STK - Runes into a set of Claws/Brass Knuckles

RulesJD

First Post
So thanks to HotDQ, we know that "claws" are a weapon type, albeit not one specified in the PHB. This is because there is a set of magical claws that add +1 to unarmed strikes.

My question is, because certain Rune items from SKT can be imbued into weapons, could a player imbue the Rune into a set of metal claws, thus gaining the Rune benefit to each of their unarmed strikes, rather than just on their first two (such as putting the effect on a Quarterstaff or something) attacks from Extra Attack?

kalani

First Post
Unfortunately no. Firstly, I don't know what metal claws you are talking about. There is an insignia of claws in HotDQ - but that is a magical badge that adds +1 to your unarmed strikes & natural weapon attacks. It isn't a weapon however but a wondrous item. As an RC, and as someone who DM'd HotDQ, I can honestly say that I have never encountered any unique weapon types in that adventure (although there are a handful of unique magic items which lack a magic item rarity, such as a spear that casts daylight).

Even if tiger claws (or something similar) was a weapon type, unless the weapon is found in an "allowed rules source" for your character, you would not be able to use it. For example - the monster hunter pack is not an item that characters can purchase outside of the CoS hardcover adventure.

In CoS, there is a musket. However, as stated by the admins - since the musket (and other firearms) are only listed in the DMG & CoS (and since the DMG/CoS is not a player-resource), DMs who roll a +1 weapon on a magic item table could not choose to give the players a +1 musket. They would have to choose a weapon type from a legal player resource (in this case, only an option from the PHB).

The same holds true for other magic items such as the runes. If the PC chooses what item to imbue with a magic rune, they would need to choose an item they have previously purchased/gained from the PHB, or an item they gained while playing an adventure (such as the aforementioned musket). If OTOH, the DM chooses an item to add the rune to (similar to how a DM chooses the weapon type for a +1 weapon), the DM could only choose weapons from the PHB.

RulesJD

First Post
Doh, completely forgot it was an insignia. I always pictured it as actual claws that would go over the hand. Oh well, thanks for the response.

Although that does mean you can now, in theory, get a runic imbued magical gun in AL...steampunk here we come.

kalani

First Post
Theoretically yes, in practice unlikely since I am fairly certain that the runes lack item rarity (and therefore cannot be traded), while the musket itself is a mundane item and likewise untradable.

RulesJD

First Post
Theoretically yes, in practice unlikely since I am fairly certain that the runes lack item rarity (and therefore cannot be traded), while the musket itself is a mundane item and likewise untradable.

1. Take my Wizard that got it from Barovia and used the Barexit.

2. Use in SKT. Find Rune. Poof, magic musket.

Truthfully I've never seen anyone else use the Musket though, so probably never going to happen.

Just really wish there was a way/magic item to improve Monk's Unarmed Strikes besides 1 particular item in HotDQ.

Remove ads