Greyhawk: The Golden Era CY 963: EPIC CAMPAIGN - Campaign Logs + RESTORED CAMPAIGN THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Jynx said:
"Remove all connections to that plane from the cosmology, effectively allowing the universe to 'make it disappear', naturally?", Jynx posits.

Pondren says,
"That is the most drastic step. It will destroy the plane. And the spell would need to be cast from on the plane itself, which means there is a chance that whomever stays behind to cast the spell might not make it out. It depends on how long it takes the plane to implode. It cannot be reliably predicted. It could be instant, or it could take an hour, or it could take a year, or a hundred years. Every plane is different."

GM:
+1,500 xp. to Jynx for bringing up an important story element.

Nezkrul

First Post
"Less drastic- make a spell or magical object that would give the caster/owner complete control over the plane's energies, features, and traits; thereby allowing one to "fix" the problems?". It seems that Jynx has been thinking up answers to problems that do not affect him during his long watch over the people who rested.

OOC: Pondren, Delbin, Dengar, Jynx each get these shares of the coins:
3,328 copper
4,730 silver
18,647 electrum leaving 2ep
468,910 gold leaving 3gp
91,719 platinum leaving 3pp

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Jynx said:
"Less drastic- make a spell or magical object that would give the caster/owner complete control over the plane's energies, features, and traits; thereby allowing one to "fix" the problems?"

Pondren says, "Yes, that's what I was talking about. When I said that we could remove the part of the plane that infuses its inhabitants with energy, I was referring to re-constructing Fandekar's original spell, and leaving that part out. He left many notes on this process in his book, and the actual spell is inscribed on a secret wall, located within his tower, according to the book. If we re-made his spell, without the harmful component, and then cast it within the plane, it would 'overwrite' the old spell, and force the parameters of the new spell into being, thereby ridding the plane of the property that makes it dangerous. Of course, then it will be simply a normal plane, that anyone could travel to and colonize, but after all, wasn't that the point to begin with?"

Pondren strokes his chin, before adding: "Of course, we need to figure out what to do with the zombies first. And without Fandekar here to defend his plane, any old squad of free-loading demon scouts could come and plant their master's flag."

Last edited:

Nezkrul

First Post
Jynx asks, "Wouldn't rewriting the plane also include rewriting all the inhabitants? Afterall, standing on that plane is "being" part of it, is it not?". "Just something to consider before deciding on that idea."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx joins in the conversation.

"I hate to seal the fate of those that chose to engage upon the doomed plan for utopian bliss, but it is far better than any recurrent problem. I too, say that we disconnect any means of ingress or egress to this plane."

"If we reset it, we would basically be leaving the plane and its resources for plunder and possible misuse by malignant powers. I understand that this will mean implosion, and that there are extreme risks, but the spell that would cause the connections to be severed can be configured to activate at a later time than it was cast. One could then cast the spell, portal out, and one minute later, the spell's effect would become active, and start severing the links. Another solution is to use a Simulacrum to cast the spell."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Pondren smiles at Sphynx's genius. "Ah yes, I see your point. Resetting the plane leaves it as a blank slate, while destroying it truly restores the order of the cosmos. You are most wise. And yes, the spell could easily be re-configured to activate on a delayed basis; I had never thought of it in that way. You are exceedingly eruditic, and very insightful. One could learn much, merely by remaining in your immediate company, and listening."

Pondren runs his fingers through his hair. He can't ever seem to stop fidgeting! "One thing I'd like to do first, however, is make sure there are no remaining non-zombified inhabitants on the plane; if there are, it would be a simple matter to get them off the plane BEFORE we begin casting the spell. A simple Commune spell would suffice to discover any survivors. I have no qualms about destroying zombies, but we need to ensure that we aren't neglecting innocent lives. What say all of you?"

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sphynx looks at their new found company a moment then continues. "Pondren, I'm going to need to read that book. I feel quite certain I can not only recreate but also modify Fandekar's spell, but I want to get this right in one try."

Nezkrul

First Post
"Perhaps Dengar could ask for his Lady's assistance in helping the non-zombified inhabitants off the plane?", asks Jynx.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
"Perhaps Dengar could ask for his Lady's assistance in helping the non-zombified inhabitants off the plane?", asks Jynx.

~ In the cradle of the heavens... ~

Dengar has been listening carefully, stroking his chin contemplatively. To Jynx, "Yes, she can, but..." Dengar trails off for a moment, and addresses the group, unusually somber. "This can go wrong in a thousand ways. I agree with Sphynx. And I'd like to peruse the book as well. We presume that we are doing the right thing by undoing something that should have never been done in the first place. Fandekar's new plane, I mean. I see what you mean by severing the ability to enter and leave it, as we perceive it to be an elaborate booby trap of sorts. I wonder...." Dengar trails off again for another moment.

"I have two dueling notions swirling around in my head: the first is that it might be possible to reverse temporal mechanics in the plane, by which it would devolve back into what? Nothingness perhaps? Effectively, we would be killing it in its crib. However, in doing so, I am not simply concerned about unfortunate inhabitants. I'm concerned about Fandekar as an infant. I wonder if it would be possible to reverse the effects that way."

"Additionally, I also view this new plane as a potentially valuable to us in the future. A way to stay out of the way. Or perhaps if it's untamable, perhaps as a prison. I'm simply throwing out notions here, but since we appear to be discussing treading where not even gods typically tread, we might contemplate what we are really doing. I'll support ending this place vis-à-vis Sphynx's measuring twice and cutting once, but I want to make sure we've considered thoroughly what we are doing. This is advanced arithmetic, my friends."

"I volunteer to activate the spell, once we contemplate how to do it. I would remind everyone that I can request miracles of varying complexity. Perhaps this will be interesting enough to my Lady Luck that she would intercede aggressively. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads