D&D 5E To The Strongest: A Mercenary Story

"We can't hold the towers until the other troops are eliminated. However we can't start hunting the patrols in earnest until the towers are taken. The towers have good veiws of the forest and will sound the alarm if we engage to many patrols." Feyson indicates the map. "The patrols range throughout the area around the fort. Which would make isolating them fairly simple. If we can take one patrol quickly and quietly we could infiltrate one tower at a time. Kill the guards then hunt the patrols. We don't need to hold the towers just eliminate the men manning them so we can move freely through the forest."

Feyson shakes his head at Theo's suggestion of using the cavalry to bait the towers.

"Their cavalry is in the fort. The towers are manned by archers. They won't give chase. They'll just sound the alarm and then we have a siege on our hands. I think our best option is to take the towers then pick off the patrols as Theo suggests. What do the rest of you think?"

Thateous

Explorer
"Let's not forget that if we're spotted and they decide to turtle in their little fort, we have no answer. Those seige weapons will be our only way in."

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Trogdor1992

First Post
"Yes, why not send some horsemen to draw some of them forward, slaughter them, and repeat?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Thateous

Explorer
"Well let's think worst case. We bait them once and then they clam up and it just got harder. I'd rather slaughter as many of the patrol units as possible. I doubt they'd send more than two before wising up. Could we get in from the river that flows into the fort. Perhaps just us here? I'm just brainstorming here so feel free to throw in your thoughts."

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Shayuri

First Post
"Aye, some of us might be able to get in through the river," Aridha offers sourly. "If we ken cut through whatever grate they've got down there. But then it'd be a handful of us among their fifty. With magic we'd maybe get away with it. Could open the gate from in there."

Trogdor1992

First Post
"That's not a bad plan Mercy, long as I'm on the team that busts into the fortress I say we go for it." Artemis says with a wink.

Trogdor1992

First Post
OOC: And on that fateful day Artemis began to nickname his companions, beginning with Mercutio.

River Song

Explorer
Theoparlis hides a smile, "We still have to bear in mind he has at least 150 men in the area so we are outnumbered. We need to agree on our first step.

I think another scouting run to see how far out the patrols go and if it is possible to divert or stop the water flow into the main fort. If at all possible I would like the scouts to fire off some arrows at one of the watch towers to see how they react. At the moment our opponent has all the advantages."

Looking around at the others, "We need to take our all four ballista, how many men man those?"

Jago

Explorer
One of the scouts that had went along offers up the needed information.

" There appears to be about ten troops assigned to each tower, split between actually manning it and patrolling around it, though not in a wide area. Mostly archers, save for the siege towers: they are mostly dedicated to using the Ballistae, with a few carrying blades and shields to protect the towers should any try to storm them. Overwhelming force could overcome them quickly, save for where they are supported: many are so close together that we would need to be able to strike them all simultaneously or in rapid succession to avoid the raising of an alarm."

Remove ads