How to make a miniature storage bin.

frankthedm

First Post
[imagel]http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5313/planominicaseis4.gif[/imagel]How to make a mini bin.

Stuff you need:
closing tool box or bin
a several sheets of cardboard cut to slightly smaller than the bin
several sheets of 1/4" foam or bed cushion / egg crate foam
a few sheets of 1" or 1.5" thick foam [optional]
masking tape

Box lid
Extra foam for stability
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis {Small minis on 20MM bases/ pennies , Rats, Ratmen Gobbo's, dogs]
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis ( Medium Minis on 1 inch washers and bases)
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis (Big 40mm based minis, Reaper Ettin, Chainmail Owlbear, Ogres and Minotaurs)
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis {Calvary;1”x2” bases Orcs on Dire wolves, Bretonian Knights on Horseback}
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis {cheap sturdy plastic minis from box sets.}
1/4” Foam sheet
bottom of box.

Masking tape should be strong enough to hold the foam layers in place to the cardboard. Take a 5 inch piece of the tape. Connect the two end to make an O and use the tape piece as you would use double sided tape. For extra STR. I have two layers of cardboard taped together for each cardboard layer.

The design above is good for decently built and properly sealed minis, but if you don’t want a lot of pressure put on certain fragile minis, like a lot of the WotC multi pieces or a mini that has a lot of easily bent parts, try this;

Take a 1 inch or 1.5” thick layer of foam the same size as one of your layers and cut out with a sharp blade a nook for a fragile mini. Keep doing this until you have filled the sheet with nooks for fragile minis.

1” foam sheet with minis in nooks [Chainmail glaiver, musketeers with pewter rapiers.
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard

Attachments

• base and boxjp.jpg
    base and boxjp.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,437
Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
An addition that could be added is a loop of string attached to the two narrow sides each layer, the string can be used as handles to lift each layer. I saw this on a homeade box similar to the one above and it worked really well.

pogre

Legend
I used this concept to create a box for my hirst arts dungeon rooms on a little larger scale and it works great.

Reese

Banned
Banned
This is a great thread. I have so many star wars minis and nowhere to go with them, so I'll be making one of these for myself soon. Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases