D&D 5E [GUIDE] NADRIGOL's Melee Bladesinger Guide

GarrettKP

Explorer
Okay. And in what sceanario does a creature ever do enough damage to drop you in a single hit? Because if it's not a single hit, keeping the AC is better than keeping the HP.

Fighting an Ancient Dragon is the first thing that comes to mind. Breath weapons drop you quick. But it's not JUST about doing it in one hit. It's about having your health chipped away throughout a day of adventuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Fighting an Ancient Dragon is the first thing that comes to mind. Breath weapons drop you quick. But it's not JUST about doing it in one hit. It's about having your health chipped away throughout a day of adventuring.

Which doesn't happen with your defenses from your concentration spells still up. When it does happen is when you lose concentration because you went for an extra +1HP per level.

Chipped away health, meet spending hit dice, he's handy in a pinch if there's no healers. As for you, lost Concentration, you're still stuck with Spending another spell slot I'm afraid.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If your DM changes a rule to smite you or your character find a new group. There is no good reason to make some forgo a save because you don't want them to succeed.

Yeah sure, make it seem hostile.
The DM has the final say. If to cross the desert he calls for a check, that's his prerogative. There is no entitlement to the player. Checks, saves and attacks are all at his discretion, to be used when the outcome of a situation is uncertain.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Which doesn't happen with your defenses from your concentration spells still up. When it does happen is when you lose concentration because you went for an extra +1HP per level.

Chipped away health, meet spending hit dice, he's handy in a pinch if there's no healers. As for you, lost Concentration, you're still stuck with Spending another spell slot I'm afraid.

Hit Dice for a Wizard are pretty bad overall. D6s. Good luck getting most of your health back with those.

You still seem to think taking tough means you can't make saving throws. That's not even close to the case. It's a 1 point difference. The math suggests it doesn't come into play 19 out of 20 times you roll saves.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Hit Dice for a Wizard are pretty bad overall. D6s. Good luck getting most of your health back with those.

You still seem to think taking tough means you can't make saving throws. That's not even close to the case. It's a 1 point difference. The math suggests it doesn't come into play 19 out of 20 times you roll saves.

Except it's a d6+Con mod. Which is bigger than if you take Tough too, so there's that.

You seem to think that an extra 20HP and a slightly higher HPMax is the bee's knees, when really it just means you're slightly less squishier the first time you're hit, at the cost of finding it harder to concentrate, heal, or endure.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Yeah sure, make it seem hostile.
The DM has the final say. If to cross the desert he calls for a check, that's his prerogative. There is no entitlement to the player. Checks, saves and attacks are all at his discretion, to be used when the outcome of a situation is uncertain.

It is hostile. Especially since it has been saves vs harsh weather in every edition I've played. There isn't a single reason for it to be a check.

Checks are for when your character is actively doing something that can fail. Saves are when your character is withstanding something affecting him. That's the definition of harsh weather. And it's presented in the rule books as using saves to handle those exact scenarios.

Either way, I'm playing in Adventure League. The format follows rules as written, and so I'd never run into a DM who ignores the rule just because.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Except it's a d6+Con mod. Which is bigger than if you take Tough too, so there's that.

You seem to think that an extra 20HP and a slightly higher HPMax is the bee's knees, when really it just means you're slightly less squishier the first time you're hit, at the cost of finding it harder to concentrate, heal, or endure.

Gee I wonder what the biggest issue with a Bladesinger is? I was under the impression that it was how squishy they were. I guess I was wrong tho since the feat that fixes that issue is so terrible.

It's not slightly less squishy the first time you're hit. It's less squishy for your whole life. Hitting you doesn't mean you lose Tough.

My level 8 Singer has 66 HP. The fighter I play with is level 8 and has 68 HP. His AC is 19 and my Singers is 25-27 with Shield. His Con saves are +7, my Con saves are +5.

Personally that's a pretty favorable comparison IMO. In 2 levels I can further help my Con checks by preventing damage with Song of Defense. Anytime I get hit for a large amount I can burn a slot and take little to no damage. Which also means my Con save is easy.

But I still get to have HP comparable to a fighter for when I can't avoid every attack or make every save. I don't have to rely on spells to keep me alive every combat. Which means I can preserve some spell slots and still fight in the front.

I'll take that every day over an extra +1 to one save.

Remove ads