Crossed Paths - Part I

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc looks both surprised and relived at the sudden gathering of people at his table. "Good, good, it looks like we're all here." He faces the Slav. "I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, but if Tem trusted you, then your company is welcome." He raises his own mug in toast after Nathaniel's speech, eyebrows raised. Gods, he's a talkative one. But he may have a point, if a little flamboyantly put. Brioc pauses for a moment, checking no outsiders are sat too close to the table, before continuing.

"Do any of you know of the substance called Greek Fire? It's a highly flammable, jelly-like substance, that burns with a hot flame. The heat of the flame is such that even water will not quench it." Brioc pauses to take another sip of his wine.

"My father has discovered the location of the only known list of the ingredients required to make this Greek fire. He has tasked me, and I would assume your masters, with finding this list before it falls into the hands of those who might use it for ill purposes." He stops talking as the barmaid approaches the table.

"I'm glad to hear that Drusilia is not badly hurt." He smiles in return at the barmaid. He catches the scent of Glaucon's meal and adds. "I think myself and my other companions will join Glaucon here in a meal." He takes two gold pieces out of his belt pouch and passes them to the barmaid. "I'll have beef, and that should cover my friend's meals as well." He grins at the assembled company. "Unless one of you has expensive tastes."

Inez Hull

First Post
"Brioc, if there is some concern over where this formula may end up, may I ask who possesses it now? And is this substance truly such a danger? I have heard of it before and can confirm to you all that it is possible to create substances which will burn even when saturated in water, in fact which will even inflame when exposed to water. Is such knowledge truly such a great secret? I am sure there must be many alchemists who are knowledable of its manufacture."

Eldorian

First Post
Glaucon listens to this bookish man named Nathaniel proclaim the fellows sitting around the table to be heroes, and his brothers. At the end of the speach, he gives a great, belly laugh, drinks his entire mug of wine in toast, and smacks Nathaniel good naturedly on the back, with tears of mirth coming from his eyes. Then, all of a sudden, he becomes very serious, and says to the monk, "You are a very funny man. I like you. I have had men who would be my brothers who are less than half so good as you, I think."

Soon after, when his food arives, Glaucon smiles broadly, winks at the barmaid, then draws a dagger from his sash and stabs it into his beef. He slices his food into pieces slightly larger than bite size, and proceeds to eat using only his dagger.

"Greek fire," he says with a mouth half full. "I am Greek. This should be easy for me, or don't you think? To know its secret.. The knowledge of the ancients. This should be fun."

When Brioc pays for his food, points at him with his dagger and says, "You. You. You I like too." He pauses to swallow. "Even though you are a barabarian," he says with a grin.

OOC: Please write up a description of your character in this thread, if you haven't already: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49437
It will help us keep track of everyone, I think.

Jarval

Explorer
"As I understand it, Greek Fire is a touch more, ah, potent than any existing alchemical substances. No one currently possesses this knowledge, as it has been lost for many, many years, but we are not the only group seeking Greek Fire. If it is a potent as my father thinks, it could present a danger to even the Empire."

Brioc smiles as Glaucon waves his knife at him. "Glad to have your approval, even if I am a barbarian."

Manzanita

First Post
The shy barmaid returns, bring a large platter of meat, roasted potatoes & dark bread. She sets it in the middle of the table, along with a stack of plates, and a pitcher of water.

Inez Hull

First Post
"Ah well Brioc, alchemy is not one of the arts that I have taken to as well as my master would have had me. Whenever he set me formulae to research I would always find myself reading a treatise on politics or a biography of a saint or looking at old maps instead. Very well then, we have a task ahead of us to regain this secret knowledge before it falls into the wrong hands. Whose hands might they be, do we know who else is serching for it?"

Ehldannis begins picking at his food with both knife and fork, his attention focused on Brioc and his new companions as the conversation continues.

Manzanita

First Post
A neatly dressed young man enters discretely. He wears leather armor, and carries a short sword at his side. He smiles & nods at any of the company who meets his eyes. He approaches Brioc. “Sir, I’ve located a boat that can take us to our destination. It seems the captain is concerned about pirates. I told him my master and his companions were powerful warriors. “ His eyes stray to Ecgthow. “I think the captain will be convinced, and will give you free passage. He did ask me what your business was in Sevastopol. I told him that he would have to ask you about that. His name is Vladamir Tolstoy. He wishes to set sail in the morning, but it would be best if you could see him tonight. If you wish to go, it will be easy to find him at the harbor. I could stay & arrange accommodations for the night.”

Khenemetsobek

First Post
Khen chuckles softly. Pirates and Flaming Water. Rediculous. He looks Brioc directly in the eyes, "Well then how long is this scavenger hunt going to take? I find it quite odd that your father has called in people from around your empire to find him a recipe book." Khen continues nursing his wine.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"A recipe book? Clearly, good Egyptian, this is more than honeyed cakes we are talking about! This is Greek fire! Such a powerful tool should never be allowed to fall into the hands of the wicked."

With that, he takes out his little black book and jots something down.

Jarval

Explorer
Inez Hull said:
"Very well then, we have a task ahead of us to regain this secret knowledge before it falls into the wrong hands. Whose hands might they be, do we know who else is serching for it?"
"That point I am a little unsure on. My father told me they would be disguised as Romans, but knew little more than that. We should stay on our guard."

"You've done well, Mendicus, quick work. I'll go and have a word with Captain Tolstoy after I've finished here." Brioc smiles at the young man who has just entered the tavern. "And yes, I think finding us rooms for the night is a sound plan."
Khenemetsobek said:
"Well then how long is this scavenger hunt going to take? I find it quite odd that your father has called in people from around your empire to find him a recipe book."
"I really don't know how long. If the gods are with us, then our luck may be good, and it only take us a few weeks. If the information given to my father proves to be inaccurate, then it make take several months."

Remove ads