What is Level Adjustment for?

mattcolville

Adventurer
Ok, I'm looking at Savage Species and I understand what ECL is and, obviously, I understand what Hit Dice are, and I see that Level Adjustment is ECL - HD. But why do I need to know that? What do you use Level Adjustment for?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Some monsters are more powerful (allegedly) than a character of their hit-dice. LA expresses that difference.

For example, a medusa with 6 HD is thought, by the writers of SS, to be equivalent to a 10th level character. Thus there is a +4 level adjustment.

mattcolville

Adventurer
Yeah, I understand the definition of LA, I just don't know why I need to know that if I already know the creature's ECL and HD. What do you do with LA?

drnuncheon

Explorer
mattcolville said:
Yeah, I understand the definition of LA, I just don't know why I need to know that if I already know the creature's ECL and HD. What do you do with LA?

Nothing, really - you only use LA to figure out ECL, so if you already have the ECL, you don't need it at all.

J

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
The way I see it, LA is one of the two "source" values used to compute ECL (the other being HD), not the other way around. Instead of going "Oh, here's a 6 HD race with ECL 10, I guess that's LA +4" you'd go "Oh, here's a 6 HD race with LA +4, I guess that makes it ECL 10."

It also makes things easier with 1 HD things that replace their "base" HD with class HD.

Baron Von StarBlade

As others have stated its really just a guide to show how to make monsters with multiple HD playable. Of course I was wondering if you could take a 1HD version of a monster (say a Lizard Man) with only the LA as the ECL. That would probably be broken though :D

Spatula

Explorer
mattcolville said:
A monster PC's Effective Character Level isn't a static value, it is the sum of the PC's HD + the race's level adjustment. Hit dice go up as you add on class levels, so you use the LA to compute the PC's new ECL as it's HD increases.

mattcolville

Adventurer
Right, but if I have a monster here that says it's ECL is 8, and I give it 2 more HD or 2 class levels, again, I don't need to know the LA. In both cases, I just add 2 to the ECL.

Remove ads