Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
The monk returns, gliding in silence in his voluminous cloak.

"This place is a tomb. The frames on the walls and that plaque on the floor, they are places for interring the dead. This one...", he motions toward the floor "...has runes for Virtue, Survival, Desire and Ascension on its four corners and it might house an undead creature, blessed guardian or just long dead body of very respected person. We shouldn't tarry, the beast and its allies are still somewhere above and may be looking for the exit from this place even as we speak. When we emerge into the night, we should take cover so we cannot be seen from above. Flying predators have sharp eyes."

With that, he moves back to right hand tunnel and leans into shadows, away from the too strong light of the sunrod, his eyes gleaming light purple when they reflect the light.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Maran/Helen’s Fortune/Cellars
Night

Morgrym returned to the others. “Found a bunch o’ a g-g-good weapons,” he said, dumping the various implements of war at their feet. He eyed the clubs and battleaxes. “Let’s see the potions.”

[sblock=OOC]How many potions? I have Detect Magic and Spellcraft, and since they’re potions, Perception works, too.. How many rolls should I do?

Also, assuming those are Masterwork weapons?[/sblock]

Jago

Explorer
~ " Someone is buried here, alright," Reynard confirmed, " But I think it's a Guardian of some sort. Look, here, the inscription."

Reynard moved the sunrod over the ancient, carved letters, reading them as the light uncovered them.

" Herein lies the last of the Willing, life and strength of Cartagula. His name forgotten, as Fate determines, his purpose remains, preserved for nights of stars unlit. When this seal is broken, once again he’ll rise to separate the unmoving gates of dead Cartagula. All written in the Old Tongue."

He let the words hang in the air for a moment, pondering. Reynard scratched at his beard, most unclear here but hoping to make some sense of the mess.

" Cartagula ... Cartagula. I can't even tell if that's a name I remember. But the symbols are quite familiar - they look similar to a guild's herald in Maran that I once saw, a recent one at that. Perhaps they're connected somehow?"

He stood, letting the sunrod drop to his side and motioning to the spent wax on the ground.

" We were not the first ones here investigating this plaque, though. Someone else was trying to read this."

Still. They had more pressing concerns.

" You are right about needing to move, omae; have you found a way out of this place?" Reynard asked of the monk, before turning to the other two with them.

" And you've found weapons? And potions? May help keep us alive once we get out of this mausoleum." ~

[sblock=Rolls]
Knowledge (Local) Roll to see about that Heraldry from the Maran Guild - Who is it most likely related to?
1d20+5: 24 {1d20=19}

I would also like to figure out what "Cartagula" is, but is that a History Check, a Religion check?[/sblock]

Neurotic

"I didn't really look, I was looking for pursuit or some obvious signs of traffic or traps. But we should really get moving."

OOC: Unless DM tells me I saw something meaningful in the first 60' (darkvision range) of any of the tunnels, Marius leads others into the right hand tunnel.

"You should douse that beacon somewhat. Wrap it into some cloth or something. I will scout ahead"
With that he turns and melds into the darkness.

Stealth (going into the darkness); Perception: 1D20+8 = [16]+8 = 24
1D20+10 = [6]+10 = 16

Archon Basileus

First Post
@Neurotic @Jago @KahlessNestor [MENTION=6801450]Trogdor1992[/MENTION]

The sounds produced by the group of unwilling explorers echo through the halls around, despite their care as they handled the findings. The sounds suggest an impressive complex unfolding through the dark. Stone dust rises from the boxes, dancing all around and denouncing air currents that cut the hall in many directions. The strongest one seems to come from the frontal entrance, through which several human-like forms can be vaguely seem. Their size and immobility suggests a number of statues crowding the adjacent room, as it grows deeper and taller into the dark.

[Darkvision: the statues are numerous and represent several human-like figures. Their delicate traces are contrasted by visions of anguish, sorrow, bravery and almost all possible human emotions, represented by each statues’ gestures. Beyond, the room grows even more. Excavated walls give place to a massive opening in natural rock. Surely the halls were built into natural caves. The opening goes up and down in acute angles, and the room turns into a large bridge. The walls glitter in the distance, water running down in thin, silent layers and streaks into an abyss, down below. The bridge runs long, and the end of it cannot be seen. This side of it, though, is flanked by two impressive statues. They guard the entrance to the bridge as they look down, heads bent as they crouch. Even in this position, they rise some 20’. The left one represents a laughing, furry man, and the right one a contemplative woman.]

The passage towards the left seems to lead to a large corridor, but only a wall of carefully placed stone blocks can be seen. It describes a turn to the right and descends slowly. Ten men could pass through, shoulder to shoulder, without difficulty.

To the right, a longer hall, similar to this one, unfolds. Still, it seems like the floor is also crowded with plaques, smaller than the first one, but sculpted in the same themes and formats. The walls have the same tombs as well. The room disappears into darkness, resisting even the most acute senses.

MORGRYM

You find fifteen potions in the first box, as well as fifteen ceramic pieces in the second one. The ceramic pieces are commonly used around Maran as explosive containers, filled with a concoction that will cause shock and burn even above water. Saboteurs and assassins have been known to use such devices.

[You may use one test per color, in a total of five. Use the highest skill you have, and apply spells if you want. The ceramic box has no need for tests – I’ll consider it as a ‘go for 10’, since it’s use is common knowledge to those familiar with maranan culture. Notice that each roll will lead to a slightly different answer, even though all of the rolls will give you – if successful – the potion’s properties]

REYNARD

Reynard tries to remember the herald and its’ owners. After some thought, he recalls having manned some cargo into a storage building back in Old Port, a stern and deserted area of Maran’s docks. As he unloaded the boat of barrels of rare metals and solid wood, he noticed the banner and a strong watch of armed men, a rare sight since the blockade was established. At that time, he took his time and asked around who were they, and why the rules did not apply to them. The answers he obtained were simple and unassuming, and yet quite vague. People said no one would dare take the weapons of the Fellowship of the Brave. Soon he’d learn that the Braves, as they are commonly known, are a guild of fighters. Still, they do not sell their services as mercenaries, neither do they serve Maran, nor any other nation. Each member decides what causes to pursue, if any. The only thing binding them together is a common philosophy, based on the exercise of individual will and something called the ‘Code of the True’. One noticeable trait is that it’s members are as likely to be in a battlefield, refining their skills, as to be in a dungeon, rotting for murdering a sworn enemy in broad daylight.

[As for Cartagula, you can choose to roll either history or religion. The answer will differ in nature, since each body of knowledge will represent a different topical emphasis; of course, both will serve the purpose of your roll, only in different ways. Extra info will bend towards the chosen skill.]

MARIUS

As the monk drives his attention towards the other rooms, he sees all stone silhouettes drawing themselves in the distance. Whatever remains beyond his scope just serves to show how far the complex reaches. As he searches what others might consider a wall of darkness, he grasps a faint, yet definitive, presence within the front hall. He sees two human-sized figures moving between the statues as they seek cover from the light and the entourage’s presence. For a second, a pair of round, bright eyes flicker from the dark, a hairless head turned towards the monk before disappearing behind an obstacle. The elusive nature of the creatures is not granted by darkness, but by their considerable agility. Even so, Marius can see they have muscular, dense bodies, and bear long weapons, most likely lances.

The monk moves to the side, merging with darkness as he goes, his entire body finding comfort against a sidewall and the shadows it projects.

VA’ARAHKIR

The kobold’s eyes grasp the movement as well, but this is not what brings his attention towards the next room. It’s the smell, something akin to the exposed bottom of a swamp. He senses familiarity, almost as if reminded of the days his tribe trailed ways near the coast, sinking their little feet into muddy waters. Nevertheless, the hole area reeks of ancient death and ocean rot. It might be that the caves beyond housed some pool of sea water, accumulating carcasses and artifacts lost to the waves. But that would not explain the movement up front… or would it?

EVERYONE

A distant sound echoes through the walls of the halls, as if some stone rolled a great distance and bashed against a solid floor. The sound is faint, though, as if produced far away. No one can tell the exact direction of it. Soon enough the first echo is followed by a second piece of noise. This one is softer and continuous, as the “fsssst” of grinding metal against rocks. The direction is not clear as well, but it becomes obvious that the sound repeats itself in short, calculated intervals – fsssst, fssssst – as in a repeated movement or gesture.

Trogdor1992

First Post
The Kobold draws his weapons, getting everyone's attention and directing them towards the movement. He hisses and says "Something moves up ahead, and the stench of death comes from that way. However, I think we should check it out anyway, might be something useful down that way."

Neurotic

Marius describes his findings to the group at the Reynards question

" Right tunnel goes deeper into catacombs. Let one goes downwards, presumably to the sea, this seems as delivery route. Up ahead is a hall of statues. And ambush. "

"There are at least two creatures. Muscular, armed with spears."
comes the whisper from the darkness as the monk hides.

Ooc: obviously I'm not leading you toward right side tunnel ;-)

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
@Neurotic @KahlessNestor @Jago @Trogdor1992
[I'm posting a map, following Neurotic's suggestions for the game. It's the first time I do this in excel, so please be forgiving, lol. Please let me know if I can get anything better. When I used to pbp, long ago, we did not have these kinds of resources, hehe. A brief explanation: the black areas are outside the map; the grey ones are representative of a "fog of war', so to speak meaning that I may include new areas in the black parts from those cells (you just can't see beyond, either because of distance or because of a wall); Blank areas can be walked; blue ones are rifts and abysses - in this case, the drops in terrain that surround the bridge; light brown represents terrain that can be stepped, but demands acrobatics. As for the letters: D for druid, B for barbarian, P for pistolero and M for monk; the E's stand for the statues; X's for the areas of suspected movements. Remember that you start at the bottom of the map! If it's still confusing, please let me know, and I'll work better legends and colors!]

[Also, I'll follow the 48 h rule from now on; I'll wait for the posts of our two remaining friends before I proceed. And one last thing: Neurotic suggested opening enemies' info in order to facilitate combat and strategy, and I think it would make the game more comprehensible. If anyone thinks otherwise, please, let me know! I'll add you guys in the share folder as soon as I have your data.]

Link to the map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZBfqlZpct8SZ7vh_U_nqispO67s2ZXLunqhdY4dnNwI/edit#gid=2051010950

Last edited:

Jago

Explorer
~ Upon Marius's request, Reynard reached once again into his pack and produced a burlap sack, tossing the sunrod into it and closing the top with his hand. The light was suddenly snuffed out as the alchemical torch was hidden, leaving the sailor to try and adjust his eyes to the dark.

" The sea would be the best option, then," Reynard said, making sure his weapon was primed and ready for combat as necessary.

" Do we know what our friends are down that path? A pair of spears does not seem too much of a threat. We may be able to easily frighten them as needed so we can make our way out of her quicker." ~

Neurotic

OOC: I moved Marius at the entrance and hidden from view from those beyond. The hope is to surprise them. But he cannot answer at the moment to anyone.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases