D&D 5E [GUIDE] Pacts, Patrons, and Power, a Warlock guide

mellored

Legend
Drow come with Faerie Fire, gives everyone advantage to hit affected creatures, and Darkness, each once per day.
True, but they also have sunlight sensitivity. Which has a real impact on eldrich blast.

Still a good race, and you can avoid sunlight, possibly with darkness or in an underdark campaign, but it keeps them from being a top choice.

Patryn13

First Post
Thinking about building a Variant Human Polearm Master Hexblade Warlock / Divine Soul Sorcerer. Using your guide as a base I was planning out the following. Any thoughts? Would like opinions on spell selections and invocations. I'm wondering if Cloak of Flies is worth picking up over Ascendent Step. Thinking about trying to fit Misty Step, Fear, and Charm Person/Monster in somewhere during Warlock progression. Also debating which is better to pick up first: Cone of Cold or Synaptic Static.

1 | +Eldritch Blast, +Booming Blade, +Shield, +Hex | Polearm Master | Warlock 1
2 | +Hellish Rebuke | +Agonizing Blast, +Devil’s Sight | Warlock 2
3 | -Hellish Rebuke, +Darkness, +Suggestion | Warlock 3
4 | +Minor Illusion, +Hold Person | +Great Weapon Master | Warlock 4
5 | -Hex, +Invisibility, +Hypnotic Pattern | +Thirsting Blade | Warlock 5
6 | +Fly | Warlock 6
7 | -Darkness, + Shadow of Moil, +Banishment | +Mask of Many Faces | Warlock 7
8 | +Dimension Door | +2 Charisma | Warlock 8
9 | -Hold Person, +Hold Monster, +Cone of Cold | +Ascendent Step | Warlock 9
10 | +Friends | Warlock 10
11 | -Suggestion, +Blink, +Synaptic Static | +Mass Suggestion | Warlock 11
12 | +Lifedrinker | +2 Charisma | Warlock 12
13 | +Summon Greater Demon | +Forcecage | Warlock 13
14 | Warlock 14
15 | -Invisibility, +Banishing Smite, +Phantasmal Killer | +Dominate Monster | -Devil’s Sight, +Vision of Distant Realms, +Shroud of Shadow | Warlock 15
16 | +Warcaster | Warlock 16
17 | -Shadow of Moil, + Elemental Weapon, +Counterspell | +Foresight | Warlock 17
18 | +Guidance, +Mage Hand, +Green-Flame Blade, +Prestidigitation, +(Divine Magic), +Absorb Elements, +Healing Word | Sorcerer 1
19 | +Command | Sorcerer 2
20 | -(Divine Magic), +Misty Step, +Mirror Image | +Quickened Spell, +Extend Spell |Sorcerer 3

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Thinking about building a Variant Human Polearm Master Hexblade Warlock / Divine Soul Sorcerer. Using your guide as a base I was planning out the following. Any thoughts?
Seems fine. But it depends on you party. While it's good to have a plan, it's better to play first and adapt. No need to stress out over level 20 if your campaign stops at level 6.

How many allies can take advantage of hold person? Hexblade crits are nothing special as most of the damage boost is not dice.

You might also want to keep devils sight. You don't have darkvision, or a light cantrip. Unless your ally does it for you.

Cone of Cold or Synaptic Static.
Since your in melee, might as well go with cone of cold.

BlueMoonX79

First Post
Spell/invocation suggestions for a Half-Elf Fighter 2/Hexblade 7, anyone?

My DM just had me finish a side plot where I become the warrior for the Raven Queen over the Fiend I had before, so he's letting me reset my spells and invocations as I wish before next session.

Note: I took the Dueling fighting style, and thus have a shield and wear plate mail for now.

starryknight64

First Post
Booming Blade: A weapon cantrip that allows Dex based Warlocks to deal decent damage. Works superb with warcaster to have a nasty OA. Also works well with darkness + devils sight, since you need to see the enemy in or order to OA, you can hit and run, making them trigger the secondary damage.

Newby here... what's OA in this context? A Google search yielded Oriental Adventures? But that's for Advanced DnD. Is that right in this context?

Remove ads