D&D 5E Advice for Level 16 Fighter Feat/Stat bumb.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
At such high levels I don't think you'll meet to many bad guys without magical attacks, so I think HAM will be rather limited.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
You'd be surprised. Maybe 5% of the creatures in the Monster Manual have magical attacks.

TallIan

Explorer
You'd be surprised. Maybe 5% of the creatures in the Monster Manual have magical attacks.
Ok, I'll admit to regurgitating that from various guides, I haven't analysed the MM that much.

However, many higher CR monsters do have attacks that are not PBS or do other types of damage on top of PBS damage.

Overall I'd take Tough over HAM if only because of it's predictability. You know exactly how many HP you have and they absorb ALL damage. Worst case scenario, you only take PBS damage and Tough is 33% worse than HAM.

Tall

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mellored

Legend
Compared to the 32 hp (16 max+ 16 from HD) from +2 Con or 32HP from toughness...

HAM needs to reduce 11 hits a day to be better (14 at level 20).

An adult blue dragon does 15 damage on a hit. Or 165 damage in 11 hits.

So HAM could be better if your DM only makes weapon attacks and hordes of smaller creatures. But 1 lighting beath for 66 damage and +2 con wins. Plus it doesn't scale like Con does, and you get +1 to Con saves.

At lower level, HAM easily wins, particularly if you can make use of the +1 Str.

mellored

Legend
An adult blue has three attacks a turn, that's 4 turns under the dragon's tender mercies to pull even, discounting other battles.
That's 4 turns if you were hit every time.
And an adult blue dragons breath lighting every 3 turns.

2 lighting blast, and hit every time, you'd be dead before HAM had long enough to be better than +2 Con. Not even counting what you'd get form hit dice.
Not counting other spell casters.

Death knight is similar. It works against it's melee attack, but not against it's 2x 70 magic damage attacks.

HAM can certainly be better in some campaigns, particularly against hordes of lower level creatures, but IME magic damage makes up a good 1/3 of the attacks at that level keeping HAM behing +2 Con.
Not without making use of the +1 Str anyways.

TallIan

Explorer
I think we are comparing Tough vs HAM. At level 20, that would be 40 up or 14hits for HAM to come out on top.

Between +2 CON and either feat I would say +2 CON wins hands down.

Tall

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases