D&D 5E [GUIDE] Pacts, Patrons, and Power, a Warlock guide

mellored

Legend
Arcane trickster(shortbow) and Eldritch Knight(Sword and Board)

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app
Darkness will screw up the rogue. He will have both advantage (target can't see him) and disavantage (can't see the target) which cancel out, but the disavantage will stop his sneak attack.

More notably, you lack any AoE (rogues being extra bad at groups). So i'd suggest shatter. Not something to cast every battle, but great against a pack of kobolds. Upgrade to destructive wave at 9.
And consider some utility like fly, or dispell magic.

mellored

Legend
EB seems really hard to exceed, and it's ranged.

If I'm playing a single-classed warlock (point buy, can't count on specific magic items), are any of the weapon builds superior then just spamming EB? Even including the UA articles. I'm talking a build played from 1st through 10th or 12th.
Blade with polearm master, great weapon master, and spells for advantage (darkness + devils sight, greater invisibilty, foresight) will out damage EB. Not sure i'd call it "superior" since it's cost a lot, but you'll be comepeting with the barbarian while still having at-will disguise self.

Also tank-locks can be good. Advantage + sentinel = very hard to escape. Add AC (hex, feat, or Dex), THP (inspiring leader, fiend, armor of agathys), and possibly warcaster with booming blade. Of course, you need a party that can take advantage of it.

Though both should still take EB for ranged backup. No reason to avoid it.

mellored

Legend
New stuff.

Aspect of the Moon (tome): Good utility if your not an elf.

Cloak of Flies: ???

??? (blade): ???

???

???

??? (chain): ???

Improved Pact Weapon (blade pact): This helps blades out damage eldrich blast. If just a little. Worth much less if you have a magic weapon.

Grasp of Hadar (eldritch blast): Nice at-will control, but warlocks generally don't want to pull enemies closer. Can be combined with repelling blast and a zone (cloud of daggers, wall of fire) to push someone out, and pull back in, forcing them to take the zone damage a second time.

Lance of Lethargy (eldritch blast): Yet another control option for eldritch blast. Combines nicely with repelling blast, to keep enemies away.

Maddening Hex: Nice damage when you get it, but fades pretty quick. And given that hex also uses bonus actions, you won't get a lot of use out of it. You also probably won't be using hex as your spell against hordes. Ok for hexblades, but still not great.

Relentless Hex: ???

???

Tomb of Levistus: ???

Tricksters Escape: Generally not needed unless your DM really likes grappling monsters and capturing you. At least it doesn't take a spell slot.

Maybe more on the next page.

Saurdaux

First Post
Darkness will screw up the rogue. He will have both advantage (target can't see him) and disavantage (can't see the target) which cancel out, but the disavantage will stop his sneak attack.

Should still be OK, per PHB pg. 173:

If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, you are considered to have neither of them, and you roll one d20. This is true even if multiple circumstances impose disadvantage and only one grants advantage or vice versa. In such a situation, you have neither advantage nor disadvantage.

So if you have both, you end up with neither and can still sneak attack if you have a buddy nearby. Makes the Darkness trick a bit less selfish.

mellored

Legend
You probably want to update the stats section too since a hexblade with blade pact is not going to treat strength as primary.
Done.

Also, I misread shadows of moil. You are "heavily obscured to others."
Meaning advantage on all attacks, disadvantage to be hit, and proction from many spells. It even against true sight and blindsight.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Done.

Also, I misread shadows of moil. You are "heavily obscured to others."
Meaning advantage on all attacks, disadvantage to be hit, and proction from many spells. It even against true sight and blindsight.

Thanks. BTW, You missed the "gift of the ever living ones" invocation for chain pact.

Remove ads