists. "These foes that are coming are powerful and have many advantages, but they are mortal like you and I. They can be fought, outsmarted. And killed." He spared a glance to the remains of the pirates.

"We'll have to be careful and more cunning them, but we can fight back. We of Faerun are no strangers to surviving cataclysms. And we are not alone. It appears we have allies who know our enemy, and may have the knowledge we need to defeat them." He nodded to the half-dragon and raptoran.

"You cannot give to despair, your Grace. We need your strength. Your people need you. We need to find ways so that they will be able to survive the coming storm, and get those willing to fight ready to do so. Speaking of fighting, that orc ran off before the explosion. We should track him down before he causes more trouble."

OOC: Rolling a Diplomacy check if that can help: [1d20+9] = 11+9 = 20 (http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=95034&macid=0)

DM's Note: I seem to remember that Sil says something about being cunning and that it is something that she can get behind. I couldn't find that post either.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Not flinching as the duke spins his sword towards Shazer'as throat. "I am Lord Shazer'a, scion of House Golion. And yes, your world is at risk from the Dragon Empire. I have been trying to warn you and your city for weeks now, but none would heed me. My House was the last to rule before the Red's took power and Mezzenbone the throne. His ways of planetary aquisition are... aggresive. But you have not yet encountered the Imperial Legions, these are but a small band of pirates and opportunists. How they managed to lay their hands on imperial shock armor baffles me. One of the pirates, who betrayed the rest and detonated the hoverjeep, told me that the Centurion, an Imperial Battle Cruiser has indeed arrived. I and my wesham Nelalwe will lend what aid we can, though against the Legions, I'm not sure what we can do and my House is bound by Imperial law, they cannot openly act against the Legions. We may be able to have His Grace, Duke Kupric submit a greivance against the Imperial action as technically this world falls under the Golion domains, but that will take time, and your world may not have the luxury."

Seeing the Raptorian for the first time and noting his markings, he adds, "This outlander worshiper of the Merchant will be useful."

Thinking as Eltan and the backworlder cleric speaks of the death of gods, "If the Empire brought an Aspect of the Twelve into your system, it could potentially have laid waste to many of your deities."

"He claimed to be RES, see what you can do about healing and reviving him. He may know more of the Legion's plans. Also tend to the surviving pirates, they may know something of Lachlan's plans." Shazer'a says looking at the wounded and dying, he motions Nelalwe to the hobgoblin.

Looking back to the Grand Duke, "In truth there is little hope should Mezzenbone truly desire it, but despite their armor, the legion are but mortals and can be killed. If your magic is awry it will be difficult to stand with your level of technology, I refuse to hide the truth from you. Your world is but one, while those of the Empire are as the grains of sand on a beach. If your world has many more like those who stood here today, then you may stand some chance, slim though it may be, of survival."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Not flinching as the duke spins his sword towards Shazer'as throat. "I am Lord Shazer'a, scion of House Golion. And yes, your world is at risk from the Dragon Empire. I have been trying to warn you and your city for weeks now, but none would heed me. My House was the last to rule before the Red's took power and Mezzenbone the throne. His ways of planetary aquisition are... aggresive. But you have not yet encountered the Imperial Legions, these are but a small band of pirates and opportunists. How they managed to lay their hands on imperial shock armor baffles me. One of the pirates, who betrayed the rest and detonated the hoverjeep, told me that the Centurion, an Imperial Battle Cruiser has indeed arrived. I and my wesham Nelalwe will lend what aid we can, though against the Legions, I'm not sure what we can do and my House is bound by Imperial law, they cannot openly act against the Legions. We may be able to have His Grace, Duke Kupric submit a greivance against the Imperial action as technically this world falls under the Golion domains, but that will take time, and your world may not have the luxury."
"If you've been here all this time and have not been able to meet with me of the other Grand Dukes, it means the city's bureaucracy has failed it. Of course, it would have been unlikely that I would have believed you without some form of proof. I'm sure you came prepared. So, this Emperor of yours, this Mezzenbone is like you? A half-dragon or some other dragonblooded being? I understand that those responsible for this attack aren't as dangerous as your legions but *look at what they did!*" Eltan holds his arms out wide while looking around in frustration. "How will your Emperor Mezzenbone react to this assault on our city? If we offer peace, will he hunt down the other pirates who have escaped? And you say you and your House want to help yet you can't stand against these legions with us due to your loyalty to your empire. Where is this Duke Kupric of yours and why didn't he come himself if this so important to your empire? How am I supposed to trust anything you say at this
point?"

Seeing the Raptorian for the first time and noting his markings, he adds, "This outlander worshiper of the Merchant will be useful.
"I am thankful to him. He has saved my soldiers from deadly wounds." Duke Eltan salutes Rodan. "You, Merchant worshiper, have my thanks! Your god, is he like Waukeen?"

Thinking as Eltan and the backworlder cleric speaks of the death of gods, "If the Empire brought an Aspect of the Twelve into your system, it could potentially have laid waste to many of your deities."
"So, these Twelve aspects are your gods? And only Twelve for all the stars? That seems very unlikely. But, if it is as powerful as you say..."

"He claimed to be RES, see what you can do about healing and reviving him. He may know more of the Legion's plans. Also tend to the surviving pirates, they may know something of Lachlan's plans." Shazer'a says looking at the wounded and dying, he motions Nelalwe to the hobgoblin.
Nel nods and goes to check on the hobgoblin. Rodan has stabilized the goblin man, but he is still unconscious.

"So, your empire allows goblins to have free reign amongst the stars? That doesn't sound like a good way to run an empire. The next thing you'll be telling is that they use displacer beasts as guard dogs." Eltan looks at the hobgoblin with some disgust. "I've never met a hobgoblin that didn't try to kill me. If he knows something vital, I want to know. But if he lies or tries to flee, I will have him killed. At the very least, he will have to stand before me and other Grand Dukes and answer for this attack, as will the half-orc female." Eltan glances at the half-orc in shock armor menacingly.

"We should wake him," the female Flaming Fist says. "He can tell us where the other pirates have fled."

Looking back to the Grand Duke, "In truth there is little hope should Mezzenbone truly desire it, but despite their armor, the legion are but mortals and can be killed. If your magic is awry it will be difficult to stand with your level of technology, I refuse to hide the truth from you. Your world is but one, while those of the Empire are as the grains of sand on a beach. If your world has many more like those who stood here today, then you may stand some chance, slim though it may be, of survival."
"Our world has many who are considered heroic, but there are just as many who are dangerous opportunists. Many will be unwilling to bow this tyrant of your and will fight to the death for their freedom. I appreciate your honesty, at least. You could have come here and tried to lie your way into my good graces. As for out technology, I admit that I'm not versed in the art of artifice, but the High Artificer does know something of mixing magic with metallurgy. I'm not sure how much use he'll be to us today. His faith in Gond and the others gods of Faerun has been shaken with Mystra's death."

Remove ads