D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A 5e Renaissance Story [OOC]

River Song

Explorer
option row 1. exchange Chain mail for Studded (studded is 5gp cheaper)
option row 3. exchange light crossbow for a couple of bandoleers with daggers (looking at 6 daggers total)

edit: sorry meant daggers

River Song

Explorer
need to finalise equipment and starting city.
gio.jpg

Name: Giovanni Bellini Antonello da Messina
Sex: Male
Race: Human (Fossice)
Class/Level: Fighter 3 (Battle Master)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Size: Medium
Init: +3
Senses: Normal Human
Passive Perception: 9
Speed : 30

DEFENSE
AC: 15 (studded leather)
HP: 28 (3d10)
Saves: Str & Con

OFFENSE
Melee:
Attacks: 1
Weapons Attack Damage Type Range Property
Rapier +5 1d8+3 P - Finesse
Scimitar +5 1d6+3 S - Finesse, light
Dagger +5 1d4+3 P 20/60 Finesse, light, thrown

FEATS:
Martial Adept – Two extra Manoeuvres and 1 extra Superiority Dice

STATISTICS
Str 10
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 8
Cha 14

SKILLS Proficiencies with *

+3 (dex) Acrobatics
-1 (wis) Animal Handling
+1 (int) Arcana
+0 (str) Athletics
*+4 (cha) Deception
*+3 (int) History
-1 (wis) Insight
*+4 (cha) Intimidation
+1 (int) Investigation
-1 (wis) Medicine
+1 (int) Nature
-1 (wis) Perception
*+4 (cha) Performance
*+4 (cha) Persuasion
+1 (int) Religion
+3 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+3 (dex) Stealth
-1 (wis) Survival

TOOL PROFICIENCIES: Painter’s Supplies,
LANGUAGES: Abituale, Magnanimo, Elvish, Dwarvish, Halfling

RACE FEATURES
Extra Feat
Extra Skill

BACKGROUND FEATURES Courtier
Feature: Court Functionary
- Your knowledge of how bureaucracies function lets you gain access to the records and inner workings of any noble court or government you encounter. You know who the movers and shakers are, whom to go to for favours, and what the current intrigues of interest are.

CLASS FEATURES - Fighter
Fighting Style: Two Weapon Fighter
Second Wind: 1d10+3, BA 1/SR/LR
Archetype: Battle Master – Parry, Disarming Strike, Riposte, Trip Attack, Rally
Superiority Dice: 5d8
Maneuver DC: 14
Action Surge: 1 SR/LR

[sblock=EQUIPMENT]

Studded Leather
Rapier
Scimitar
2 Bandoleers with 3 daggers each
Explorers Pack
Painting supplies
Travellers clothes
Beltpouch

Money: =15 gp[/sblock]

Personality Trait: I’m a snob who looks down on those who can’t appreciate fine art.
Ideal: Freedom. Everyone should be free to pursue their own livelihood..
Bond: One day I will return to my guild and prove that I am the greatest artisan of them all.
Flaw: I’m never satisfied with what I have – I always want more.

Physical Appearance:
Giovanni is a handsome preener of the greatest order; he likes to keep up with the fashions and works hard to maintain his lithe physique. He has smooth olive skin, warm sultry brown eyes and curled lustrous dark hair. He describes his height as perfect; for it allows his dance partner to rest her head on his shoulder rather than stick it in his armpit. Due to his colouring he favours hues of red in his attire and is very fond of cream silk shirts. Most of his present clothing and adornments are as a result of gifts from various ladies.

Backstory:
Giovanni Bellini Antonello da Messina is the son of a whore, apart from the gift of live (for which he is sure the world is blessed) she also gave him the desire to better himself and he constantly reinvented himself. Indeed, he does even let himself remember his humble origins, that person simply does not exist. He studied his mother’s patrons well, learned how they talk and move and quickly came to the attention of the madam, Aelia Domitia Paulina, at fourteen and seeing the potential in the handsome young man (to make money of course) she embarked on giving him an excellent education.
He was tutored in history, conversation, the arts, dance and the intrigues of courtly life. After two years, he was reinvented and ladies paid handsomely for a night with him. Though his entire skill-set was tailored to provide ladies the illusion of a cultured nobleman; Giovanni found he did have a natural talent and love for painting; especially female nudes.
Once his contract with Madam Paulina was over, he worked in the courts as a commissioned painter of portraits and using his well honed skills he also seduced many of the ladies at court. This lead to a few duels with outraged husbands, brothers or any other male relative that chose to take offence but Paulina had also made sure he received instruction from the finest swordsmen. The duels are simply another tool for Giovanni to use to further himself, never satisfied with the status quo. The one thing that irks him most though was the lack of recognition for his work by the stuffy old men of the Guild of Painters. One day he would force them to acknowledge his talent.

Last edited:

Jago

Explorer
1) Perhaps life on the farm is not as peaceful and as idyllic as it seems. Someone in the family has been naughty. Perhaps Dad is scheming to claw his House back into prominence. Perhaps that reclusive, creepy uncle is up to something. Experimentation! A collusion of magic and science! An attempt to harness some wellspring of pure arcane force and put it to work! Only my character somehow got caught in the middle...or was perhaps used intentionally...and has become a vessel for this force. I can't just go public...my family has suffered too much already. But I fear what might happen if I return! In the meantime, this power is both burden and opportunity! (This would work well with Wild magic to represent its uncontrollable nature, or with a custom-designed 'arcane' style Sorcerous Origin)

I do like this. It fits the idea of Nobles becoming more and more desperate to maintain their wealth and power. Perhaps it really was an experiment on the daughter, and the idea of marrying her off came very quickly after when they found out it didn't quite work as intended (the Father or Uncle "happens" to bring up the arrangement shortly after the experiment). This also fits a lot of themes of science and magic colliding, and even touches the darker side of "We were so concerned with whether we could that we never stopped to ask if we should."

Wild Mage is definitely appropriate, though I've some ideas for an Arcane Style Sorcerer: essentially some fun stuff with Sorcery Points and Metamagic if you decide to go this route. Alternatively, if you want this to be more dangerous than just raw magic, I've also an idea for like a "Blood Sorcerer": not actually using blood or sacrifice but the idea of weakening yourself to empower your magic.

1a) This is similar, but instead of a nefarious experiment, it could have been the result of an attempt to cure me of a terrible illness or life-threatening curse or affliction. Which segues into:

2) The Phoenix Brand. At some point my character was injured or afflicted, with some malady science and what little magic could be scraped together could not cure. Father, seeing his last chance at a legacy slip away, became desperate and turned to greater and more dangerous journeys. After adventures, either undertaken himself or perhaps someone else on his behalf, I was brought before one of the few creatures of legend that still remain in the world...a great phoenix. For reasons my character does not yet understand, it willingly pulled me into its wings, and exploded in flames that seemed to consume us both. From the ashes, only I was pulled. The bird was gone...but a mark appeared on my skin, shaped vaguely like a bird rising from flame. A variation on the Dragonheart scenario, but without the troublesome fairy-tale dynamics to baggage it. Requires custom Origin, probably borrowing from the Favored Soul and Draconic Origins rather heavily.

I include 1a and 2 together as again, they are similar enough.

I also enjoy this. Perhaps not quite a true Phoenix, but maybe some collusion of Science and Magic again, but with the idea of perhaps several phoenix feathers (or tears or something) were found, made into some type of poultice or potion based on some really ancient, esoteric recipe, and the imbibing of this medicine had some ... unintended consequences. Namely the mark, the touch of sorcery, etc.

The only reason I'm hesitant to bring in a legit, for-real Phoenix is that as you say, this is a legendary creature. If we go with she was miraculously cured by a Phoenix, the family has probably buried this deep because that's some heretical stuff right there: Why not pray to The Maker or rely on good, concrete Medicine to cure such sickness? Using a "monster" would be highly suspicious if others knew, so, I'm good with you doing this, but again that might factor into the "Okay, we cured her, now get her out of the house NOW," so that it has less of a chance of coming back to bite the family, especially if they're still trying to recover their name and wealth.

For an Origin, I think you nailed it: I'm considering the idea of bonuses to fire and movement, as well as maybe a limited access to some type of Healing (perhaps through Metamagic or Sorcery Points), with a cap ability of full-on Resurrection.

option row 1. exchange Chain mail for Studded (studded is 5gp cheaper)
option row 3. exchange light crossbow for a couple of bandoleers with daggers (looking at 6 daggers total)

Hm. You're 3rd Level, I'm okay with these swaps. Love the backstory, I get to work in a Brothel and gilted Nobles, this is going to be ace. The Painter background is also pretty great, very nice touch. Could certainly see that used for fun and profit. Definitely seems like Gio comes from a more Venetian-style city: something loud and bright and wealthy. With all the emphasis on the arts and dance and such though, I'm surprised you went for Insight as a Skill: mayhaps Performance might be a better fit? Your choice, naturally.

