Branding Advice

paul1

First Post
I've mentioned in another thread I am getting ready to upload my first adventure for DM's Guild, but I am seeking advice on branding. For marketing should I go ahead and come up with a brand name, website, facebook? Is it too early for that? Any advice from your experience in doing so?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Be careful about branding you include in/on your product and ensure you have read the DMsG agreement and understand the IP situation.

paul1

First Post
If I want to plan on future projects and say create a brand--as an example let's say Yeti Games. Can I legally just create the brand? Does one need to register as a business? Can I just label products as a Yeti Games product before going through certain procedures?

If I want to plan on future projects and say create a brand--as an example let's say Yeti Games. Can I legally just create the brand? Does one need to register as a business? Can I just label products as a Yeti Games product before going through certain procedures?
There are a couple of way to legally define and protect a company/entity, but you can't register or claim a "brand". What you have to do it either trademark or copyright a name, phrase or image. This is what is commonly referred to as a brand.

You should Google the terms you're interested in to get information specific for your location.

Where I live, there are difference in the legal protections offered if I copyright vs register a copyright, but little difference between trademarking and registering a trademark. (Registering is simply applying for and listing a copyright or trademark through a recognized government agency your term.)

paul1

First Post
Thanks LordEntrails,

After researching online I think I am too new to trademark yet. I claimed a Facebook page with my potential brand name. I will most likely be reserving the domain name soon as well.

The biggest thing you have to do to keep your brand (copyright or trademark) is you have to defend it. Meaning periodically (at least every few years, I think) you have to perform a search to make sure no one else is using it or trying to, and then send them a cease and desist letter.

paul1

First Post
The biggest thing you have to do to keep your brand (copyright or trademark) is you have to defend it. Meaning periodically (at least every few years, I think) you have to perform a search to make sure no one else is using it or trying to, and then send them a cease and desist letter.

I am glad you pointed me in the right direction. Now that the adventure is released I will have time to strategize this. I learned that owning the domain name does not protect the name. If someone trademarked the example "Yeti Games" I would probably lose rights to the domain name yeti games.com So I will need to get it setup sooner than expected. Again I am small potatoes, but I really want this brand name it's cool :).

Again, thanks for the help.

Remove ads