Build advice: Limits by Power Source instead of Class

ZickZak

Explorer
Hello,
we will be trying a new houserule next game: Limiting Power Pool by power source.
So for instance Hybrid Warrior and Cleric would allow for all the usual powers fom Warrior and Cleric, but also for all the Martial and Divine powers from any class. Only Encounters and Dailies, because At-Wills would make the classes irelevant and possibly OP - unsure yet.

I understand most of you havent done this, but can you think of any combinations that would work well? I look for "Arcane Archer / Shadow Ninja" concept.
Thanks for advice, if any :p

Reqs.: (Can refluff ANYTHING)

• Level 12
  • No magic items (Inherit Bonuses)
  • Ranged
  • Spells (uses eyes to cast charms and illusions)
    • Enchantment (Control spells - fear, dominate...)
    • Illusions
    • Evocation
  • Teleportation (not required)
  • Theme: Ravens, Shadow, Moon, Radiant/Ice

• Previous versions of character notable powers were: Radiant Armor, Cause Fear, Shadow Step, Slayer's Escape, Wrathful Lightning, Form of the Raven Flock, Dominate

Last edited:

ZickZak

Explorer
As an easy example, an Int/Wis Swordmage|Paladin can use every Wizard & Invoker choice while having Swordmage & Paladin marking capabilities.

These two classes dont really work in my mind to fill the "Arcane Archer" theme I wrote about.

MwaO

Adventurer
As I noted, pick two classes that have lots of features and good power sources, then choose powers that fit your concept from the link. The main difficulty that you have is that Dex+Int isn't a great choice regardless and if you're an Arcane Archer, you want Wizard powers. And it would be nice to have Twin Strike.

Fundamentally [MENTION=12749]MwaO[/MENTION] is correct. You can simply pick a defender and perhaps a leader or striker for your two classes, just making sure they are from different power sources, and then load up on the best powers, particularly wizard powers, which give you controller for free in effect. Fighter or Paladin are great for marking, though the Swordmage's Aegis is also quit appealing. Then you can obviously inject some Avenger for that sort of fun, Ranger for TS and etc, or maybe Bard. Warlord, cleric, any of those could be appealing depending on exactly where you want to go with it.

Truthfully a straight up single-classed character would still kick ass. A Cleric or Paladin that can pick up all the Invoker powers he wants? NICE!

In terms of your theme... Warlock is a perennial hybrid favorite, usually because of eyebite. You could go with CHA, which cracks open both bard and sorcerer powers, which is a pretty wide range of interesting stuff. The other half could obviously be rogue, or ranger. I think a TS using archer with plenty of nasty spells would be pretty gnarly. That would be a DEX/CHA build. You can strike from range and then vanish into the shadows all in one action, then slip away. If the bad guys get close to you, then blind them, slip away, and come back with more nasty ranged attacks. I'm sure [MENTION=12749]MwaO[/MENTION] can list out the specific powers and feats that are going to be most gruesome.

Honestly, its not going to break the game totally wide open, you can already achieve the best combinations via MC feats and hybrid already. It will just obviate the need for certain specific feat combinations/items, and make it a little more flexible. No doubt if you optimize under this kind of setup you'll crank it up a small notch or two, but whatever.

ZickZak

Explorer
I think a TS using archer with plenty of nasty spells would be pretty gnarly. That would be a DEX/CHA build. You can strike from range and then vanish into the shadows all in one action, then slip away. If the bad guys get close to you, then blind them, slip away, and come back with more nasty ranged attacks. I'm sure @MwaO can list out the specific powers and feats that are going to be most gruesome.

Yea, this would be something I d look for. I was initially looking at Sorcerer with Lotus Master Riposte, but Twin Strike might just be better. I d appreciate if you have any specific combinations in mind.

Yea, this would be something I d look for. I was initially looking at Sorcerer with Lotus Master Riposte, but Twin Strike might just be better. I d appreciate if you have any specific combinations in mind.

Well, my DDI account finally ripened and fell off the tree. Its hard to work up specific things by hand (and my memory isn't what it used to be either!). I'm just thinking something like "Gosh, it would suck to be getting drilled with arrows by a guy you cannot see at all (Eyebite and TS, must be a good way to run some kiting with them tactics). Throw in Shadow Walk and then there's always various fairly obvious control spells to keep your bad guys out of your face. Wizard stuff like Grease for instance would presumably work pretty well. Add in a feat to allow you to push bad guys when you hit them with an arrow (I am pretty sure that exists, anyway you could get an item that would do it, etc) and you could really have a pretty nasty setup. You're almost a one-man-band as long as you don't get mired down somewhere or caught in very constricting terrain.

Honestly, that makes me think that this sort of setup would be good for something like a 2-character party. 2 Characters could cover 4 power sources, so pretty much anything they really wanted to be able to do they could probably pull off.

ZickZak

Explorer
Honestly, that makes me think that this sort of setup would be good for something like a 2-character party. 2 Characters could cover 4 power sources, so pretty much anything they really wanted to be able to do they could probably pull off.
We are only two players in this group. So hopefully will be okay enough to be a perma rule.

I've actually contemplated this house rule in the past and then backed away slowly when I realized how ridiculous the PCs would end up being.

Thought experiment: assuming no ability score substitution shenanigans, which ability score has the most 'best attack powers' associated with it? My gut feeling is Strength because of all the insanely good Fighter and Warlord powers, but Intelligence probably is a close second. (Of course we could argue about how to measure 'best attack powers'....)

MwaO

Adventurer
I've actually contemplated this house rule in the past and then backed away slowly when I realized how ridiculous the PCs would end up being.

Thought experiment: assuming no ability score substitution shenanigans, which ability score has the most 'best attack powers' associated with it? My gut feeling is Strength because of all the insanely good Fighter and Warlord powers, but Intelligence probably is a close second. (Of course we could argue about how to measure 'best attack powers'....)

It depends on how MC'ing works, but a Warlord|Swordmage can grab most of the ones that count…

Remove ads