W.O.I.N "Strain"

capmarvel

First Post
One thing the new-ish RPG Polyhedral Dungeon adds that I hadn't seen before (at least not upfront like this), is the concept of "strain". Meaning a game mechanic to show that over time things should get harder as your body or mind or soul wears down. For example, the 4th time you cast a Fireball Spell should be harder than the first time as your body is ...well, your body is "strained" for lack of a better term.

Forgive me if W.O.I.N has this already (I only have Fantasy Careers so far - waiting for N.E.W. to be released to us civilians)- but curious if a mechanic like this might be doable without being overly complex.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You mean if you perform the same action multiple times? Depends how harsh you want it to be, but a super-easy version would be to apply -1d6 to the attribute check for every repetition beyond the first.

capmarvel

First Post
I believe the idea is more say you hike 3 hours, then have to climb a mountain, then fight some orcs, then 10 minutes later have to fight some bandits - you're not going to be as "fresh" as you were 4 hours ago. That battle axe is going to be a bit heavier. You're going to be a tad slower. Your mind isn't as sharp. You've pushed yourself to the limit and beyond. So, mechanically there should be some minuses to reflect that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, I see.

Well, the wilderness travel rules have a "Fortune" mechanic which can result in the party being tired or exhausted.

Otherwise, there's fatigue status track (along with a dozen other status tracks) which PCs can move down. There isn't a rule which makes it happen automatically though - you'd have to write a rule to say when it applied.

Remove ads