D&D 5E 5E A Bard's Tale [Recruiting]

tglassy

Adventurer
I knew that too, it specifically states it in the book, but the variant teifling doesn't say. I suppose that would be a DM ruling.

tglassy

Adventurer
That would be fair. And since I'm gonna have 20 strength, it'll work perfectly. That's if I choose a tiefling. I'd want a variant from the Sword Coast, where he has smaller horns, cat eyes, six fingers on each hand and otherwise looks like a human. The six fingers are useful when playing his viol.

Would the Noble background work? Would there be a Tiefling Noble in this campaign setting? I felt that the Feature, Position of Privilege, would help a group like this from time to time, if they needed an audience with a noble at some point. Could help improve their living conditions when they want to play in a city.

Trogdor1992

First Post
Tiefling Noble is fine for this campaign, you'd be from one of the southern cities then(Where monstrous things are more accepted)

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

tglassy

Adventurer
Wonderful. I'm still on the fence between flying teifling and a half elf, though, so I'll get back to you when I pick. I am leaning teifling at this point, though. We'll see.

tglassy

Adventurer
Ok, so here's my thought. I'm feeling that half elf is where it should really be. It just fits his personality more. However, i do like the thought of being able to fly.

In the Sword Coast Guide, it offers for the Teifling to replace Infernal Legacy, which is a cantrip and two once a day spells, with a flight speed of 30. It also offers to let a half elf take on the traits of his elven parent instead of having two extra skill proficiencies, one of those optional traits being drow magic, which is a cantrip and two once a day spells.

So...could we possibly create a half Avariel race? A half elf, but instead of one of the elven trait options, he gets bird wings with a fly speed of 30? We could even have him have vulnerability to bludgeoning damage when he's not wearing his heavy armor, since his bones are hollow. That could be why he wears heavy armor, to protect against something like that. The armor would have to be specially made for him, of course, but that's easy since we're starting so high.

So, I know this is a long shot, but is that an option? One of the variants in the SCAG is an aqua elf, which grants a swim speed of 30. I know it's not exactly the same as flying, but pretty much every one of us could grab Flight as a spell, since we're Bards and we can grab any spell we want. I really don't think it would hurt the game at all, especially since I could just go Teifling and be almost the exact same thing, only with bat wings instead of bird wings. And I like bird wings better, anyway. And I do have a strength of 20.

It's fine if the answer is no. Either way, I'll be going Half-Elf. I just thought I'd try something a little different.

BTW, thinking about this campaign has peaked my interest, so I won't be able to rest until I've nailed down this character, even if we don't start for a while.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Deal! Then here's his backstory:

Gavin is the half elf son of a noble. We can work out who his father is, you know your world better than I do. It was rather a scandal when his father rescued the Avariel maiden, fell in love with her and married her instead of one of the other human noblewomen he was expected to. But he chose to marry out of love, and he always did have a romantic side to him. He loved her free spirit, and she was captivated by his charm.

Their son was born with the wings of his mother's people, only instead of white, like his mother, they were brown, like his hair, inherited from his father. However, he took after his human side in his size and weight, which posed a problem with his ability to fly. His bones were not as hollow as they should have been to be able to fly, and while most Avariel can fly before they can walk, he could barely glide for most of his life.

As he grew up, most people politely ignored his brown wings, at least to his face. Away from him, however, he was regularly the talk of the town. Some looked down on him, others tried to suck up to him, but all treated him differently.

Gavin hated their attention. He studied and learned what his father wanted him to, but he had his mother's free spirit. He wanted adventure. He began reading stories at a young, young age, and would sneak out to the local taverns to watch the passing minstrels and bards as they entertained those people who were to one day be his subjects. He would meet them whenever he could, learning what stories they had heard, and even how to play a few instruments.

At the age of 12, his mother died. She had been healthy, but over the course of a few weeks, her health deteriorated rapidly, until she couldn't even rise from her bed. She was gone soon after. To this day, nobody knows why she faded. His father was pressured to remarry, this time to a noble woman who was more acceptable. It was a marriage of convenience, Gavin knew, but he still felt betrayed. The woman quickly conceived and bore a child.

Needless to say, Gavin was devastated. His mother was the only other person around like him. She had never seen him fly, though she had tried to teach him from the age of two.

At this point, Gavin started training. Hard. He made himself stronger, working his wings constantly, until they burned with the effort. He would glide with heavier and heavier weights, practicing day in and day out. It took four years of constant training, but he could fly. He would never be as graceful as she had been, but the people in town would often look up and see the young nobleman soaring overhead on warm days. This constant training built his core body strength to unbelievable levels, and as he grew into manhood, his strength grew with him.

During this time, he also studied with the minstrels in town, learning to appreciate the beauty of music and life. As he got older, he got his father's personal bodyguard to teach him swordplay, using the great sword to maximize his newfound strength. He trained until he was able to fly reliably in full heavy armor and gear, and had special armors made to accommodate him as he grew larger.

Technically, Gavin was the heir, even though his father now had other children with his stepmother. But Gavin didn't want the title. He wanted adventure. He wanted to go out and see the world. So one day, he packed a bag, put on his armor, and left, flying so there would be no one to track him. He didn't even say goodbye.

Over the years, Gavin has traveled from city to city, honing his bardic skills. Many people want to come see the half-Avariel Bard play his Viol or his Flute, as it was a beautiful sound to hear. But he began to chafe at only telling stories of others and their grand adventures. He wanted to tell of his own adventures. He wanted songs of his exploits to be sung by bards across the ages.

Outwardly, Gavin is charismatic and suave. He keeps his armor immaculately clean, and has a grin that aggravates most of the populous, because it gives them the impression that he knows something they don't. While he did leave his father's house, he is not above using his father's name to obtain better accommodations, and keeps his scroll of pedigree with him at all times. No doubt his father knows where he is at any given time, but he has not heard from him in some years.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases