Early discovery of planar bindings: consequences?

eamon

Explorer
I'm running a zeitgeist campaign, and due to the backstory of one of the players, it's attractive to reveal some details about the purpose or function of the ancient planar seals - probably in adventure 6, while in Ber.

Does anyone know when the PCs typically discover the purpose of the seals (and ziggurats and axis seal)? What could go wrong if they learn about it a little earlier?

It is critical to avoid a TPK that you do not let the PCs know that the Ob are planning anything big on Axis Island. They should just think it was a Danoran base with some research purposes. PCs will be stupid and charge the castle, and unless you want the campaign to end early, you really shouldn't let them get in and defeat all of the Ob's defenses.

Normally, in adventure 3 the party learns that there are these old seals that somehow link this world to others, but there's no hint of the axis seal. In adventure 4 they learn the Ob have designed a lantern that makes transitions between planes easier. Adventure 5 reveals the colossus, though its purpose is a mystery. Adventure 7 has the Ob reveal their goal - to link to different worlds than the current ones and thus change the fabric of reality - but they specifically don't mention the Axis Seal in order to avoid spies finding out. Adventure 8 has a misdirect to make the party think Flint is the focus of the Ob's ritual; it's only one component, not the main one.

Only at the end of Adventure 9 do the PCs learn that the Axis Seal exists.

But as early as adventure 3 the party can get an inkling that the world use to be getting messed up by extraplanar invaders, and the seals helped limit who could come or go.

eamon

Explorer
Well, they have some hint that axis island isn't just a research base in the form of the broken tree they witness early on, and the fact that flight magic ceased suddenly. They've definitely picked up on the latter, but not quite on the former, fortunately!

So I should be OK dropping hints in adventures 4-6 that the planes have been linked to the material plane by ancient magic, and that avilona's link is damaged or decaying. I've just got to think of some suitably obscure way to work that in. That way, adventure 7's big reveal - that the ob thinks it can link to *different* worlds is still somewhat novel, and indeed the implication that this may affect the material plane dramatically might not be entirely clear before then. And it doesn't even hint at axis island.

I think I might let Ashima-Shimtu mention that knowledge comes at a price, as Furioso learned. But sometimes it comes unbidden, as his servant learned. Her price, of course, will be really quite reasonable :). And we'll see if that leads them to Willigu, who may just know why his forefathers master lost his flight. No need to mention the axis seal; and the PC (who's obsessed with flight and Gale) get's to learn something without significantly derailing the campaign.

eamon

Explorer
The avilona-obsessed PC in question is a (5e) warlock with a slightly wonky fey pact and a violent streak. So I thought I'd offer something that suggests the possibility of a new (fiendish) patron, along with, of course, knowledge of Avilona's fate.

Perhaps this pact-bound realizes what a debt he already owes to Ashima-Shimtu. Be she can do more for him now - much more. He peers to the stars and muses on their paths, but is left wondering. But she knows; for her fate is an allegory for Avilona's - and with Ashima-Shimtu's knowledge, he will learn of Avilona's fate. With her blessing, he might become more. With Ashima-Shimtu's power at his side, he need not rely as much on his own limited strength and fallible mortal insight. She asks only for some small, discreet service in the outside world. Will he accept her offer, or will he languish in mortal mediocrity? He need only acquiesce, and their bargain will be sealed. Refuse, and she will not offer again...

Obviously, this was inspired by gideonpeppys's excellent recaps with devil's bargains. I hope he takes the offer ;-)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases