Monk Path - Way of the Enduring Stone

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Way of the Enduring Stone

The dwarves of the Broken Mountain monastery based their style on the power of the very stone that was used to create their homes and that their brethren mined for resources. Instead of fighting the stone they chose to become one with it and infuse their bodies with the essence that lay within the element of Earth. This tradition is practiced primarily by Dwarves, Goliaths, and Earth Genasi - although in theory anyone may earn a place at the monastery and learn the style.

Monks who follow this tradition are also called Stone Wardens.

Stone’s Hardness
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, and when wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Constitution Modifier + your Wisdom Modifier.

Stone’s Might
At 3rd level, your attacks have become infused with the might of the Earth. Your unarmed attacks and attacks with monk weapons may use your Con modifier to calculate your attack and damage bonus (instead of Str or Dex).

The War Pick and War Hammer are now considered monk weapons for you, and you are proficient with them.

Elemental Attunement (Earth) - you can use your action to briefly control the element of Earth, causing one of the following effects of your choice:

• Create a harmless, instantaneous sensory effect related to earth, such as a gentle rumbling of stone.
  • Move loose earth or stone from one spot to another (one cubic foot at a time). It rolls along the ground, up to 15 feet per Action spend to move it.
  • Cause the ground to open up and swallow a small campfire, putting it out and hiding it.
  • Mold a 1-foot cube of loose stone, dirt, gravel, or mud into a crude form you designate for 1 minute.

Stone’s Resilience
At 6th level you have learned to infuse your body with the resilience of Earth. As a bonus action you may spend 2 ki points and gain DR vs. Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage equal to your Con modifier. This lasts for 1 minute.

Mountain Stance
At 11th level you have learned to harden your skin and body until it is strong as stone. You can spend 4 Ki points to cast Stoneskin, targeting yourself.

Call the Mountain
At 17th level you can spend 5 ki points to cast Wall of Stone

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
You could maybe make Stone's Resilience a reaction, similar to shield, so it also affects whatever attack triggered it.

I feel like 4 points for stone skin is a bit much, as a concentration spell for a melee heavy character. I would either drop it down to 2 or 3, or remove the concentration for this case.

All IMO, and hardly backed up by experience, just my gut feeling.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
You could maybe make Stone's Resilience a reaction, similar to shield, so it also affects whatever attack triggered it. [
Not a bad idea, I'll think about it. If so, I'll reduce the Ki cost to 1 pt.

I feel like 4 points for stone skin is a bit much, as a concentration spell for a melee heavy character. I would either drop it down to 2 or 3, or remove the concentration for this case.

All IMO, and hardly backed up by experience, just my gut feeling.

The "Way of the Four Elements" monk gets it as a possible ki spell, but not until 17th level (called "Eternal Mountain Defense") and it costs them 5 ki points. Since this path is focused on a single element, I gave it to them at lvl 11 and reduced the cost to 4.

Lanliss

Explorer
The "Way of the Four Elements" monk gets it as a possible ki spell, but not until 17th level (called "Eternal Mountain Defense") and it costs them 5 ki points. Since this path is focused on a single element, I gave it to them at lvl 11 and reduced the cost to 4.

Ah, makes sense. I didn't look at the WoFE, I only looked at the spell.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases