Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

Arvana lowers her arms, assuming a more relaxed posture. She moves around slowly, repositioning herself accordingly to the shaman’s movements, but keeps her eyes on Reynard.

"We were forced to flee from an attack above, some flying, hideous creature. Down here was the only avenue of escape."

She remains silent as the sailor tells the group’s story. “Fateful. You have a few paths from here on, but none too smooth, as far as I know. Unless, of course, you consider going back up.” – she replies, using the soft, unconcerned tone of an experienced traveler. She points to the dagger, a mocking laugh suffocated in her throat. “Yes, that’s it. There’s the cause of your troubles. Certainly, everyone is after this thing. You are an unlucky lot, you know that?”

“The maiden issss right, gunman… Thissss issss the cause for your troublessss. If you handle it to ussss, we might be able to….” – the shaman never gets to finish the phrase.

“Of course you might. Now shut up! – the velvet voice once more silences the creature, never raising its tone. “If I am right, this piece was kept in an altar, sunk underneath Maran’s bay, for a long time. It was considered useless. Up until now. For some reason, your dwarven friends decided to take it.” – she looks at Morgrym for a moment. “You wouldn’t know about it, would you? You look more like a mountaineer.” – she moves her eyes between the sailor and the dwarf.

“Be as it may, I can’t complain. Your friends drove their attention from me for a while. Ichtians may not have forged it, but they kept it last. Enough for them to want it back.”

“Ssseeeee?” – the shaman attempts again, but falls silent with one glance of the maiden.

“Still” – she starts over, a mocking tone in her voice – “better it stays far from them. Nothing good can come from these beasts.”

" Although it seems you wanted something badly enough to associate with Ichtians in the first place. What exactly did they give you ..?"

Arvana does not seem bothered by the question.

“True enough. I needed information. Things that only the Lady knows.” – she rolls her eyes towards the shaman and his guards.“She has a way with past events. Knows them all. The details I can share later if you want… in private. – there is a strong, dubious note to the very last words as she looks directly at Reynard.

REYNARD

Both names sound familiar to the sailor, appearing throughout coastal chapels, taverns and decks around the south seas. The Lady is described in old tales and legends. For some, she is a saint, a restless spirit that blesses sailors and helps them return home when they get lost in the open sea. For others, she is the mother of all mermaids, seducing careless men and taking them to the deep, where their souls are enslaved for eternity. So far, Reynard believed it only to be a myth, a story told in windless nights.

The word “seamaiden” has a more subtle presence. In fact, he heard nothing legendary about it, except that there was, not long ago, a skilled female swimmer, pulling moves around Heartless Coven with a group of pirates, going by such name. She was said to never show her face… So far, it might as well be Arvana.

As for Arvana’s intentions, they seem unnaturally obscured by her garment. Nonetheless, her body language is enough to denounce her concerns. She feigns indifference, but in fact remains very attentive to her surroundings, not entirely sure of the trio’s intentions. Nonetheless, something in her manners betrays satisfaction, almost as if she saw in the adventurers a fortunate finding. She seems driven to ensure an alliance, without letting need of it transpire. It makes sense, though: if she holds info she does not wish disclosed to the ichtians, her position is not the most comfortable. That suggests some truth about her perception of ways to leave the ruins they now occupy. The bow, the lightness of the armor, the cloak and the covered face, the quick gestures and easy intimidation, everything points out to her being schooled in …. Alternative… ways of survival. Odds are she can’t leave this place on her own, lacking the martial prowess needed.

It seems like a good moment to rip out information from her.

MORGRYM

Arvana is clearly a thief. She knows her way around the coast, and certainly has engaged in piracy from time to time. It’s only natural. She’s also cornered. Provided there are as many ichtians as she makes believe, she has no choice but to find allies to lead her out of the cave. It might be that she has interest in the coveted dagger, as well. She knew about it. No doubt heard of it down below, between the ichtians, maybe from the so-called Lady herself. She might have found her pot of gold in the adventurers, and it would be no surprise if she tried to guide them out only to attempt theft against them, later on. For now, she is reliable. On the long run, she is a real liability. Morgrym also notices her manners towards Reynard. She can read them, alright. She might even have used the word “seamaiden” on account of Reynard’s outfit and manners, undoubtedly those of a seaman. All things considered, she might try to use the sailor, if she found that he had a soft spot for her. Nonetheless, she contents herself in being dubious and vague, for now. Morgrym specially notices she has not given much attention to the dagger, even though she left clear she knew they carried something the ichtians wanted. Time might tell more about her. For now, she speaks the truth, despite being stingy with details.

MARIUS

Slowly, the monk vanishes from everyone’s attention. As he wanders around, he tries to uncover the nature of the statues that fill the room. He realizes they are faithful portraits of human beings. All of them have been sculpted with a richness of movement and detail. This is especially pronounced in their faces. Each statue holds a unique posture, a unique set of gestures and a unique expression, representing in very clear ways a single sentiment in its full intensity.

As for how they’ve been made, the statues were clearly sculpted from clear marble. The decoration of the stone tunics, as well as the eyes, are made with encrusted precious stones pf great variety. Oddly enough, no tomb robber had a mind to pull the stones out. It makes sense, though. There’s something deeply disturbing about the statues. One in particular, a wrathful man, has two blood-red rubies for eyes. The face is so grotesquely real that no one in their senses would dare desecrate the thing.

The monk considers this strange feeling for a moment, and soon he realizes the true cause of it. Even though the marble should have suffered, breaking and turning to plaster under the acidic wetness of the halls, the statues seem as new as if they’d been made a day ago. Also, they do not seem to be dedicated to gods, even though they have seen some kind of worship at some point of their existences. Remnants of fire and perfume, among other things, can be found here and there.

Most of the pieces seem to be solid, holding no loose contraptions of any kind. What calls for attention, though, are the two massive statues that flank the bridge. They come from columns that go deep into the void below, never touching wall or pavement. There, the monk is sure, some secret lies. The columns are rich in inscriptions and patterns crafted in loose plaques. As he reaches for it, he feels one of them might be pushed inside the column, provided some effort was made.

[Oook, there it is! Sorry for the delay, but... the size, you know! If something came out confusing, please, warn me!]

MAP LINK

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2051010950

@Trogdor1992 @Neurotic @KahlessNestor @Jago

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
Sure! Also, an additional information: the statues do not seem to be a single piece with their pedestals, almost as if they had been placed upon them after they had been positioned within the hall.

Jago

Explorer
" You're saying you actually spoke to The Lady?" Reynard asked, a bit incredulous at such an implication.

He knew the two sides to the spirit, and was left wondering which Arvana may have been: the helpful lighthouse, or the cunning Siren?

" I've sailed from one side of these islands to the other, I've seen a lot of strange things, Arvana, but even I have never found anything to suggest The Lady was more than just the subject of ghost stories and shanties."

Still. It was a large sea. Just because he had not seen it did not mean that it didn't exist.

" And if my kind call you 'Seamaiden', I have to wonder what you mean by 'my kind'. Last I heard, the Seamaiden was a corsair out of the Heartless, said to cut through waves as if she were one of the merfolk. Is that you?"

There were a lot of implications there. She used the term even though he may have been familiar with it. Did she think he a pirate as well? Smuggler and privateer, maybe, but pirate certainly not.

At her last offer, insinuating far more than even Reynard would have expected, the gunslinger mulled it over for a moment. Certain things didn't add up, but he definitely did not want to remain down here, and Arvana seemed to know (or implied that she knew) more of what the group was dealing with. If she truly had spoken with The Lady, that was something Reynard couldn't pass up. She may have been a pirate intending on suckering him out of the dagger and everything else, but she may also have had a role to play in all this. 'Fateful', she had said. Well, even the Gnomes who had trained him believed in Destiny, after all.

Again, the thought crossed his mind.

Lighthouse or Siren?

Regardless, they would do better working together than they would apart. Not to mention, the rogue in Reynard was curious about a great many things concerning the Seamaiden.

