D&D 5E Is R.A. Salvatore's "Hero" the last Forgotten Realms book?

EbbTide808

First Post
I was just listening to The Tome Show / D&D Round Table episode 139 and they suggest that we might not see any more Forgotten Realms books. Their evidence?

Erin M. Evans's Brimstone Angels series is ending, and on her blog she says she's not happy about it.

The "Next Issue" section of this month's Dragon + says they will interview R.A. Salvatore on "the fiery conclusion of the Legend of Drizzt novels"

Ed Greenwood has apparently blogged that there won't be more Realms books. I could find and validate this.

Troy Denning's most recent novels were cancelled.

The end of the episode was an interview with Erin Evans and she basically said NDA makes it difficult for her to say much, but you can draw your own conclusions. She says she is not writing any Forgotten Realms books anytime soon. She then goes on to say that all the authors' writing will translate to other settings easily, implying that it is ending.

Anyone know any more?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
The "Next Issue" section of this month's Dragon + says they will interview R.A. Salvatore on "the fiery conclusion of the Legend of Drizzt novels"
It really said that? The conclusion of the Legend of Drizzt novels, not the Homecoming series? Well that's a bit decisive, isn't it...?

Bummer.

But how could it be true? The Drizzt series is still turning a profit, I assume.

Valetudo

Explorer
It really said that? The conclusion of the Legend of Drizzt novels, not the Homecoming series? Well that's a bit decisive, isn't it...?

Bummer.

But how could it be true? The Drizzt series is still turning a profit, I assume.
if it was, i dont think they would stop. Weird considering the new guy likes to write. Maybe RAS and greenwood caused some drama and wizards said enough. Wizards makes some weird business choices sometimes.

Mercule

Adventurer
if it was, i dont think they would stop. Weird considering the new guy likes to write. Maybe RAS and greenwood caused some drama and wizards said enough. Wizards makes some weird business choices sometimes.
Profit is relative. It might generate a lot of revenue, but it's also possible that RAS has decided that his name is benefiting the Realms brand more than the other way around and tried to renegotiate his contract appropriately. Even if he did and was totally justified, maybe WotC decided they didn't like bending over barrels.

Note: I'm not casting any shade on anyone. I have no insight into the character and/or motivations of anyone involved.

As a side question: I know I don't care for Drizzt. At all. For that matter, I've never been a fan of most of the other D&D fiction. Not to sound snobbish, but it just seemed mediocre. Evan's work looks a bit more interesting. How is her writing, relative to other FR fiction?

That question also makes me think: Now that the FR movie has been greenlit, maybe they want to find an otherwise known author (Brooks and Sanderson have both worked with others' IP) to do a novelization of the movie. That would present a nice, clean face for newcomers.

Last edited:

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Evan's work looks a bit more interesting. How is her writing, relative to other FR fiction?
No better than Salvatore's, that's for sure. What I've read of her work is kind of smutty. I think Wizards was hoping that she would appeal to younger female readers (since they make up a large chunk of the market), but I don't think it panned out.

That question also makes me think: Now that the FR movie has been greenlit, maybe they want to find an otherwise known author (Brooks and Sanderson have both worked with others' IP) to do a novelization of the movie. That would present a nice, clean face for newcomers.
I only read FR books for the lore, so bringing in big-name authors wouldn't do anything for me. I would know more about the world they're writing in than they would.

EbbTide808

First Post

Its not unreasonable to think that they might want to focus on movie novelization, or even that they might get have entered into an agreement with Warner around what will be done in print when the movie comes out and how profit from that merchandising will be split.

It it does seem strange that Bob would be asked to end his writing run on Drizz't. His first Drizz't novel was 1990 and helped define D&D for many, for better or worse.

Remove ads