River Song

Explorer
Hm. You're 3rd Level, I'm okay with these swaps. Love the backstory, I get to work in a Brothel and gilted Nobles, this is going to be ace. The Painter background is also pretty great, very nice touch. Could certainly see that used for fun and profit. Definitely seems like Gio comes from a more Venetian-style city: something loud and bright and wealthy. With all the emphasis on the arts and dance and such though, I'm surprised you went for Insight as a Skill: mayhaps Performance might be a better fit? Your choice, naturally.

Thanks for that, Venice is exactly the kind of opulent, decadent cesspit Gio would have grown up in. :) Do you have a name in mind for an analogue?

Insight came as part of the Background options, I would be happy to swap it out if you are OK with it?

Shayuri

First Post
I think I may be leaning towards 1a at this point. I like the idea of some experimental procedure...well-intentioned, but far beyond the confines of the advisable or sane...which saves her life but has unforeseen consequences as well.

And I'm feeling the arcane origin more than the phoenix one.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Do we yet have any idea where we will be starting?

Presumably a city- is it inland or a port? Who rules? (Noble council, guilds, king/queen) Anything else we need to know?

(We don't know yet is a valid answer- just trying to tack some background together)

Jago

Explorer
Thanks for that, Venice is exactly the kind of opulent, decadent cesspit Gio would have grown up in. :) Do you have a name in mind for an analogue?

Insight came as part of the Background options, I would be happy to swap it out if you are OK with it?

Hm. What about Fossice as a name for the City-State? From the Latin root "fossa", meaning moat or canal, because, well Venice. Alternatively, Nitenssia, from "nitens": glossy, sleek, handsome, but also "greasy" in some cases, hinting at that seedier underside

Meanwhile, Background Options for Everybody: I am 100% okay with people exchanging skills, languages tools, etc. as per the customizing a background section in the PHB. You want to take the Acolyte Feature but not even have the Religion Skill? Go ahead.

I think I may be leaning towards 1a at this point. I like the idea of some experimental procedure...well-intentioned, but far beyond the confines of the advisable or sane...which saves her life but has unforeseen consequences as well.

And I'm feeling the arcane origin more than the phoenix one.

Okay! Do you have any recommendations or wishes for an Arcane Background, or are you free with me designing a draft and we tweak from there?

Do we yet have any idea where we will be starting?

Presumably a city- is it inland or a port? Who rules? (Noble council, guilds, king/queen) Anything else we need to know?

(We don't know yet is a valid answer- just trying to tack some background together)

I legitimately do not know yet, as I am basing the majority of the story on my characters and their stories.

HOWEVER, I am leaning towards the following, depending upon what everyone agrees on:

- The starting city-state will be a Port, a hub of commerce and power
- The ruling power is a Senate, the seats of which are made up of the 5 most powerful Guilds in the city.
- There will be a Thieves' Guild, a Banking Guild, a Merchant Guild, a Duelist's Guild, and a Scientific Guild, though these are not necessarily the ones in power.
- The City-State will be one where the Old Nobility is respected, but most know that they have no real power anymore. The Nobility do not like this.
- There will be feuding between Three Houses: A rising Middle-Class Banking family, an Old Noble Merchant family, and a family deeply connected to The Maker's Church.
- The majority of the populace will worship The Church of The Maker, though there are callbacks to the Old [Roman] Gods, made vogue by a small school of local artists. The Church does not like this school.

Shayuri

First Post
Suggestion! Perhaps the old noble merchant family is responsible in some way for my family's fall from grace! We may have been competitors once...

Go ahead and post your ideas, Jago. I will do the same. We can reconcile them after we do!

--
So maybe something that lets them cast Detect Magic and Identify as a ritual...to reflect being able to sense and interpret magical flows of energy. It's something sorcerors can't normally do without spending a feat on it.

A high level ability might be resistance to spell damage, or advantage on saves versus spells...that's roughly in line with high level goodies other classes get...

Maybe something that boosts damage from cantrips by chamod?

Last edited:

Remove ads