With care, he returned the dagger to his back and then holstered his pistol. He turned to the Shaman, pointing towards the darkness.

" Flee, Ichtian. Tell your people not to pursue this any longer: the dagger is under our care and you have seen what we are capable of."

Threat delivered, he faced Arvana again, striding up to her and offering an open palm.

" I'm sure a private conversation could prove very enlightening, Seamaiden Arvana, he agreed, giving the lass a wink, " So let's all get out of these ruins and go have that talk, yeah?"

Pirate or Not, she may know something about the Tideruler. And if she has spoken to The Lady, she may know a bit more about my problem back home...

Doesn't hurt that she's easy on the eyes either.

[sblock=Reynard's Stats]
Character Sheet

HP: 25/25
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +6
Perception: +9

AC: 18 Flat: 13 Touch: 18
Fort: 7 Reflex: 10 Will: 7

In Hand: Nothing

Pistol (Mwk): +7, 1d8/x4
Chakrams: +6, 1d8/x2
- Flurry of Throws: +4/+4
Unarmed Strike: +6, 1d6

Paper Cartridges: 66/70
Entangling Shot: 5/5
Flare Cartridges: 5/5

Grit: 3/3
Deeds:
Gunslinger's Dodge
Quick Clear
Up Close And Deadly

[sblock=Adventure Notes]
Game Info: We have a dagger and apparently lizards want it. But they can't have it.

Arvana may want the dagger and is possibly a pirate. Not sure if Reynard cares too much about the latter.
[/sblock][/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Marius moves behind the girl, gliding as a shadow in bright light of uncovered sunrod. He almost subconciously approaches from the blind side, but the bright light is too revealing for unseen approach.

"I may have alternative exit. And we shouldn't dally here, we know the enemies saw where we went and were bashing the wall even as we fled. If you want, I can check that great gate...or we could use secret tunnel I found. It leads us deeper underground and may land us in more trouble. But it is both secret and unexpected."

OOC: he tries to approach without anyone seeing him and causing the woman to jump (if his companions jump too, a bonus :) )

Stealth: 1D20+8 = [4]+8 = 12 - yeah, right! :)

Another question for DM: now that we have some time, are the statues showing some preference in orientation? Either that they are all facing same way or that they focus on one (or more) particular area(s)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Maran/Helen’s Fortune/Cellars
Night
Round 0

“If I am right, this piece was kept in an altar, sunk underneath Maran’s bay, for a long time. It was considered useless. Up until now. For some reason, your dwarven friends decided to take it.” Arvana looked at Morgrym for a moment. “You wouldn’t know about it, would you? You look more like a mountaineer.” She moved her eyes between the sailor and the dwarf.

Morgrym shrugged. “Dunnae ken a thing,” he grunted. “We were told t’ take it, an’ then th’evil beastie attacked. Figger ‘tis better somethin’ like tha’ doesnae get it’s claws on’t.” He eyed the woman warily right back. “No’ sure I trust ye near it, either,” he said pointedly.

As Marius speaks up from behind the woman, Morgrym finishes cleaning his axe. “Gate ‘r tunnel?’ he asked the others. “D’we ken wot’s on th’other side o’ the gate? We dae ‘ave three potions o’ gaseous form,” he informed the others.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)(Barkskin: +2)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 30m, Fog Cloud 30m

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)
[/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

" I've sailed from one side of these islands to the other, I've seen a lot of strange things, Arvana, but even I have never found anything to suggest The Lady was more than just the subject of ghost stories and shanties."

“Well, you found now…” – she retorts smoothly, jesting with the idea. She looks the sailor top to bottom, and a smile seems to rise from under her lone eye. “ ’You a betting man? Maybe we can do some spelunking and you’ll get to see her as I did...” – insinuations of a challenge come from beneath her cloth mask. “Think about it…”

“As for who I might be… Well…. That’s a topic for discussion. I have walked the Heartless, but then again I’ve been many places… Nevertheless, we have our distinctions, your people and I. Let’s just say I have a talent to dwell underneath the waves” – she says in a straightforward tone. The shaman mumbles and laughs lowly, being cut by Reynard’s command.

