[Reposting] NEW Alien Race Competition

One of my favorite concepts in Sci-Fi is Uplift, where advanced races take sub-sapient creatures and advance them to full sapience for various reasons. So, I created a few Uplift Races for NEW. Pan Facticius (“Super Chimps”) Pan Facticius, commonly called simply “Pan” or “Super-Chimps”, are Humanity's first attempt at uplifting a species. Based largely on Chimpanzee and Bonobo DNA, they...
One of my favorite concepts in Sci-Fi is Uplift, where advanced races take sub-sapient creatures and advance them to full sapience for various reasons. So, I created a few Uplift Races for NEW.

Pan Facticius (“Super Chimps”)

Pan Facticius, commonly called simply “Pan” or “Super-Chimps”, are Humanity's first attempt at uplifting a species. Based largely on Chimpanzee and Bonobo DNA, they also incorporate aspects of other non-human primate species, such as the long arms of orangutans and prehensile tails like a spider monkey. (Incorporating a functional prehensile tail was actually significantly more difficult than increasing their intellect to human levels, what with adding New World monkey DNA into an Old World Monkey base, but humans are nothing if not obsessive in pursuing their preconceived ideals).

Pan are a very young uplift race, the oldest fully uplifted examples being a mere 50 years old. They were created as a test of human scientific skill, to “see if we could”, but though they weren't specifically intended for any one career or service area, they were designed by scientists to have qualities and skills that would serve them as a race, meaning that they tend towards manual dexterity and have a predisposition towards engineering and pure math. Additionally, due to certain, LEGALITY, issues their development and most tank breeding to create a genetic base has happened on space stations and asteroid settlements, so most Pan grow up living at least part time in zero-g.

While the upper limit of their life spans is not yet known, (the oldest being only 52) Pan are designed to have a human lifespan, and the eldest are showing aging progressing in line with that.

Size: Small

Attributes: Agi +2, Log +1, Wil +1

Skill Choices:
Brawling, Climbing, Zero-G, Mathematics, [Technical], Astrogation

Exploits
Brachiate: Pan still have opposable digits on their feet, and a prehensile tail (see next exploit), which greatly improves their climbing ability. Their climb speed is equal to their normal move speed, and they do not suffer the normal -1 to speed for being small on their climb speed.

Prehensile Tail: A Pan can hang by it's tail, or hold an object, or manipulate anything that could be manipulated with a single finger. The tail serves as an effective extra hand, but cannot perform any action that would require two or more fingers, or a finger and a thumb. They can type slowly, hit a button or flip a switch, or hold something, but firing a gun, holding a melee weapon in a manner necessary to attack with it, or even using a pen to write are out. (Such actions may be allowed with a further special exploit, but not by default).

Young Race:
As a very young uplift race, Pan suffer a social status not unlike small children. While individuals will respect them once they get to know them, in general Pan are underestimated and their opinions and advice not given serious consideration. Any check that relies on being respected or listened to suffers a -1d6 penalty, however any check that relies on being ignored (socially) or underestimated gains a +1d6.

btccg

First Post
OK, here goes. All eight entries were great! Here's my review of each!

@btccg - lots of description! A feline race like the Felans, the Prydes are a solid way to describe subraces. The inclusion of magic might be confusing for those with just the
NEW core rulebook, though that's by no means a deal-breaker. It does mean for some setting assumptions, though. Maybe making those psionic for standard sci-fi settings, and magic for those with magic? Technomages are, of course, a great sci-fantasy trope, and there's always room for them! Some formatting issues, but the best so far in that regard.

Yeah, I was originally thinking of using PSI as you suggested, but the biggest thing I wanted to accomplish by using MAG Attribute was keep the 'techno-magic' feeling and provide access to archaic careers as a cross-over tool between games. I couldn't really figure out how to do the feel of true magic using the PSI Attribute...meh.

Thanks for the feedback!

SamWolfeIVI

Villager
Congratulations M3woods on winning. Thanks Morrus for a fun contest. I would be really interested to see how you use what I've created and make it into something viable. If you ever do get around to making something useful out of the Onyxian (Mercurians), I would love to see it posted here. Thanks again, and have fun playing the game.

The "Wolfe"

Remove ads

Remove ads