D&D 5E To The Strongest: A Mercenary Story

Thateous

Explorer
"A grand idea mam. I may have a better one," Mercutio says rubbing his chin. "We received many contracts, General Patroklos' request being among them, and could use that to enter the fort under false pretenses. A sort of trojan horse if you will." He looks at Thalassa, "What do you think mam?"

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jago

Explorer
mon_256.png

Thalassa raised an eyebrow, smiling gently at Mercutio.

" You actually admit that Patroklos approached the Wolves as well? You're possibly the most honest mercenary I've ever met: very honorable, to suggest such a deceptive tactic," she chuckled.

" It is not a bad idea, though I doubt Patroklos's men would allow you to bring many within their walls. We've also reports that they may have a supply camp nearby, and several watchposts, so do be careful lest the siegers become besieged themselves, yes?"

Thalassa snapped her fingers and called over her shoulder. Captain Basileios was obediently there within seconds.

" I believe that should settle matters for now. My Captain will return with you to your camp to help coordinate. When you are ready to make your move, send him back so that I can begin advancing to support you. With the aid of the Gods, we shall see Patroklos in chains before the end of the month."

The General gently placed a curled fist over her chest in a simple salute: an acknowledgement of The Iron Wolves' support.

" Fight with the courage of your Gods, Wolves, and may you prove as fierce against our enemy as you did against us." ~

Trogdor1992

First Post
Artemis sighs at Mercutio's open-ness, but says nothing on the matter. After the talking is done between the two he says "Worry not, we'll have little issue with the fort, our men are capable and quite ready for battle. The Wolf is always prepared for the hunt" with a sly grin.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Thateous

Explorer
"I have no love for someone who would burn a forest down because they don't get what they want. We will make haste and begin strategic planning immediately." Mercutio returns her salute and takes his leave.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

River Song

Explorer
Removing his helm and giving his head a scratch, Theoparlis joins the old druid on the floor. The shrine had a soothing feel to it but it certainly didn't make things any easier.

"Thank you Taraneos, we consider the council more than just clients," he lock eyes with the councillor. "However, I have decided that we will not be renewing our contract. We are taking an offer from Queen Pantea for the next season. Whilst your offer was solid and my wolves have a great affection for your people; my men also need to be paid what they are worth. The wolves will try and aid you within our new chain of command as much as we can."

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha ranged out, riding atop a great shaggy beast of a wolf. Despite her admonitions that they'd be 'dragging' the others, they didn't bother to try to stay overly close to the other scouts. Rather, they looped around in a wide arc, then came back to compare notes, then ran out again.

Aridha Scouts! Survival: [roll0] or [roll1] with advantage from wolf, who is Aiding. Perception: [roll2]

Wolf perception (using Smell for advantage): [roll3] or [roll4]

Shayuri

First Post
Meanwhile, the men under Aridha's command fanned out in her wake, checking the nooks and crannies she missed, to make sure nothing stayed obscured...

Survival [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Jago

Explorer
Arvernix.png

The old Druid lowered his head gently, nodding along with Theo's words as if he were expecting them before any sound had passed from the soldier's mouth.

" I see. And I understand."

He stayed silent for a moment afterwards, letting the statement hang in the air between the two leaders. With struggle, Taraneos drew in a deep breath, coughing on the pine-scented air but continuing on once the fit had subsided.

" You have been good to the Avernix. I am pleased to hear that we have not lost your friendship. We of The Oak understand that even the mighty wolf must feed where the deer are plentiful, and that our hunting grounds are scarce as of late."

The Dwarf gripped his staff tightly, leaning forward to place a hand wrinkled and spotted with age on Theoparlis's shoulder. He smiled warmly, in camaraderie.

" I know you will do what is best for you, and we will do what is best for our people. Go with the blessings of the Great Oak, and know that there is no bad blood between us, come what may."

Leaning back again, Taraneos made to stand, his walking stick becoming his support to do so.

" You were very honorable to bring this news to us directly. I shall remember this when I bring the word to the Council. But a word of warning, my friend."

He looked up, making sure to catch Theo's eyes with his own. He held them tight, as if some weave of magic bound them together and forced their gaze to remain rigid.

" Queen Pantea has approached us before for our lands. I am sure she will do so again once the Wolves have driven away her great enemy from the West. The Avernix will not accept this foreign master, no matter what she may have up her sleeve. Our lands are ours, and I will not let my people become entangled in this web of lies, fire, and war that the human kingdoms have resolved themselves to. The Oak is Mother to us, not these Haere."

Taraneos looks down and the moment passes. The air itself seems to relax in the room, and the kindly Dwarf motions for the door.

" But I am sure the right decisions will be made by all," he stated quite cheerfully, hobbling his way outside and bidding Theo a safe journey. He does add, however, that the soldier and his companions are, of course, more than welcome in Halveroth should any need arise. ~

River Song

Explorer
A shiver passes through Theoparlis' body as the dwarf releases his gaze.

"Thank you for understanding," he offers a tight smile. "If the people of Avernix wish it, we will always consider any offer from them in the future."

He hoped the druid understood as he rose to offer the old dwarf a bow. Gathering his men, he prepared for the ride back to camp.

Remove ads