" Flee, Ichtian. Tell your people not to pursue this any longer: the dagger is under our care and you have seen what we are capable of."

“You’ll regret thisss, sssailor….” – the shaman responds as he and his henchmen retreat with calculated steps. “Ssshe will bretray you, and we’ll be watching, waiting to have onccce more what is oursssss….” – the three surviving ichtians hurry themselves towards the shadows, soon to disappear between two crevices on the wall, their steps echoing further as time passes. Va’Arahkir seems concerned, hissing lowly towards the shadows as he gathers bone knifes and smaller belongings from the corpses.

Arvana simply nods in approval. “If you so choose, I can lead you down. I know the ways they use to come up – at least, a few of them. No need to worry” – she looks towards the kobold, as if to relieve him of his concerns. The creature softens it’s visage, staring at the woman for a second before resuming his pillaging activities.

" I'm sure a private conversation could prove very enlightening, Seamaiden Arvana, he agreed, giving the lass a wink, " So let's all get out of these ruins and go have that talk, yeah?"

In response to Reynard’s gestures, Arvana steps forward, shaking hands in a delicate and prolonged gesture. She seems to stare into the sailor’s eyes for a second as she holds on to his hand, but she quickly lets go and turns over her shoulder as the monk suddenly jumps out of the shadows. She tries to compose herself back again, but it becomes all too clear that she’s been startled by his sudden approach.

"I may have alternative exit. And we shouldn't dally here, we know the enemies saw where we went and were bashing the wall even as we fled. If you want, I can check that great gate...or we could use secret tunnel I found. It leads us deeper underground and may land us in more trouble. But it is both secret and unexpected."

’Gate ‘r tunnel?’ he asked the others. “D’we ken wot’s on th’other side o’ the gate? We dae ‘ave three potions o’ gaseous form,” he informed the others.

Arvana glances at the trio. “Aside from these options, I can suggest two others. None of them quite safe or certain…” – she points towards the door the adventurers just crossed. “For one, I’ve heard of a way to reach the Smuggler’s Wharf through the tombs. We’d have to search for it” – she turns, a hint of reservation as she faces the monk. “We can also go through the Ichtian’s caves. But you’ll need to swim. Maybe even breath under water, at some point.”

“Gate or hidden paths, heard nothing about them” – she faces the dwarf, an objective expression upon her face. “I like mountaineers. Pragmatic, attentive people. I wouldn’t trust myself as well. Were I in your position, that is” – she pauses, considering things for a moment. “Still, I killed two of them. As it goes, we’re all marked. If we leave this place, they’ll come after us. For the prestige, for the dagger, for revenge. That’s how they work. Odds are in our favor if we’re together. So…” – Arvana is suddenly interrupted by a loud shock, as if a battering ram was being applied to solid stone. The bashing sounds echo through the tombs. After a third strike, the group is certain it comes from the top of the stairs they descended, minutes ago. Someone is trying to force the way through the secret path. Considering the passage holds moving cogs and mechanisms, eventually the stone slab will give in.

MARIUS

Before the shock you notice that all statues are facing the gate, almost as if they were to be confronted by people coming from the bridge. The only two that are facing each other and bent towards the path are the bigger ones, those that come from columns that rise from the darkness below. Also, the passage, as mentioned before, is held in the male separate statue. Therefore, it’s carved into one of the columns that flank the bridge.

MAP LINK

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2051010950

@Trogdor1992 @Neurotic @KahlessNestor @Jago

Jago

Explorer
~ Even the Gunslinger nearly leveled his firearm at Marius, suddenly appearing from the shadows like some kind of fell shade from the realms of Twilight.

" Karkin' Krakens, amigo, do not do that again!" Reynard chastised his compatriot sharply, chuckling nervously while stowing the gun back away and clutching at his heaving chest.

" Liable to kill a fellow with that disappearing act of yours."

Here the sailor was, peacefully thinking of spelunking, and now Reynard was assured he'd see Marius in his nightmares instead of Arvana in his dreams. However, her words still stuck with him. A chance to meet The Lady ..? Were such a thing possible, or was Morgrym right in that Arvana would more than likely cut his rappelling line and collect his possessions off of whatever corpse he left behind after such a fall?

Well, these were things that just had to be risked, the sailor surmised. Especially since Arvana had deftly avoided answering him: 'A talent to dwell beneath the waves', she had said. Was she one of the sea-folk, then? Stories, there were always stories. Old boatswains in bars and young lads without their legs for the ocean yet sang sad tales of men lead astray by the mers, either drifted off on strange currents to never be seen again, or even grabbed from their ships and drowned by beautiful women with fins and iridescent scales.

Likewise, there were just as many songs about islands of paradise where the hospitality of those who "dwell beneath the waves" was legendary: they saved shipwrecked sailors, fed them on succulent fruits and honeyed wines, and let them stay in a perfect society forever (or helped them home, though many crewman had often balked at the idea of 'home' being anywhere else but such a Utopia). Again, again, Reynard had to truly wonder which Arvana was. She could be the predator, slowly circling a wounded fish, but just as likely she could be their savior in a storm. Reynard rather liked succulent fruit, after all.

As their escape options came up, the pistolero pondered. Smuggler's Wharf sounded the most appealing: a wharf meant a ship, and a ship meant a fast way out of this entire area. There was the blockade to deal with, but hells, they could just sail around the coast to somewhere else. Reynard would be lying if he tried to say that running to the sea didn't appeal to him in some way.

" Not sure I want to crawl through the caves of those lizards after we just killed a few of their friends," Reynard admitted, " But swimming wouldn't be too much trouble for myself. A secret tunnel sounds promising, though."

He tipped his straw hat to Marius.

" Nice work on the scout detail."

Reynard listened to Arvana (noting that it was interesting that even she would advise not to trust here, which had ... interesting implications), before the bang on the roof had him drawing his gun once more.

" Frell Me, that didn't take long," he snorted wryly, moving towards where they had entered the tomb in the first place. Drawing out the sunrod fully, the gunslinger hurled it towards where they had come in, letting its light shed outwards while keeping the back area they stood in sheltered in shadow.

Checking the priming on his firearm, Reynard turned towards his companions.

" Make a decision and make it quick. I'll try and hold them off if they break through, but I'd rather not die in some long-lost tomb filled with Ichtians, if you don't mind."

He braced himself against the nearby wall, taking in a deep breath of sticky, wet air. The pistol was rock-solid in his grip, loaded and ready to put a hole through whatever was trying to follow them. ~

OOC: Map updated with a yellow-squared "S" for the Sunrod's position.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Lets use secret tunnel then. Between our fight, mixed tracks and all we should have some time. I'll leave a trail of blood toward that gate."

With that, Marius dashes toward the column and opens the passage (or at least tries to). When opened, he motions others inside while he runs toward the gate after carefully stepping into some blood. He leaves somewhat smudged footprints going toward the gate. He then takes off his footwear and returns barefoot. He repeats the procedure, sometimes using blood sometimes just running over existing trail to make it less obvious that it was a fake. Without any tracking expertise, he can only guess how it should look, but after several trips back and forth there was fading trail of footsteps that were going toward the gate with no returning tracks.

As final touch, he uses his shuriken blade to draw faint semicircle from the middle of the gate toward the walls.
OOC: this last one assumes the door opens inwards

[sblock=Actions]
I'll let you roll next time, Archon :) Survival 17, but knowledge only 3 :( - not sure which applies to this particular use of misdirection
Survival; Knowledge (dungeon): 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17
1D20+2 = [1]+2 = 3

[/sblock]

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Maran/Helen’s Fortune/Cellars
Night
Round 0

Morgrym grunted. “Secret tunnel’s alright wi’ me. Ain’t gaein’ t’argue wi’ a dwarf ‘bout gaein’ deeper unnergroun’.” He settled his axe on his shoulder. “I say the lassie walks up front where we can see ‘er.”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)(Barkskin: +2)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 30m, Fog Cloud 30m

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases