D&D 5E [GUIDE] Pacts, Patrons, and Power, a Warlock guide

gyor

Legend
For VGTM races you have

Aasimar, Purebloods, Tritons, and Kobolds make for the best Warlocks. Firbolgs and Tabaxi both make for every interesting warlocks.

mellored

Legend
Thoughts on life cleric 2 then going bladlock vs fighter 1 then bladelock?
I don't know what your getting with cleric 2.

Cleric 1 is good for armor and a variety of utility/support.
Fighter 1 is armor and more damage, plus con saves which can be good.

Overall I would pick fighter, though it depends on the parry.

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
I guess it would be party dependant, but since the game is mostly murder hobo fun town i will go fighter 1.
Life cleric 2 has armor and utility in Guidance and other spells plus aoe healing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

Dasem

First Post
IMO Moderately Armored is borderline Gold for VHumans, so long as they're traditional Warlocks (Not melee). It's also good if you rolled stats and want to be a a Strength based Warlock.

With it, you can just set your Dex at 13 and forget about it. That means you can have 16 Con, 16 Cha, and 13 Dex. That's assuming a normal, EB using Warlock. Absolutely do-able.

Scale is 14 AC and 50 GP, and a Shield is +2 at 10GP. For sixty gold, not impossible at first level, you're at 18 AC at first level. Since the Feat grants you +1 to Dex, that sets your Dexterity to 14 and you're set.

For a Warlock, that is HUGE. Plus it frees up an Invocation so you don't have to spend it on Mage Armor.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
IMO Moderately Armored is borderline Gold for VHumans, so long as they're traditional Warlocks (Not melee). It's also good if you rolled stats and want to be a a Strength based Warlock.

With it, you can just set your Dex at 13 and forget about it. That means you can have 16 Con, 16 Cha, and 13 Dex. That's assuming a normal, EB using Warlock. Absolutely do-able.

Scale is 14 AC and 50 GP, and a Shield is +2 at 10GP. For sixty gold, not impossible at first level, you're at 18 AC at first level. Since the Feat grants you +1 to Dex, that sets your Dexterity to 14 and you're set.

For a Warlock, that is HUGE. Plus it frees up an Invocation so you don't have to spend it on Mage Armor.
It depends on the party. If you are ranged, and you have 3 melee guys who love to run in front, you're not going to be taking too many AC attacks, and something like inspiring leader would do more for the party.

If you don't have meat shields, then yea, take it.

Blanket

First Post
Ok... I may be missing something, but you mentioned all warlocks can use shortsword and booming blade for near same damage as dex bladelock. Totally on board. But... Where is the shortsword prof coming from? Was there errata to add it? Thought we only got simple weapons.

mellored

Legend
Ok... I may be missing something, but you mentioned all warlocks can use shortsword and booming blade for near same damage as dex bladelock. Totally on board. But... Where is the shortsword prof coming from? Was there errata to add it? Thought we only got simple weapons.
My mistake.

Dagger and booming blade then.

mellored

Legend
Mello my man...yah gotta review the Hexblade
Since you asked so nicely.

Hexblade: Makes a solid gish, but makes an exception eldritch blaster. This get's ridiculous at level 14+. You can be unhittable (19AC + 5 shield + disvatange from darkness + 50% chance to not be targetable from blink + 50% chance to avoid an attack from armor of hex), you'll do tonns of damage (+15 to +24 damage with eldrich blast), and regenerate any damage you do take. That's before adding any feats like inspiring leader.
[sblock]
Spells

1st
Shield: Great at low level, but with warlocks scaling slots it get's some competition as you level. Still helpful if surrounded at higher levels.
©Wrathful Smite: Frightened isn't bad, except when your already in melee. It completely fails to scale, so trade it out.

2nd
©Branding Smite: Minimal extra damage, and a very niche effect.
©Magic Weapon: Modest buff that last for a long time, and scales well. Note this allows blade pact to use a crossbow. At spell level 3, switch to elemental weapon, at spell level 4 switch back to magic weapon (+2 weapon > +1 with 1d4 damage), and at spell level 5, go to elemental weapon again.

3rd
Blink: A strong defensive spell that doesn't require concentration.
©Elemental Weapon: An upgraded magic weapon with the same nice long durration. As noted, magic weapon is superior when you have 4th level slots.

4th
Phantasmal Killer: Fear at a long range means you can keep someone out of battle, as well as deal some damage.
©Staggering Smite: The best of your smites. Which isn't saying a whole lot.

5th
Cone of Cold: I don't know what this has to do with hex blades, but it's a nice large AoE damage great for wiping out low level creatures, something you might otherwise be missing.
Destructive Wave: About the same damage as cone of cold, but ally friendly and knocks down. You also need to be closer. Both are Con saves.

1: Hex Warrior: Medium armor, shields, and attack with cha. Finally have a good baseline for a gish, though it only brings you up to a baseline.
Hexblades Curse: This is just a bad though though mechanic for a gish. At high levels, if hit something with a sword and you get +6 damage, but if you use eldritch blast, you get 24 damage (plus a little extra from the d10 crits). It also makes for a nice dip for fighters, who can get similar results. Healing is pretty good as well.

6: Shadow Hound; Another ability that works better with eldritch blast.

10: Armor of Hexes: 50% chance to be missed against your one target.

14: Master of Hexes: A major upgrade. Now you can do huge extra damage to everyone, regenerate a massive amount of health, and gain constant defensive bonuses.
[/sblock]

If you remove the hex's ability to work on EB (or scorching ray...), I would say it's black to blue.

Last edited:

Remove ads