Default Avatars Removed

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just a quick note - I have today disabled all the "default" avatars from the system. They are mainly the art and IP of other companies, and while I don't think it's an issue, it's better to be safe than sorry.

This doesn't affect custom avatars, only the ones EN World provides. If you have the ability to set a custom avatar, this does not change anything - just carry on as normal.

(Since I'm doing avatar stuff, I will also be making sure that the system is correctly removing all permissions from expired subscriptions; there's been a bug with that for a long time, and it's long past time to fix it!)

Sorry, folks!

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Custom avatars have always been a subscriber feature. You can subscribe here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/payments.php

Up until a day or two ago, I had a custom avatar, and I have never been a subscriber. (See screenshot below)

Now my avatar is gone, and it will not let me upload anything.

So was I "accidentally" allowed to upload a custom avatar? *confused*

This is NOT a complaint. Just a request for clarification. :)

Morrus-Question-001.jpg

Rune

Once A Fool
Yeah. My 100% definitely custom (as in, drawn by me) avatar is missing too. How do I get it back?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Tellarian, you shouldn't have been able to upload a custom avatar. That wasn't intentional! :)

Rune, is it not letting you upload it again? Mine is a custom avatar I uploaded myself, and it's still there. You're showing as a silver subscriber, so you should be fine.
SaveSave

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, non-subscribers can no longer have an avatar, now?

That's ... rather lame.

I am pretty lame. It's a well known thing about me. Just ask anyone!

I might get some default ones made up based on IP that I own, rather than the Star Wars, LotR, Simpsons etc. ones which were there. Low priority though - we still have a lot of broken bugs to squish post-crash.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] I did notice a hiccup. After my old avatar was lost, I tried uploading my personal avatar, a resized photo of myself (81 kb JPEG, 300 x 339 pixels), and ENWorld gave me the vBulletin message: Unable to save image. I tried reseting the field, and redoing it, and same error message.

Remove ads