WOIN Supers

M3woods

Explorer
Yes, that list of archetypes came from M&M but they're considered archetypes for a reason. They're standards of the superhero medium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
After thinking it over I wound up making some substantive edits to my post. Please read the edited version and I apologize if I was being or sounding accusatory.

M3woods

Explorer
After thinking it over I wound up making some substantive edits to my post. Please read the edited version and I apologize if I was being or sounding accusatory.
No worries, friend. M&M3e is my 'go-to' system for Supers. I think I'll stick with it for that genre. Still, W.O.I.N. seems to hit a sweet spot for all the rest. I'll continue using it for both my Apocalyptic Weird Western and my Fantasy Steampunk setting.

btccg

First Post
One question for M3Woods: would the 'archteypes' that you envision not work better as Careers instead?

The Character Origins you envision make sense to determine HOW the character got their superpowers, for sure. But then, would it not be logical to have the Career the character selects be their archetype definition?

This would still allow specific exploits for each archetype you indicated, but also allow flexibility for a character to have a wide variety of powers if they so choose. If a character selects all their available Careers from one specific archetype then that character is a solid version of that archetype (e.g. prototypical 'brick' like the Hulk would simply have multiple Career Paths in "Powerhouse" or "Warrior"). But if a character wanted a variety, they could still make a "Powerhouse Martial Artist", for example, by taking multiple Careers in Powerhouse and a single Career in Martial Artist.

AslanC

Explorer
Please don't emulate Champions of M&M with this, please? We have enough builders in the world already. Look to some other games like ICONS, or FASERIP for excellent power systems that can be adapted as well. Hell if you want to use dice pools, look to SUPERS! and SUPERS! Revised Edition for great ways to do powers without having to have endless points pools and lego-plumbing :)

Otherwise I am most curious to watch this evolve.

M3woods

Explorer
I'm taking a step back from working on ideas for WOIN Supers. I've got plenty to keep me busy. My tabletop group have finally decided to try N.E.W. so I'll be running another setting of my own design called 2212: Midnight Dogs (think TMNT meets Cyberpunk.)

M3woods

Explorer
A new idea for WOIN Supers popped into my head the other day. This is only a rough idea but I'll fiddle with it during down time and see how it looks.

A Character begins with their Origin, which would be your basic accident, mutant, non-human, etc; the origin story, so to speak. Then, the player chooses an Archetype: Paragon, Mystic, Vigilante, etc.

Here's the kicker, instead of careers the player chooses Power Sets. Here's an example:

ENERGY EMISSION
Attributes: END +1, WIL +1, POW +2
Skill Choices: [power], intimidation, perception, [physical], ranged ability, dodging

Exploits
Energy Blast (requires POW 6). You have the ability to fire blasts of energy from your body, with a range increment of 10'. If attack succeeds, blast does 1d6 per 2 PP [energy type] damage.

Force Field (POW 4). You create a force field of [energy type] centered on yourself, gaining SOAK 1 +1 per PP spent until your next turn. Pay 1d6 to extend the force field an additional 5' per 2 PP spent.

Draining Energy (WIL 4, POW 6). On a successful Grab, you can envelope an opponent with a cloak of energy which causes 1d6 +1d6 per 4 PP damage. Pay 2d6; you may forego the Grab and gain a range increment of 5' per additional 2 PP spent.

Energy Orbs (requires Energy Blast, POW 4). You have the ability to create and throw explosive orbs of energy. Energy Orbs affect opponents within 5' of target square and do 2d6 [energy type] damage to any within area of effect. (See Grenades in Future Equipment for details on throwing and area of effect.)

I was also looking at Power Shifts from the Cypher system. Power Shifts would allow a character to maintain a niche without changing any die types to justify things like super strength or invulnerability.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's not dissimilar to the way Mike Myler treated martial arts in NOW. I think it works. It's mechanically a career with a time element of zero.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases